PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Campy specific tool for the newer power torque cranks?

gpw19
08-09-2011, 11:56 PM
I recently purchased an 11 speed Athena group-set, when I went to install the cranks I was somewhat surprised to find that the crank arm bolt on the non-drive side requires a 14 mm hex key. Three hardware stores later I eventually found a 14 mm hex bit to fit my torque wrench, I know I have the appropriate tool now, but does anyone know if Campy makes a specific tool for these cranks? Thanks.

happycampyer
08-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Here's a discussion from not too long ago. Maybe Oldpotatoe has more up-to-date info.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79127

http://www.parktool.com/product/p/14mm-hex-wrench-hr-14

Dave B
08-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I don['t understand why Campy did this to the lower end crank. I have installed several Chorus to SR cranks and none of them require anything more then the 10mm hex.

Why have a different design for the lower end? Oh well.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I recently purchased an 11 speed Athena group-set, when I went to install the cranks I was somewhat surprised to find that the crank arm bolt on the non-drive side requires a 14 mm hex key. Three hardware stores later I eventually found a 14 mm hex bit to fit my torque wrench, I know I have the appropriate tool now, but does anyone know if Campy makes a specific tool for these cranks? Thanks.

I use a 14mm allen and I have coming the Cyclus tools that pull and install the bearings on PT cranks, specific because of the long spindle. I also have the Campagnolo produced 'plug', used in the spindle end to pull the LH crank off, which I use a gear puller for. I'll bet I can remove and replace the bearing in the LH PT cup but haven't tried that yet.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2011, 07:30 AM
I don['t understand why Campy did this to the lower end crank. I have installed several Chorus to SR cranks and none of them require anything more then the 10mm hex.

Why have a different design for the lower end? Oh well.

--->>cheaper to make<<---

thinpin
08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Campagnolo are really annoying like this. These days nearly every group has little foibles that bug the hell out of me. The tool box just keeps getting bigger. :crap:

oldpotatoe
08-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Campagnolo are really annoying like this. These days nearly every group has little foibles that bug the hell out of me. The tool box just keeps getting bigger. :crap:

shimano is no different. They did the same thing with octastink and then external BBs....buy the tools!! Good tools are cool!!

gpw19
08-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to look into the Cyclus tools...I never hard time justifying the purchase of a new tool!

veloduffer
08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
shimano is no different. They did the same thing with octastink and then external BBs....buy the tools!! Good tools are cool!!

I was impressed the first time that I saw the Campy 11-spd chain tool. The tool and case looked like a fine surgical tool. And it cost like one too at over $300!

rePhil
08-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Where can we purchase Cyclus tools other than LBS?

oldpotatoe
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Where can we purchase Cyclus tools other than LBS?

Probably can't at the LBS...yet. United Bicycle Supply, a distributor, is the US Cyclus tool dealer but they don't have the tools yet. I'm getting mine from a guy I know in the Netherlands...just a guy, not a bike shop or anything.

Your initial statement 'speaks' volumes, 'other than the LBS', or maybe not...

rePhil
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Peter,if my post spoke volumes, I would like us to be on the same chapter.
I enjoy doing all of my own work but would be happy to buy parts from my LBS if I felt they were priced fairly, and had what I needed - wanted (Campy). Not one LBS around here stocks Campagnolo. They do carry $10 tubes.

I have purchased from your store over the phone and while on vacation and If I lived nearby I would shop in your store. We just don't have shops like yours, or others that suit MY needs.
I am friends with one of the local LBS owners.He is obviously doing something right as I have known, bought from & recommended him for over 20 years.I send customers to him all the time, at least 5 have bought bikes from him in the last year. And as a friend, while he would do it, he would have to order anything Campy. It's just easier to get it online.He knows, and I don't think it bothers him.

Ironically, he is into boating - fishing. I worked for an engine manufacturer and helped him with parts for his hobby. While I could get him parts for current product, he has an older motor. He has no problem complaining about dealer pricing and buys aftermarket parts....online!

Probably can't at the LBS...yet. United Bicycle Supply, a distributor, is the US Cyclus tool dealer but they don't have the tools yet. I'm getting mine from a guy I know in the Netherlands...just a guy, not a bike shop or anything.

Your initial statement 'speaks' volumes, 'other than the LBS', or maybe not...

oldpotatoe
08-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Peter,if my post spoke volumes, I would like us to be on the same chapter.
I enjoy doing all of my own work but would be happy to buy parts from my LBS if I felt they were priced fairly, and had what I needed - wanted (Campy). Not one LBS around here stocks Campagnolo. They do carry $10 tubes.

I have purchased from your store over the phone and while on vacation and If I lived nearby I would shop in your store. We just don't have shops like yours, or others that suit MY needs.
I am friends with one of the local LBS owners.He is obviously doing something right as I have known, bought from & recommended him for over 20 years.I send customers to him all the time, at least 5 have bought bikes from him in the last year. And as a friend, while he would do it, he would have to order anything Campy. It's just easier to get it online.He knows, and I don't think it bothers him.

Ironically, he is into boating - fishing. I worked for an engine manufacturer and helped him with parts for his hobby. While I could get him parts for current product, he has an older motor. He has no problem complaining about dealer pricing and buys aftermarket parts....online!

Or maybe not..not trying to argue, just wondering. Yep, a lot of bikeshops are owned by people who struggle and thing they way to success is to raise prices, not improve customer service and support. Special ordering something quickly and efficiently does wonders. Along with Campag spares, not that hard or expensive, BTW-Chains, cogsets, hoods, BBs..just not that hard.

$10 tubes, now there's a margin!!

wtex
08-11-2011, 10:52 AM
$10 tubes, now there's a margin!!

I'll be they have lower rolling resistance. ;)

oldpotatoe
08-12-2011, 08:01 AM
I'll be they have lower rolling resistance. ;)

Nicer boxes..

dana_e
08-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I keep the boxes, have a big ol stash, looks impressive but all the goodies are gone or used up. great for bike swap, I keep a couple boxes of campy boxes in the front, brings in the lookers