PDA

View Full Version : Legend vs UPS truck

Bruce K
08-10-2011, 06:43 AM
So one of our group was out yesterday on a training ride when he apparently decided to defy the laws of physics by trying to occupy the same space as a UPS truck.

Not sure of all the details but MRI's etc. are all negative. The same can't be said for his trusty Legend.

Unfortunately he doesn't have the Crash Protection plan so this one's gone for good.

BK

e-RICHIE
08-10-2011, 06:47 AM
what can brown do for you atmo?

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :cool: :rolleyes:
;) ;) :cool:
:rolleyes: :cool: ;)

Spinner
08-10-2011, 07:07 AM
... Avoid all moving and stationary objects.

Glad to see that your friend is okay.

victoryfactory
08-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Good to hear that the rider is OK.

This is an opportunity to get a new bike!

Interesting that the carbon fork seems to have survived and the tubes didn't.

That is one miracle material when properly engineered, no?

VF

William
08-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Glad he wasn't seriously hurt.

You know, that bike was improperly packed. :rolleyes:

William

soulspinner
08-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Good to hear that the rider is OK.

This is an opportunity to get a new bike!

Interesting that the carbon fork seems to have survived and the tubes didn't.

That is one miracle material when properly engineered, no?

VF

My last crash the carbon fork hit the dt, going straight of course, didnt stop the headtube from bending :rolleyes:

sg8357
08-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Some broomstick and a lot of JB Weld and you'll be back on the road.

FNL Soviet Style.

katemc8
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
wear a jersey next time! ;)

1happygirl
08-10-2011, 09:17 AM
All seriousness glad he wasn't hurt. Got hit and got brown on his pants. :rolleyes:

just struck me as funny. yikes. sorry about the awesome bike also. i've lusted one for years.

Bruce K
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
He is one of the strongest, fittest guys I know (multiple black belt, etc.).

He has ridden really good times up Mt. Washington.

He just has the most awful luck when riding solo and has one the "Crash of the Year" award from our cycling group two other times that I know of.

The last one he had to swerve to avoid a car that almost ran a stop sign and ended up running into a dead raccoon and going endo. He survived that one with surprisingly limited injuries as well.

He has more bad luck/good luck than anyone I have ever met.

BK

Joachim
08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
He just has the most awful luck when riding solo and has one the "Crash of the Year" award from our cycling group two other times that I know of.

BK

Let's hope the insurance company does not see this. They will be all over it.

ps. Dead raccoon? LOL

weiwentg
08-10-2011, 11:14 AM
He is one of the strongest, fittest guys I know (multiple black belt, etc.).

He has ridden really good times up Mt. Washington.

The last one he had to swerve to avoid a car that almost ran a stop sign and ended up running into a dead raccoon and going endo. He survived that one with surprisingly limited injuries as well.

He has more bad luck/good luck than anyone I have ever met.

BK

I won my club's crash test dummy of the year, at the exact same time I won most improved cyclist. And right after that, I had a car v bike, which was bad enough to get me out of racing permanently (physically OK, though).

Sorry about the Legend.

tele
08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Bruce

glad your bud is alright....Have him check with his homeowners insurance policy, it might cover something like that, at least you never know. I got my company covering my new custom frame when I drove into the garage last week. :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Know anything about the circumstances?

BBD

Joachim
08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Bruce

glad your bud is alright....Have him check with his homeowners insurance policy, it might cover something like that, at least you never know. I got my company covering my new custom frame when I drove into the garage last week. :crap:

Did you drive the Maietta in the garage?

christian
08-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Speaking of Maiettas, Joachim, did you get yours? Pics?

tele
08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Did you drive the Maietta in the garage?
I plead the fifth cause I'm a dumbass.

Joachim
08-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Speaking of Maiettas, Joachim, did you get yours? Pics?

Here it is...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84850&highlight=maietta

BUT.... the seat tube cracked, so Tony is building me a new frame. I must add that it did not crack at a weld or originated from any point that could point to builder related defect. We think it had to be a metal defect. As soon as I get the new frame I'll update the gallery.

Bruce K
08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Not sure on the details but from what little I know "brown" may not owe him a thing.

Like I said, he is one of the most unlucky guys I know when it comes to bike incidents.

BK

Pete Serotta
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Glad your friend is ok. Ti is not that difficult to fix andvSerotta can make iook good as new. :cool:

Pete

lonoeightysix
08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm shocked that this post wasn't a damaged-in-transit story.

Ahneida Ride
08-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Call Steve at Serotta ....
maybe they can fix it ...

or call Kelly Bedford ... He can get the original tubes from Ben.

It may not be a total loss ..

Glad no one was seriously hurt !

oliver1850
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
ps. Dead raccoon? LOL

Racoons are not funny, live or dead. I've hit 2 full on, both resulted in over the bar crashes. The first I landed on my hip, had wrap around bruise from navel to kidney about 8" tall. If I did that today, it might mean a broken pelvis, as I am 20 years older and 20 lbs. lighter now. The 2nd, broken collarbone and concussion.

Glad your bud isn't hurt badly from the UPS incident. Feel bad about the bike though.

thinpin
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Not sure on the details but from what little I know "brown" may not owe him a thing.

Like I said, he is one of the most unlucky guys I know when it comes to bike incidents.

BK
Sounds like he is to cycling what Joe Simpson is to mountaineering :beer:

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 03:54 PM
I feel terrible for this guy - makes me sick. Just glad he's OK (for the most part). Who was at fault?

Bruce K
08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Not the parked UPS truck..... :crap: :crap: :crap:

I still can't imagine the stress forces involved to twist the down tube until it tore while ripping the top tube (tension) like that.

BK