PDA

View Full Version : Brooks swallow equivalent-plastic

stackie
08-10-2011, 10:53 AM
So, I'm kind of a Brooks lover. Three Swallows just work for me. But, I'm working on a new project that will be more racey and modern. I'm wondering what saddles other Swallow lovers have enjoyed.

I used to use the Selle Italia Flite before the Swallow era. That might be an option

What other saddles should I consider? Kind of liking the Selle San Marco Zoncolan. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

eddief
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
i was on a jag to find alternative plastic instead of b17. same deal. weight, more speed oriented build. never woulda thunk but ended up with a few WTB Pure V saddles. i use the mid weight NiCro they look a bit weird but that's what fits me down there in that department. maybe close enuf to your down there too. just enuf padding, a bit wider in the back, and comfy droppish on the nose cone.

charliedid
08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
http://bmx.minguhl.com/product.php?asin=B002PHPF2Y

:)

Ken Robb
08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I like B-17 and Pro in the Brooks line but never tried any other models. Much to my surprise I also like the Arione. I have a WTB as mentioned above on my old MB3. I like it so well I bought another but decided to stay with the Arione because it's just as comfy and looks cooler on my Hampsten.

BillG
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Aliante substitutes well for Swift/Swallow.

R2D2
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Aliante. I really like the hammock affect.
Also on long rides I switched to Swift from Swallow.
The raised Swallow rivets are NO fun after a while.
The Swift smooth rivets work much better for me.
In the old days I loved the Selle Italia Turbo.
Especially the Hinault versions covered in buffalo hide with the badger logo..

stackie
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Hmmm.

Do you think this http://bmx.minguhl.com/product.php?asin=B002PHPF2Y would look ok on a bike with Campy Record 11? It looks super comfortable and the clear is oh so sweet. I'm just worried about the clear plastic clashing with the carbon fiber of the Campy gruppo.... :crap:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with the Alliante.

Jon

yipsan
08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I am all swallows too, and find the Antares work ok.

Mike748
08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
i was on a jag to find alternative plastic instead of b17. same deal. weight, more speed oriented build. never woulda thunk but ended up with a few WTB Pure V saddles. i use the mid weight NiCro they look a bit weird but that's what fits me down there in that department. maybe close enuf to your down there too. just enuf padding, a bit wider in the back, and comfy droppish on the nose cone.

I ended up with this one on my MTB and city bike too. I like it. (I ride Swift & Team Pro on my road bikes).

dhoff
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Alliante, Arione, none of the other saddles mentioned work for me, though I never tried the clear plastic thing. I use two saddles, other than Brooks, whose Professional, Special, Swallow and Swift all work fine depending on position. One is the Gell Flow in one of two versions. I like the regular Gell Flow for anything up to about a 5 hour ride and the Max Flow for anything longer. The longer rides, 10-24 hours, also require a slightly higher seating position. So the Max Flow is better there, just as I go from a Swift to a Special, for the same purpose.

I also like Cobb cycling's products. John is a mensche, though he may well not know what that means. I use the Plus with great comfort on one of my bikes and have considered switching to it on others. I suggest looking at Cobb http://cobbcycling.com/ before settling in to another choice. He will let you ride it for up to 6 months and then return it if not 100% satisfied. I can ride in a deep aero position for longer on a Cobb than on anything else.

-dH

Nelson99
08-11-2011, 04:18 AM
And I'll second the opinions on the Aliante and WTB saddles, with the Airone a distant third. However, I must say that for me, none of these approach Brooks.

R2D2
08-11-2011, 07:23 AM
I should also mention the Berthoud saddle seem to fit the bill. Maybe even better than Brooks?

Len J
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I only have 2 saddles .............. Swallow or SLR.

Len

93legendti
08-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I think SoCalSteve posted about finding a plastic saddle to replace his Brooks...

zetroc
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Try a Rolls.

singlecross
08-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Flite or Prolink substitute well for my Swifts

omta

singlecross

kydnytheef
08-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I have had a few brooks over the years including a b17 and a swallow amongst others - and I still really love my old unicanitors. But the bmx styled ones that came in red, yellow, blue and black. Not the reissues. They are the closest thing I have ever found to a plastic B17.

dd74
08-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Fizik Carbon. But the Brooks Ti is as, if not, more comfortable.

Who cares about the 100 or so grams of weight difference? The look of the Brooks alone is worth the weight penalty.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Try a Rolls.

Or a Regal is ya like a Aliente. Rolls and Arione are similar, both flat.

I tried Swallow, Swift, B17...the Swift was beautiful on my red Waterford Stainless but it sure didn't work for me....none of the others did either..Rolls do.