PDA

View Full Version : wow: the ins and outs of internal cable routing

eddief
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
my 2009 Spec. S-Works Roubaix I think is the last year before they started doing mostly internal cable routing. I am a pretty good mechanic, but would not really want to screw with this when doing up a bike. Just spotted the video of how it's done on a new Specialized. Over engineered for my needs. Wonder if I will ever have to go to 10 speeds or internal cable routing?

http://vimeo.com/23917838

zmudshark
08-11-2011, 07:15 PM
OMG. I just watched the whole thing. I'm keeping my steel bikes.

dave thompson
08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Damn plastic bikes! You should know better than that Eddie.

eddief
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
a smart person would not touch one with a pole...especially an off the rack, mass produced, Far Eastern, gaudily painted Specailized.

Damn plastic bikes! You should know better than that Eddie.

Volant
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
After 20 secs, I got bored...

fatallightning
08-11-2011, 09:49 PM
honestly that doesn't seem so bad. those sheaths in the downtube make the hardest part easy peasey. the hardest bikes i've had to route are the cervelos with the first gen integrated cable stops, diabolical. the p4 and many many new tt bikes are also a nightmare.

eddief
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
was not at all suggesting it would be difficult, but not quite sure about the value of the fussing. i know it looks cool and appreciate that and when i ride in the peloton at 60 kph the aerodynamics would help keep me in the race :).

honestly that doesn't seem so bad. those sheaths in the downtube make the hardest part easy peasey. the hardest bikes i've had to route are the cervelos with the first gen integrated cable stops, diabolical. the p4 and many many new tt bikes are also a nightmare.

cat6
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
i was thinking "oh, it's not that bad", but after a minute i was like yawning and confused. i'm sure a mechanic in a specialized shop will have it down after a few builds, still a pain in the ass.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
i was thinking "oh, it's not that bad", but after a minute i was like yawning and confused. i'm sure a mechanic in a specialized shop will have it down after a few builds, still a pain in the ass.

Agree. Seems like they learned nothing from the Kestrels, Zipps and Kleins way back when when it was a PIA then as it is now. Cervelo, BMC, Specialized both really time consuming. I know a couple of 1.1mm wires are wildly un-aerodynamic so it really makes sense these days..sarcasm intended. I think they mostly do this for marketing(hey, they are doin' it) and because it's probably cheaper.

fatallightning
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
i've spent many an hour fishing wires with bent j hook spokes. no fun. combine that with internally routed carbon bars and i want to kill myself.