PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at the LBS

BURCH
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I was chatting with the owner of a local shop. Our conversation hit on wrenching and he mentioned how he very rarely gets tips, but that his mechanics do here and there. How we got to the conversation is pointless, but more important is what he said. I never would have thought to tip a mechanic at the bike shop.

I am not cheap and I usually tip where it seems obvious (I even throw a dollar in the tip jar at the local ice cream shop), But are you guys tipping your bike mechanics? I would never have thought to do this and now I am starting to feel like a bit of a dope....

Do you mechanics out there expect tips?

97CSI
07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Good service is good service. And, being so rare, a decent tip is definitely in order. Doesn't matter what the service is.

Big Dan
07-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Good service is good service. And, being so rare, a decent tip is definitely in order. Doesn't matter what the service is.

Gp 5 bucks plus tip???

You are really a good customer........ ;)

carving turns like no other............

PBWrench
07-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Tips, no. But I'll often bring a six or twelve pack for the thirsty wrenching crew.

Bill Bove
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
We get the occasional tip and it is appreciated. We have a couple resteraunts and bars nearby and we're occasionaly invited out for a beer or sandwich. I also really like getting a postcard from a customer on a bike trip. This spring I had three customers go on two seperate trips to the Giro, some of the souvineers that they brought back are cherished.

BURCH
07-07-2005, 06:23 PM
We get the occasional tip and it is appreciated.......

Hey, you went with "FATCAT" for the new shop name. I was wondering what you decided on. Nice! I really like it. Especially the logo.

Bill Bove
07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Come by if you ever get down here, yeah I know, why would somebody from the northeast want to come to Florida. Especially in Feburary... :rolleyes:

ZippRider
07-07-2005, 06:44 PM

I have a couple mechanics that work on my bike that do top notch work. I can usually walk in and get help right away or if it is something that may take time, I will get my bike back that evening or the next day. I tip these guys because they take good care of my ride.. :) People appreciate a little extra, you take care of your mechanic and he / she will take care of your bike..

Zipp

eddief
07-07-2005, 07:43 PM
the mechanics will "walk around the block" to answer my questions and do long searches for parts worth a nickel or dime in the inventory, but are worth much more than that to get a build done in MY workstand. That has been worth a $5 tip on a few occasions.

I have also had long rambling conversations about bikes with the infamous Kai at momo velo in Berkeley. But when he was in business I never found an occasion to purchase anything.

At one point I sent him a $25 gift certificate from Amazon.com. Unfortunately his infamous lack of reliability never had him even acknowledge the gift. At least my conscience is clear on that one.

Signed:

your normally cheap s.o.b.

ps: good service is worth its weight in gold.

dave thompson
07-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I've taken cases of Pepsi (for the young guys) and Fat Tire to the mechanics in my fave LBS. Not for a particular reason, just as an acknowledgement that they are appreciated of what they do for me.

David Kirk
07-07-2005, 08:19 PM
I spent about 12 years behind the counter of different shops back in the day and I can tell you that the box o' donuts or the case o' beer gets you moved to the front of the line everytime.

Mechanics are just folks who like to feel appreciated like everyone else. They work all day on thier feet, working on who knows what for usually small dollars. At a minimum ask who did the work on your bike, walk into the back room and shake his hand and give him a hardy thank you. You'll make his day.

Dave

sam
07-07-2005, 08:39 PM
It took a long time to find "my" mechanic, ...the one who can always find that little anoying creek the first time, the one that solves all my problems and just makes my bike perfect.

I always tip him "my" mechanic. How else can I really acknowledge my appriciation?

Ginger
07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I'll tell you that I've been spending less on tips since my close shop closed and I started wrenching for myself!

If you feel funny about cash, or there's too many people at the shop that help you that you feel awkward chasing them all down: Bring bagels in the morning, Pizza or Thai (shop guys will eat anything...just get a variety..) at lunch or in the evening , make coffee runs when they're stuck at the shop, homemade cookies any time...and I used to answer the phone for the guys when the shop was hugely busy. And a nice bottle or case of whatever their poison is at Christmas as well...

Now that I'm getting less work done I'll stop in and take orders for dinner and go pick it up and bring it back to the shop.

Although this reminds me I haven't taken them any treats lately...

If I'm on a tour and have wrenching done I throw a fiver in the tip box.

yeehawfactor
07-07-2005, 10:21 PM
there are universals in bike shops. one of them is every mechanic atleast tolerates newcastle.

mokmu
07-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Why does everybody think that mechanics live on donuts and beer :rolleyes:
Although the gesture is always appreciated, me and most of the guys I work with don't drink and try to eat pretty healthy.
But hey a tip's a tip, and no matter what it is, it always makes you feel good :)

Ginger
07-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah... some of my most recent wrenches are vegan and don't drink...know your audience...

Bill Bove
07-08-2005, 04:39 AM
[QUOTE=mokmu]Why does everybody think that mechanics live on donuts and beer :rolleyes:
Uh, because we do :beer: Beer and donuts, both major food groups are represented. someting to eat, something to drink.

Bill Bove
07-08-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah... some of my most recent wrenches are vegan and don't drink...know your audience...
Vegan? You mean they're aliens from the planet Vega? Earth living will soon corrupt them...once they've seen the bright lights of Krispy Kreme...

William
07-08-2005, 05:08 AM
A good reminder, thanks. :beer:

William

Hey, you went with "FATCAT" for the new shop name. I was wondering what you decided on. Nice! I really like it. Especially the logo.

PS: Hey Bill, where can I see the new logo?

Bill Bove
07-08-2005, 05:14 AM
PS: Hey Bill, where can I see the new logo?
My avatar. Took "Whitey, Shop Cat" off and added FATCAT Bicycles.
I'm hoping to have T-shirts, jersys, hats, pint glasses, thongs, and temporary tattoos in time for holiday gift giving :banana:

William
07-08-2005, 05:17 AM
My avatar. Took "Whitey, Shop Cat" off and added FATCAT Bicycles.
I'm hoping to have T-shirts, jersys, hats, pint glasses, thongs, and temporary tattoos in time for holiday gift giving :banana:

Nice. Count me in....esp the thong and temporary tattoos. :D

William

Ti Designs
07-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Yeah... some of my most recent wrenches are vegan and don't drink...

Wow, there's a huge chunk of life missing there...

Bruce Jacobs
07-08-2005, 07:11 AM
It takes forever to get a mechanic who will adjust the "fix" or build (whatever) to suit me, not to have a preconceived notion that it is the mechanic who is riding the bike. It is also important that for a person like me who has one MB and one RB that there is a reasonable turnaround. I can do a lot of fixes myself but my tool kit and knowledge is limited.

As was pointed out earlier, service is service. When I see the savant mechanic with a problem I don't want him to think, "Oh no, why did he come back?" I do a lot better than the $5 that was mentioned. I know if the OPs come in today my Legend will get built for the weekend. Looks like good weather for the weekend in NJ.

Bruce

BURCH
07-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I guess I have been thoroughly educated now. Thanks for the tips everybody...

To tell you the truth, I have just started to rely on mechanics at the shops within the last year. 10 years ago I could easily build a bike, but now technology (Integrated BB, Full suspension mtbs, hydralic brakes) have passed me by. Not to mention less free time.

97CSI
07-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Not to mention less free time.That one is the killer, isn't it.

scottcw
07-08-2005, 09:06 AM
For me it is a combination of how well the job is done AND if it is done on time. I recently took my Kirk in to a shop to have it built up. I called ahead of time and was told that it would be ready Sun. if I dropped it off Fri. When I arrived on Fri., I was told end of the following week. I asked if there was any way that it could be done by Tues. morning as I had the day off and wanted to take it for a ride. I was told no problem. I called on Tues. - not ready. It was finally ready Wed. evening, but now I can't pick it up 'til tonight because of work.

I am certainly not going to tip when I brought my bike to this shop specifically because they said they could turn it around quickly and it turned out that they could not.

lnomalley
07-08-2005, 09:14 AM
in order to have the kind of relationship with your talented bike shop mechanic.. the kind where they usually stop everything to help you... all you have to do is buy them lunch every now and then, slip them a tenner when they bro you out every now and then, drop in a randon starbucks gift cert every now and then, and respect them for what they do. also, never bring in a dirty bike (it's disrespetcful) and never assume that they are going to put you first. mechanics are people too.

treat them like the lovely lady they are.
:)

dave thompson
07-08-2005, 09:30 AM
This thread got me thinking about this tipping thing a little deeper. I've come to the conclusion that I tip the LBS mechanics in various ways (beer, Pepsi, pizza, money) because I like these guys, personally. Sometimes I'll go downstairs in the LBS and hang with them, bs'ing, chatting, talking bikes or politics, racing, guns or whatever (not taking them away from their jobs) They inquire about me, my wife, my son, my bike and seem genuinely interested in me. Like friends would. So, how do I treat friends? It's a back and forth thing isn't it? I have no expectations that I will be treated preferentially but am pleased when I am. I don't ask for deals but I am grateful when one is offered. Occasionally I will ask a favor but I'm not disappointed if it can't be granted. In any case, I like my friends to know that I like them and appreciate them.

weisan
07-08-2005, 09:43 AM
..I like my friends to know that I like them and appreciate them.

Dave-pal, I like and appreciate you....now go and get me this crank!
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5342&stc=1

Kevin
07-09-2005, 06:31 AM
I use the donut and coffee routine. I sometime give them tickets to the ball game.

Kevin

neverraced
07-09-2005, 11:35 AM
If the owner of any business needs tip money, they should find a new career.
Always tip employees.

Fixed
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
If I go into a shop, I go right to the back where the wrenches are and make it a point to be on a first name basis with these cats.They are more helpful than any sales guy ever could be. Owners come in many styles.The guy who used to own the shop I used to buy at always gave me huge discounts; I'd say "Rich how much is this?" and he would say, "Fixed how much do you want to pay?" I knew this guy since I was a kid, this guy started as mech. in the 50's and worked his way up to be owner, the present owner gives no discount but I am still friends with the mechs. They let me use their tools and a workstand anytime; these cats are the heart and soul of a bike shop. If you can afford to tip them - please do as most of these guys make only $10.00 a hour and they will take care of you. You tip everyone from your barber to your waiter, why not the one that cares for your safety and looks out for you! Most of these guys love bikes just like we do. Cheers.

froze
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I'll tip who ever worked on my bike howbeit owner or employee IF that person has done good work, because employees make squat working in a bike shop and most owners, especially small shop owners, make squat as well. But I do most of my repairs anyways so I rarely take it in.