PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist killed in NH

fjaws
08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110811/NEWS07/110819974/-1/news

Be careful out there.

Condolences to the family of this young woman.

Keith A
08-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Very sad indeed :( at least they know the identity of the alleged driver.

thwart
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
sounds a lot like a texting (or asleep at the wheel) kind of thing...

... likely hit at full road speed.

Pete Serotta
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
It is a tragic loss.

My prayers and thoughts go out to her. I am glad, she was doing what she enjoyed. That does not make it better though. :bike:

PETE

endosch2
08-12-2011, 12:27 PM
My 9 year old daughter and I have been commuting to her summer art camp via my mtn bike with attached trail-a-bike, about 2.7 miles each way.

Yesterday a young man about 20 almost made a left turn right into us. He had his right hand on the wheel, and in his left hand was his cell phone.

I am still really mad about it.

jimcav
08-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't get it--I am constantly passed by folks, with no oncoming traffic, and they act like the centerline of the road is a wall. I don't even bother to count the folks i see on the phone--and i like that so much better than the ones i see looking down and texting.

anyway, never been to NH, but the comments to that article are the most reasonable i've ever read in response to a "cyclist killed" report.

jim

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Based on the article, there was no cell service in the area, not sure where all the cell phone/texting talk has come from.

Sad that this happend, I feel for her family.

MadRocketSci
08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
tragic. i wish people would take driving more seriously. be conservative and assume that others may do something unpredictable. i've been in cars where people reach down for a drink and start driving in the shoulder. Or screw with the radio or ipod...

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
. . . doesn't mean she wasn't trying to use her phone. Or fiddle with those damn video screens that more and more cars seem to have to control things. Or fiddle with the little screen on her navigator box. Or eat a hamburger. Or adjust her make-up. Or read the paper. Or brush her hair. Or . . . :crap: :crap: :crap:

BBD

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
. . . doesn't mean she wasn't trying to use her phone. Or fiddle with those damn video screens that more and more cars seem to have to control things. Or fiddle with the little screen on her navigator box. Or eat a hamburger. Or adjust her make-up. Or read the paper. Or brush her hair. Or . . . :crap: :crap: :crap:

BBD

it doesn't mean we make a bunch of assumptions about which we nothing, does it? :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: (more headbangers than you) :)

fireproof1905
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
I hope justice is severed for the family sake, i know after being hit from behind myself that it only takes inches to go from nothing happening to death... There need to be better laws to protect riders. We deserve to be on the road just as much as a car or motorcycle yet time after time riders are left out to dry when accidents happen. :fight:

snah
08-13-2011, 02:02 AM
it doesn't mean we make a bunch of assumptions about which we nothing, does it? :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: (more headbangers than you) :)

I was almost taken out last year by a guy reading his mail, and driving 50+mph. Assumptions aside, another cyclist hit and killed by a motorist. No headbangers just :(

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2011, 06:09 AM

. . . I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that the driver was distracted by something. As usual, I'm open to being proved wrong.

The real question to me is what distracted her. But beyond a certain point it doesn't really matter. The cyclist is dead and I feel it's also a reasonably safe assumption--again based on previous experience--that the driver will not be punished appropriately to what she has done. It's just the too well-established pattern.

BBD

rugbysecondrow
08-13-2011, 07:15 AM
. . . I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that the driver was distracted by something. As usual, I'm open to being proved wrong.

The real question to me is what distracted her. But beyond a certain point it doesn't really matter. The cyclist is dead and I feel it's also a reasonably safe assumption--again based on previous experience--that the driver will not be punished appropriately to what she has done. It's just the too well-established pattern.

BBD

I agree that is is an aweful loss, sad indeed. That said, it doesn't mean we just make things up about what happend. That is my only point.

Samster
08-13-2011, 07:37 AM
accidents (http://www.amazon.com/Normal-Accidents-Living-High-Risk-Technologies/dp/0691004129) happen in lots of ways. it will be difficult at best to ever know what really happened.

gone
08-13-2011, 08:11 AM
accidents (http://www.amazon.com/Normal-Accidents-Living-High-Risk-Technologies/dp/0691004129) happen in lots of ways. it will be difficult at best to ever know what really happened.

I don't see this as an accident at all. Although I think it's unlikely that it was premeditated murder it was due to negligence and that's no accident. I wish the law would treat it that way.

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Not sure why, but I've had the experience of being able to text, but not get a call. Based on the article, there was no cell service in the area, not sure where all the cell phone/texting talk has come from.

Sad that this happend, I feel for her family.

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-13-2011, 08:15 AM
I've seen people try to do all of those things, while driving. . . . doesn't mean she wasn't trying to use her phone. Or fiddle with those damn video screens that more and more cars seem to have to control things. Or fiddle with the little screen on her navigator box. Or eat a hamburger. Or adjust her make-up. Or read the paper. Or brush her hair. Or . . . :crap: :crap: :crap:

BBD

Samster
08-13-2011, 08:37 AM
... it was due to negligence and that's no accident.unless you're reading an article different from what's posted, i don't see how you arrive at this conclusion from the OP's post. would enjoy hearing your reasoning process.

rugbysecondrow
08-13-2011, 10:04 AM
unless you're reading an article different from what's posted, i don't see how you arrive at this conclusion from the OP's post. would enjoy hearing your reasoning process.

Agreed.

gone
08-13-2011, 10:04 AM
unless you're reading an article different from what's posted, i don't see how you arrive at this conclusion from the OP's post. would enjoy hearing your reasoning process.
As a rule, if you hit someone from behind it's generally your fault (you were negligent). I suppose it's possible that the cyclist swerved in front of the car in such a way as to be unavoidable but I would think that unlikely.

Note that I didn't say the motorist was distracted (texting, on the phone, doing her hair, etc) although I think that's likely as well.

Barring a sudden swerve by the cyclist, it just stretches the bounds of credibility that a motorist who is even moderately skilled and has their undivided attention focused on their driving would hit someone. Even including a sudden swerve by the cyclist, if the motorist is passing in an area that is safe to pass and is giving sufficient room I'd think that to be avoidable as well.

I'll freely admit all this is speculation on my part but experience and the number of cyclists who are killed by negligent and/or aggressive drivers suggests that it's not unreasonable and perhaps even likely that was the case here.

rugbysecondrow
08-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Still all speculation. What is undivided attention? When was the last time you drove with undivided attention? While driving our attention is divide many times over. Pedestrians, cyclists, cars, dogs, deer, pot holes, sun glare, cross traffic...undivided attention is an unreasonable standard and not realistic.

Aggressive driving is not the same as negligent driving and both of which are not really quantifiable now. You don't know, you are making assumptions to substatiate the assumptions you made about this instance.

I find it interesting you would assume perfect cycling but imperfect driving. My experience has been drivers are better at what they do than cyclists.

The truth is that we know squat about what happened, and to pretend otherwise is just posturing.

gone
08-13-2011, 10:16 AM
You don't know, you are making assumptions to substatiate the assumptions you made about this instance.

As are you.

rugbysecondrow
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
As are you.

Que?

93legendti
08-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Still all speculation. What is undivided attention? When was the last time you drove with undivided attention? While driving our attention is divide many times over. Pedestrians, cyclists, cars, dogs, deer, pot holes, sun glare, cross traffic...undivided attention is an unreasonable standard and not realistic.

Aggressive driving is not the same as negligent driving and both of which are not really quantifiable now. You don't know, you are making assumptions to substatiate the assumptions you made about this instance.

I find it interesting you would assume perfect cycling but imperfect driving. My experience has been drivers are better at what they do than cyclists.

The truth is that we know squat about what happened, and to pretend otherwise is just posturing.

I agree. The Police haven't even completed their investigation, so those from the Serotta Forum who have already rendered a guilty verdict and scheduled the hanging of the driver can probably wait a few days.

CROYDON – A bicyclist was killed in a crash involving a pickup truck on Route 10 Wednesday evening.

“The bicycle was struck from behind by a pickup truck. They were both going in the same direction, heading south,” said Police Chief Richard Lee.

Lee said he is not releasing the name of the 32-year-old Croydon woman until he confirms that all of her family members have been notified.

The woman was riding alone and was wearing a helmet.

He used the words “massive” and “horrific” to describe her injuries.

“Any of those words would pertain to the injuries,” he said.

From the scene of the crash she was taken by Newport Ambulance Service to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon where she was pronounced dead.

Because there is no cell phone reception where the collision occurred, Lee, the town’s only police officer, was notified by a motorist who drove to the police station to tell him.

“It was a horrible location and there were multiple people out on the road trying to get service,” Lee said.

The crash was also reported to 911 by a nearby resident who was alerted by one of the people at the scene. The lack of reception caused a three or four minute delay in response, Lee said.

Lee said he is not releasing the name of the motorist involved in the crash until he completes his investigation. He plans to interview the driver and a witness Thursday night.

fireproof1905
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I agree. The Police haven't even completed their investigation, so those from the Serotta Forum who have already rendered a guilty verdict and scheduled the hanging of the driver can probably wait a few days.

CROYDON – A bicyclist was killed in a crash involving a pickup truck on Route 10 Wednesday evening.

“The bicycle was struck from behind by a pickup truck. They were both going in the same direction, heading south,” said Police Chief Richard Lee.

Lee said he is not releasing the name of the 32-year-old Croydon woman until he confirms that all of her family members have been notified.

The woman was riding alone and was wearing a helmet.

He used the words “massive” and “horrific” to describe her injuries.

“Any of those words would pertain to the injuries,” he said.

From the scene of the crash she was taken by Newport Ambulance Service to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon where she was pronounced dead.

Because there is no cell phone reception where the collision occurred, Lee, the town’s only police officer, was notified by a motorist who drove to the police station to tell him.

“It was a horrible location and there were multiple people out on the road trying to get service,” Lee said.

The crash was also reported to 911 by a nearby resident who was alerted by one of the people at the scene. The lack of reception caused a three or four minute delay in response, Lee said.

Lee said he is not releasing the name of the motorist involved in the crash until he completes his investigation. He plans to interview the driver and a witness Thursday night.

I don't think that people here have already rendered a guilty verdict it's just that we cyclists are considered the "step children" of the road. Also you can say all day that no one gives undivided attention when driving but that doesn't make is any less responsible for watching were you are going and whats in front of you. I mean the lady was right in front of him traveling in the same direction what was going on that they didn't see her, i mean he had to have been going fairly quickly.Every person is fully aware of the laws and responsiblity when it comes to driving a car no matter what size the "Vehicle" is you have to pay attention to the road. Making excuses on why the accident happen won't bring back the girl or make the family feel any less hurt. In my view there needs to be a serious reform of bikers rights on the road and the penailites need to be steeper for drivers who are involved in these if it is shown that they were distracted or anything that could have been controlled, until that happens bikers will keep getting the short end of the stick.... just my view... :fight:

thwart
08-13-2011, 08:53 PM
My experience has been drivers are better at what they do than cyclists. I would disagree. Multitasking and distracted driving are quite common.

When a cyclist is hit from behind by a pick-up truck and dies of horrific (very high velocity) injuries, it's very reasonable to assume fault of the driver.

rugbysecondrow
08-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I would disagree. Multitasking and distracted driving are quite common.

When a cyclist is hit from behind by a pick-up truck and dies of horrific (very high velocity) injuries, it's very reasonable to assume fault of the driver.

By percentage, i think that cyclists are less competent than drivers.

bluestu
08-13-2011, 09:34 PM
This story really disturbed me - in part because the wife has been hounding me lately on my jersey choices for riding to work. The latest story states 25 year old pickup driver and his passenger both 'fell asleep' 20 minutes into a drive home from work when this happened. It sounds suspicious at best...

http://www.wmur.com/newsarchive/28850451/detail.html

gdw
08-13-2011, 10:04 PM
"When a cyclist is hit from behind by a pick-up truck and dies of horrific (very high velocity) injuries, it's very reasonable to assume fault of the driver"

Have you ever spent anytime driving or biking the rural roads in New England? I'm not familar with the road on which this accident occured but quite a few of them are winding, hilly, narrow tunnels through the trees. It's not unusual to find the sun directly in your eyes as you round a corner. I know of an accident where a tour bus crested a small hill only to encounter a line of cars stopped by traffic further up the road. The driver was alert, not speeding, and locked his brakes as soon as he saw the car. He did everything possible but still hit the car and it moved forward striking the vehicle in front of it. That vehicle moved forward and struck the next car in line and eventually five cars were damaged. Lots of out of state tourists had to be taken away from the scene in neck braces. The State Police officer who had investigate and fill out the paper work did not ticket the bus driver or find him at fault, IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. Moral of the story is that not all accidents are caused by negligence and since none of us were there we really shouldn't assume anything other than it's a tragedy which cost the life of the unfortunate cyclist.

thwart
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
sounds a lot like a texting (or asleep at the wheel) kind of thing...

... likely hit at full road speed.
The latest story states 25 year old pickup driver and his passenger both 'fell asleep' 20 minutes into a drive home from work when this happened. Sometimes assumptions are correct. The driver was at fault. BTW, the 'accident' happened at 5:30 PM.

Tristan Roy left behind a 3 yr old daughter and her husband.

gdw
08-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Sometimes but anyone who has worked in law enforcement and investigated accidents will tell you that things aren't as black and white as cycling forums make them.

OnceFast
08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Was the driver given a sobriety test? If not, why not?

forrestw
08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Have you ever spent anytime driving or biking the rural roads in New England? ..... Moral of the story is that not all accidents are caused by negligence and since none of us were there we really shouldn't assume anything other than it's a tragedy which cost the life of the unfortunate cyclist.
I'm sure that's true, however in this case the driver falling asleep at the wheel is IMO negligent and probably guilty of manslaughter.

There is no reason for driving impaired, whether the impairment is alcohol, drugs or fatigue.

Wrt the winding & narrow roads it is the obligation of drivers to use reasonable and proper speed for the road they're driving on. I realize that does nothing for the case of backed up traffic. I once pulled a stoppie on a motorcycle loaded heavily with saddle bags 5800 miles into a 6000 mile trip. I was on the Hutchinson parkway doing the speed limit, crested a hill during rush hour and had to decelerate fast and look out for being rear-ended due to the fact that a construction warning sign was being moved. I felt that the highway work crew was negligent in their action but was also very glad I wasn't doing 70 at the time.

rugbysecondrow
08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Let's keep this in perspective, the thread was started when there was no info and now there is some info. Perspective can change as details emerge.

I'm sure that's true, however in this case the driver falling asleep at the wheel is IMO negligent and probably guilty of manslaughter.

There is no reason for driving impaired, whether the impairment is alcohol, drugs or fatigue.

Wrt the winding & narrow roads it is the obligation of drivers to use reasonable and proper speed for the road they're driving on. I realize that does nothing for the case of backed up traffic. I once pulled a stoppie on a motorcycle loaded heavily with saddle bags 5800 miles into a 6000 mile trip. I was on the Hutchinson parkway doing the speed limit, crested a hill during rush hour and had to decelerate fast and look out for being rear-ended due to the fact that a construction warning sign was being moved. I felt that the highway work crew was negligent in their action but was also very glad I wasn't doing 70 at the time.

forrestw
08-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Let's keep this in perspective, the thread was started when there was no info and now there is some info. Perspective can change as details emerge.
Rugby, all due respect given, I think the information available informs my perspective and my view that this driver is the sort I fear the most. I think it unlikely that's going to change with additional details.

The only good thing we can say about being hit from the rear by an auto is that it's one of the least common vehicle-bicycle accidents. Not surprisingly it's also probably the case with the worst outcomes -- generally the cyclist has no warning when this happens.

My cousin was hit from the rear by a distracted driver down here in MA last winter resulting in compression fracture of a couple of lumbar vertebrae. He's only just now coming back to riding regular distances, for a several months he couldn't ride and then had substantial pain even on his 4 mile commute.

My thoughts are with the cyclist's family and friends.

William
08-15-2011, 09:32 AM
All I can really say at this point is that my condolences go out to Tristan Roy and her family.

Have you ever spent anytime driving or biking the rural roads in New England? I'm not familar with the road on which this accident occured but quite a few of them are winding, hilly, narrow tunnels through the trees. It's not unusual to find the sun directly in your eyes as you round a corner.

Yes, much time. And you are completely correct about rural New England roads. Many folks have lived in these areas forever and know the roads like the back of their hands ... this is good and bad. They know the roads with blind corners and hills well and tend to drive them too fast and/or on auto pilot because they do. Fine when there is no one around that corner, but if all of a sudden you have a cyclist on that blind corner, things can go bad real fast. I had a close encounter on Saturday on one of these rural NE roads in the woods, no houses close by, and pavement freshly paved. A guy in his decked out convertible Miyata was racing the corners and cut across the center line into the apex of the turn to carve the corner I was riding through in the opposite direction. If I had been about 75 feet ahead of where I was, that is right where I would have been. I sat up and gave him the slow down signal and he did slow up. I could tell by his expression he was shocked (and a bit embarrassed) I was there. He obviously knew the road and expected no one to be in this rural section.

Point being, accidents do happen, but if you can't see around corners, or have the sun in your eyes, or are fatigued to the point of falling asleep, responsibility dictates that you slow down or get off the road, no matter how well you know the roads.

William

rugbysecondrow
08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Rugby, all due respect given, I think the information available informs my perspective and my view that this driver is the sort I fear the most. I think it unlikely that's going to change with additional details.

The only good thing we can say about being hit from the rear by an auto is that it's one of the least common vehicle-bicycle accidents. Not surprisingly it's also probably the case with the worst outcomes -- generally the cyclist has no warning when this happens.

My cousin was hit from the rear by a distracted driver down here in MA last winter resulting in compression fracture of a couple of lumbar vertebrae. He's only just now coming back to riding regular distances, for a several months he couldn't ride and then had substantial pain even on his 4 mile commute.

My thoughts are with the cyclist's family and friends.

Agreed, but when the link was first posted there was ZERO info except that there was an accident. No real details. My point is that you might be arguing against a post that was written during this void of info. That is all. Certainly there is more info coming out and surely that will offer us new perspective. That is all I am saying.

pjm
08-15-2011, 12:38 PM

BBD
...or play the guitar. I actually saw that once.

gdw
08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Trivia - latest NHTSA report
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811386.pdf

"Over one-fourth (28%) of the pedalcyclists killed in 2009 had a blood alcohol
concentration (BAC) of .01 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher, and nearly onefourth
(24%) had a BAC of .08 g/dL or higher." Translation: 28% had alcohol in their system and 24% were legally intoxicated.

Most Common Types of Bicycle-Related Crashes
Motorist failed to yield 21.6%
Bicyclist failed to yield at intersection 16.8%
Motorist merged or turned into bicycle 12.1%
Bicyclist failed to yield mid-block 11.7%
Motorist overtaking bicyclist 8.6%
Bicyclist turned or merged into motorist 7.3%

Source: http://trafficsafety.org/safety/sharing/bike/bike-facts/bike-injuries-fatalities

Every cycling death is a tragedy regardless of
who is at fault.

rugbysecondrow
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
This highlights something I was thinking about on my way home, what we do is dangerous. We assume a certain risk by being on the road mingling with vehicles all of which are larger and heavier that us. Just like a sky diver, scuba diver, motorcyclist, football player, pedestrian, rock climber, sailor etc etc there is a risk we assume when we embark on our activities. We choose to enter into this unbalanced relationship and ???? happens sometimes. It doesn't make it right, but it makes it a reality. I want to come home to my family, I don't want to die, but I also know that there is that risk to this thing we do. We should try to improve safety by informing drivers, being good stewards of the road, adorning our rides with lights/reflectors, practice skills that might keep us safe, but we do all of this because we know it is dangerous.

It is sad she died, that is a fact. The other sad truth is that if not her, this same vehicle might have taken out a family on their way home from daycare/work in a head on collision. I don't write that lightly as I was wondering if my wife and I should be riding together in the event something like this happens and hits both of us. Again, a risk I assumed when we embarked.

Trivia - latest NHTSA report
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811386.pdf

"Over one-fourth (28%) of the pedalcyclists killed in 2009 had a blood alcohol
concentration (BAC) of .01 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher, and nearly onefourth
(24%) had a BAC of .08 g/dL or higher." Translation: 28% had alcohol in their system and 24% were legally intoxicated.

Most Common Types of Bicycle-Related Crashes
Motorist failed to yield 21.6%
Bicyclist failed to yield at intersection 16.8%
Motorist merged or turned into bicycle 12.1%
Bicyclist failed to yield mid-block 11.7%
Motorist overtaking bicyclist 8.6%
Bicyclist turned or merged into motorist 7.3%

Source: http://trafficsafety.org/safety/sharing/bike/bike-facts/bike-injuries-fatalities

Every cycling death is a tragedy regardless of
who is at fault.

gone
08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
This highlights something I was thinking about on my way home, what we do is dangerous. We assume a certain risk by being on the road mingling with vehicles all of which are larger and heavier that us.

Fully agree, this is something that I've thought about often over the years. I also agree that we should do everything we can to mitigate the risks. Speaking for myself, I even moved because the area that I used to live was growing by leaps and bounds and it seemed like every ride had some sort of "incident". Not necessarily life threatening (though some could have been) but just little things - distracted driver turning in front of me, road rage, unsafe passing, etc. I felt the odds were stacking up against me and fortunately had the flexibility to address it by moving to a small rural town. This is by no means a guarantee of safety but I at least feel like I've improved the odds somewhat in my favor and, coupled with safe and courteous riding on my part, enhanced my chances of living through my next bike ride.

Having said all that, I don't let fear paralyze me. I realize that life is fraught with peril and that all activity has risk. As I said, I do what I can to mitigate it but don't let it stop me from doing the things I enjoy doing.

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2011, 08:35 PM
. . . now available about this incident? All I have seen so far is the original story.

BBD

rugbysecondrow
08-15-2011, 08:36 PM
. . . now available about this incident? All I have seen so far is the original story.

BBD

I googled it earlier and nothing new came up.

Pizzaguy
08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
That is very, very sad. My sympathies to this person's family.

MECressey
08-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would have posted earlier by my account was just activated. I was riding that night and only minutes behind Tristin. By the time I had gotten there, she had just been taken to the hospital but she died on route. The scene was horrific. She apparently had been thrown 15 -20 feet from her crumpled up bike. Her bike seat was 10 feet past her. There is no cell service right at that spot so it took minutes to get the ambulance there. Even though the authorities said no, I think this may have contributed to her death, given the amount of blood on the road.

Anyways, NH-10 is a popular road for riding because it is relatively flat and scenic. Unfortunately, given the condition of the road, the 55 MPH speed limit is too fast for this road. The driver and passenger of the truck fell asleep on route home at ~5:30PM. That is quite possible but where Tristin was hit was a bad section of the road in terms of width, so this story is a little hard for me to believe (although possible).

The local police's attitude was that this road is no place for vehicles and cyclicsts during "rush" hour (remember this is a rural road even though it does get busy in the late afternoon). I didn't like this attitutude & strongly disagreee - the problem is the road hasn't been maintained and the speed limit is too high.

A cyclist who knew & worked w/ Tristin put together a little safety list for educational purposes. One of the items (that I don't have) which was identified as essential is a rear-view mirror. Any opinions/experience with that?

Mike