PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here repair their own tubulars?

fiamme red
08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I haven't ridden tubulars in years, but I have a pair of Campagnolo Record Strada rims laced to C-Record hubs sitting around, and I'd like to use them again. However, only if I can figure out how to repair tubulars myself. I have a few flat ones that I can practice on, but I'm not good for much with a needle and thread beyond sewing on buttons.

I remember 11.4 once saying that he can repair a flat tubular, using needle, thread, and scissors, very quickly.

Does anyone else here repair their own tubulars?

thwart
08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I've been pretty lucky with tubie flats, PitStop sealant has fixed the few I've had with one exception.

fiamme red
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
By "friend" in option 3, I meant someone in your area, who perhaps offers the same service as Tire Alert to local racers, but doesn't advertise.

ultraman6970
08-11-2011, 03:03 PM
If you take care of the tubulars they basically will start getting flats when they are almost ready to go to the trash can. I'm lucky with tubulars because or i dont get flats or when i get them the holes are so big that I dont waste time fixing them. Personally I have not repaired one in at least 20 years. The other thing is that for 30 to 40 bucks u get a descent tubular that can last 6 months to 2 years depending on your annual mileage. At the oposite side cheap clinchers are really bad idea because sometimes if you look at them ugly they get a flat, and it hurts even more when a 60 bucks clinchers get a hole or a nasty cut that could make them unrideable anymore.

djg21
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I haven't ridden tubulars in years, but I have a pair of Campagnolo Record Strada rims laced to C-Record hubs sitting around, and I'd like to use them again. However, only if I can figure out how to repair tubulars myself. I have a few flat ones that I can practice on, but I'm not good for much with a needle and thread beyond sewing on buttons.

I remember 11.4 once saying that he can repair a flat tubular, using needle, thread, and scissors, very quickly.

Does anyone else here repair their own tubulars?

I don't ride tubbies much any mor, but I did repair them, and used the repaired tires for training or as spares depending how well the repair turned out and how smooth the repaired tire ended up.

forrestw
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I repair my tubulars and have to do so less often since I switched from Vittoria to Conti and now to Schwalbe Ultremo.

I use a slightly improper stitching method; take the end of the ripped-thread, lock it and then stitch spiral back to the other end and square-knot them together there. Usually this results in a slight twist, visible but not onerous and the other ways I can think of re-stitching all strike me as too much trouble. This method has always held fine for the remaining life of a tire.

The whole process takes me about 90 minutes, not counting the time it takes to wait for the re-glued rim-strip to fully harden. happily I've never yet double-flatted on a ride, I usually have thread & patches on me but don't much want to do that repair on the roadside :-).

I haven't been carrying PitStop lately but when I did I had better than 50:50 results and when it did work I could usually get 2 repairs out of one can of the stuff.

basso1
08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I save my flatted tires and repair them in the winter or a rainy summer weekend. Practice here is a real plus. The more you do it he easier it is. I used to repair roadside when I was a youngster. Now we have Pitstop I always carry a spare tire.

I put talc in the tire prior to sewing up, and use a center overlapping stitch that has worked well over the years and results in a smooth tire when completed. I also have used cotton thread and dental floss. Floss is a smoother repair.

thwart
08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I haven't been carrying PitStop lately but when I did I had better than 50:50 results and when it did work I could usually get 2 repairs out of one can of the stuff. Yep. If you're careful, it's much more cost-effective than a $12.99 can per use.

fogrider
08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I only ride tubulars and the roads around here are full broken glass...I end up repairing 2 or 3 a year. its not that hard, just take your time. most of the time the tires are almost worn out...I've gotten a few tires to the point where there's no tread left. but every now and then, I get a flat on tire after a few rides.

rustychain
08-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I repair my own but another option is a company called Tire Alert. You mail them your tire, they rip it open replace the tube and stitch it all back up with a new base tape for a very reasonable price. I only used them once however to repair some cross tires. They did a great job IMO

GuyGadois
08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Recently I have been wearing the tires out before any punctures. This is since I have change to Conti Sprinters (NOT the gatorskins as there tires don't last long for me). Not one puncture on these tires ever . When the tread wears out I take them off and fold them up as spares.

Now, excuse me while I go knock on wood.

GG

oliver1850
08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
I have them mostly on bikes that don't get that many miles. I've never had a flat, but most of my mileage is on clinchers.

retrogrouchy
08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Recently I have been wearing the tires out before any punctures. This is since I have change to Conti Sprinters (NOT the gatorskins as there tires don't last long for me). Not one puncture on these tires ever . When the tread wears out I take them off and fold them up as spares.

GG

Yep, buy quality tubulars and you'll rarely need to repair one. I haven't needed to repair one in decades. On the very rare occasion that one flats, it is usually 75-100% worn and not worth messing with. Getting 100% out of one can be interesting. My wife has done it twice in the past three years (sorry, dear, I just didn't get your rear tire replaced fast enough, but hey, look at the bright side - you got 100% usage out of it...). :cool:

fiamme red
08-12-2011, 09:22 AM

GGI once flatted two Conti Sprinters in one month. Both had plenty of tread left. But that was years ago, and maybe they're more flat-resistant now.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I once flatted two Conti Sprinters in one month. Both had plenty of tread left. But that was years ago, and maybe they're more flat-resistant now.

I put Stan's in my Sprinters but if I flat one, I fix it. Use waxed dental floss, normal patch kit, use a chain stitch, pana to reglue the base tape on(only remove a small section, where the hole is). Takes about 30-40 minutes. BUT I haven't had a flat for a while...mostly if I do, the tire is worn out anyway.

BCS
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Haven't had to do it yet but it seems really hard to get under the base tape of some tires like Vittoria Pave' compared to a Sprinter. Any tricks?