PDA

View Full Version : Fixing SRAM shifters

false_Aest
08-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Just got a SRAM Rival alloy shifter set (for free)

the left/front shifter is bent 90*.

Is it possible to replace the shifter paddle (a la campy) or am I shimano screwed?

gpw19
08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately your "shimano screwed", the only things replaceable are the brake blades.

patrick8037
08-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately your "shimano screwed", the only things replaceable are the brake blades.

False.

You can absolutely get replacment shifter paddles and the SRAM levers are infinitely easier to dissect than Campy.

http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC128615

oldpotatoe
08-11-2011, 07:45 AM
False.

You can absolutely get replacment shifter paddles and the SRAM levers are infinitely easier to dissect than Campy.

http://bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC128615

All they have is the RH Red or LH Rival and I have taken both apart and sram is NOT infinitely easier' to dissect. More teeny parts, harder, IMHO.

BUT essentially the OP, with a RH shift lever blade needed is SOL, since sram has decided to NOT supply innards for shifters.

benb
08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
If you send them back to SRAM (through an authorized dealer) they supposedly will fix them and charge you a repair price or ship a refurb back to your dealer.

I say supposedly, because I had my LBS send mine back 6 months ago and they haven't heard squat. SRAM apparently sucks to deal with.

I bought some Shimano shifters used on ebay.. they have lasted longer then my SRAM shifter (bought new) did. I never should have "made the leap". There is no way the few grams saved is worth the drastically reduced durability and poorer warranty.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2011, 09:20 AM
If you send them back to SRAM (through an authorized dealer) they supposedly will fix them and charge you a repair price or ship a refurb back to your dealer.

I say supposedly, because I had my LBS send mine back 6 months ago and they haven't heard squat. SRAM apparently sucks to deal with.

I bought some Shimano shifters used on ebay.. they have lasted longer then my SRAM shifter (bought new) did. I never should have "made the leap". There is no way the few grams saved is worth the drastically reduced durability and poorer warranty.

Not exactly. The WILL warranty just about anything but after talking to them, I don't think they repair..they have no small parts for their shifters.

If they did, they would send these out to fix a lever but...

Have the LBS call 'em!! 6 months is BS.

patrick8037
08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Sending broken Rival shifters in for crash replacement will result in a new pair of current Rival shifters for about $150ish.

I've dealt with SRAM multiple times and have always found them a pleasure to deal with. And I've always found SRAM shifters much easier to disassemble than Campy. Far fewer parts.

false_Aest
08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

$150 is about 30x more than I paid for these shifters so I'll try the repair route.
Looks like the mech itself is fine just a bent paddle. (LH thankfully).

If I screw it up I'm only out $26 or so and I can still run this thing for CX.

Cheers!

patrick8037
08-11-2011, 10:45 AM
If you're using these for CX and are unable to fix the shift paddle, consider this:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/removing-sram-double-tap-shift-mechanism-single-ring