PDA

View Full Version : Top Pro Training

norcalbiker
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
When these guys (Cadel, Andy, Contador and others) are training for let say TDF. Do they just train on their bikes? Do they mix it with other form of training like running, jogging or swimming? Just curious. :confused:

sc53
08-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I remember reading in one of the books about Lance that in Girona, where he and his teammates lived and trained, they would avoid even WALKING down the street whenever possible, so I don't believe they do much cross-training. It's all on the bike, all the time.

Joachim
08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
There is a saying, if you want to get better riding your bike, ride your bike. No, they don't do any kind of other training during the season. It's only ride and recover. Some might do gym training during the off season, but not every pro does that. The jury is still out on that one.

norcalbiker
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Reason I asked this is because I'm going to do a double century and I really want to train for this event. But sometimes I don't have the time on weekdays to ride so I try to do some cardio by jogging 3 to 4 miles. I was told not to do this because it's going to ruin my legs. I thought it's better than sitting on my ass between M-F.

false_Aest
08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Reason I asked this is because I'm going to do a double century and I really want to train for this event. But sometimes I don't have the time on weekdays to ride so I try to do some cardio by jogging 3 to 4 miles. I was told not to do this because it's going to ruin my legs. I thought it's better than sitting on my ass between M-F.

Are you a pro?

If not don't sweat it.

Do what you can do.

norcalbiker
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Are you a pro?

No I am not a pro.

Do what you can do.

My thought exactly!

flydhest
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
there is no way it will ruin your legs.

Less time to train, and less specific training probably will yield less effective results, but that is the same as saying, "I am a recreational cyclist and as a result, cannot train like a pro." It's the truth, you live with it. Have fun.

jeffg
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM

As someone who has done doubles with minimal "training" time on the bike (Devil Mountain and Terrible Two this year so far, Knoxville and Solvang hopefully still to go), occassional running will in no way hurt your training and can help. I trail run on occassion in my Vibrams, and enjoy it. I tend not to run in the week or so leading up to a big ride, but often the first exercise after a double is a light hill run.

Especially if you are on limited time, running can help the aerobic engine ... efficiency on the bike is paramount, though

JMerring
08-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Less time to train, and less specific training probably will yield less effective results on the bike , but that is the same as saying, "I am a recreational cyclist and as a result, cannot train like a pro." It's the truth, you live with it. Have fun.

fixed it for ya

Charles M
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
To op question...

Most Top pros do substantial off bike training. Stability and core primarily, but it's become a priority for lots at this point...

Climb01742
08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
take a look at this:

http://vimeo.com/27367910

bart998
08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Don't worry about cross training. I won't hurt you. Look at triathletes... They train to run, ride, and swim. They may not be #1 at any given sport but they do all three very well.

norcalbiker
08-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't worry about cross training. I won't hurt you. Look at triathletes... They train to run, ride, and swim. They may not be #1 at any given sport but they do all three very well.

It's funny you said that, because that's what I told him. What about those traithletes like "Iron Man" :D

echappist
08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
As someone who has done doubles with minimal "training" time on the bike (Devil Mountain and Terrible Two this year so far, Knoxville and Solvang hopefully still to go), occassional running will in no way hurt your training and can help. I trail run on occassion in my Vibrams, and enjoy it. I tend not to run in the week or so leading up to a big ride, but often the first exercise after a double is a light hill run.

Especially if you are on limited time, running can help the aerobic engine ... efficiency on the bike is paramount, though
not any more so than effective biking can.

Less time to train, and less specific training probably will yield less effective results, but that is the same as saying, "I am a recreational cyclist and as a result, cannot train like a pro." It's the truth, you live with it. Have fun.

if i run just 3 miles (& i ran 3:40 in my first marathon in San Fran) after a prolonged layoff from running, my legs will get delayed onset muscle soreness for 4 days. That's 4 days of pain walking downstairs on which no training can be done.

beungood
08-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I had a hectic schedule last year and did alot of barefoot running when i was in a time crunch. It won't hurt you and will help you maintain your cardio to a degree. I did a century coming off this century and did well. I ran and did alot of backcountry/cross country skiing and core training and when the snow cleared enough to ride I found I lost very little and had a good start up..

avalonracing
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Most Euro-pro climbers are on a steady program of ZERO push-ups per year.