PDA

View Full Version : The best part of the day....

William
07-07-2005, 05:23 PM
What's the best thing I did today?

Go for a ride? No, it was fun but no.

Work & make money? Yes, but no.

Spending time with my children? You got it. We had a great time experimenting with bending light & the surface tension of water. I think it went over my four year olds head, but she had fun anyway. My son who's seven was grasping the concepts which was very cool to watch. I find coming up with experiments that are child friendly and lots of fun is a great way to challenge their minds and have fun to boot.

just thought I would share.

Hey, thanks for rea......sorry, that ones already taken.;)

William

BURCH
07-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Being that I am not a father, I can only speak from the kid standpoint. My father was/is a science teacher and would always do things like that when I was young. My favorite was when he taped a balloon to a straw and mounted the straw to a string. Blow up the balloon, release, and watch it go. This teaches the idea of propulsion....hmmm maybe I can rig something like this up on my bike :rolleyes:

Definately cool and some good memories too.

weisan
07-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Heck, yeah! Now, go ride your bike...

sunninho
07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
My favorite was when he taped a balloon to a straw and mounted the straw to a string. Blow up the balloon, release, and watch it go. This teaches the idea of propulsion

He tapes the balloon to a straw

O---I

Then mounts the straw to a string

O--I~~

I'm sorry, I'm curiously interested, but I'm kinda lost on the mechanics of the experiment. :confused:

BURCH
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
He tapes the balloon to a straw

O---I

Then mounts the straw to a string

O--I~~

I'm sorry, I'm curiously interested, but I'm kinda lost on the mechanics of the experiment. :confused:

Ok, I tried to type that without working too hard:

1) Take a string > 10 feet long and run it thru a straw.

2) Mount the sting wherever (inside house is best as to not have wind resistance). Tie it between two lamps or just tape it to the walls.

3) You should, at this point, be able to push the straw from one end of the string to the other. it can glide back and forth, but won't dismount from the string...unless the straw is cut of something.

4) Tape a deflated balloon to the straw so that the nozzle runs parrallel with the sting.

5) Blow up the balloon and then hold the nozzle shut

6) Let go of the nazzle and balloon and it will cause the straw/air rocket to glide down the string. This is assuming that you didn't start the balloon facing the end of the string.

Hope that is more clear. Loved that one as a kid.

William
07-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Being that I am not a father, I can only speak from the kid standpoint. My father was/is a science teacher and would always do things like that when I was young. My favorite was when he taped a balloon to a straw and mounted the straw to a string. Blow up the balloon, release, and watch it go. This teaches the idea of propulsion....hmmm maybe I can rig something like this up on my bike :rolleyes:

Definately cool and some good memories too.

That's a good one Burch. :cool: It will be the next one I set up. :banana:

William

Louis
07-07-2005, 11:13 PM
I was pretty impressed when I boiled water in a paper cup.

"Place a card on top of a full glass of water, flip it over, release the card, and the water stays in place" is an oldy, but a goody.

When I was a kid I had a few books with all sorts of cool things like that, and now I'm a engineer...

Louis

PS Optical illusions are also great. MC Escher, etc. The one below is absolutely incredible. (Print it out and cut out the two lettered squares if you don't believe me.)

William
07-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Nice! :cool:

Good Ol Escher. I have a couple of books on his work. Time to pull them out.

William :)

William
07-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey, maybe I could set up a field trip?

Economics of smoothies with Fly,
Math & Domestic Zoology with Sandy,
Bartending with the drunk (well, maybe we'll wait a few years for that one :no: ),
Human relations with the Jerk,
Law & the friendly Pugs with Kevin,
The use of Primary colors & Alternative diets with Climb,
Myofacia release & fine coffee grinding with Too Tall,
Fight Choreography& general rowdiness with Roy (side points by Kevan & Sandy)
Knee Rehab & the proper use of a Terraplane with Ginger,
Fine Hospitality & introduction to the "Element" with Aneida Ride,
Brazing & Metallurgy with a side bar into the proper use of Bananas with e-Richie (Guest speakers MadRocketScientist & German Boxers),
Latin & the psychology of humor by Keno & csb

Whew, there's the rest of July. Who wants to volunteer for August??

William ;)

Guacamole
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
William,

If you're ever in the Albuquerque or Santa Fe area and have some time for lunch at our house, our son could use some of your teaching talent..

Guacamole :cool:

Kevan
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I love getting my kids involved in photography and film editing. Now, a work colleague has just boxed a road bike (might be time trail) and slipped it into the mailbox directed for my 14 yr old's use. I can't wait for him to catch the fever.

I have to play coy in order for him to discover his own love of the sport.

I'll eventually will post pictures.

William
07-08-2005, 02:19 PM
William,

If you're ever in the Albuquerque or Santa Fe area and have some time for lunch at our house, our son could use some of your teaching talent..

Guacamole :cool:

Hi Guacamole!

I've never been to New Mexico, but if I'm ever down that way I'll certainly drop you a line. You sure you want to try feeding me?? :confused:

William :)

beungood
07-09-2005, 12:24 AM
How bout bout an excercise on finding direction that ties in the sun? The second Shadow method.

First use a compass and lteach them about north and south and moss on the tree. Then explain there are a few ways to find it without a compass.

Push a stick in the ground. Wait 15 minutes and when the sun moves and starts a shadow place a second stick in the ground draw a line between the two points. these points will connect east and west,then draw a bisecting line and you have a rudimentary compass.... :fight:

Kevin
07-09-2005, 05:58 AM
It is great to see that I am not the only proud Dad who also rides a bike. Keep up the good work.

Kevin

soulspinner
07-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Had the week off. I was looking forward to getting more miles in than usual and being with my 9 year old. We did a tour de Pittsford which turned into a rolling birdwatching outing, followed by ice cream and Herbie the Lovebug. My little girl is becoming the climber I never was! Must be moms genes...Our children are our greatest resource and nurturing them is a privilege and a responsibility that gives great rewards...nice post William.