PDA

View Full Version : OT: Droid vs iPhone

onekgguy
08-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I enjoy the photos and videos that my Droid takes while I'm out riding ;-)

I've been happy with my Droid for nearly two years. The iPhone wasn't an option when I bought my Droid but now it is; I'm with Verizon. I'm wondering if anybody has any insight as to the pros and cons of one phone over the other?

I'm impressed with Apple products and use a MacBook Pro but my Droid has been pretty good to me. My daughter was telling me that the GPS navigation on the iPhone isn't as easy to use as the Droid. I have no idea. She also mentioned that there is no tiny flashing light on the iPhone to tell you (in silent mode) that you have in incoming message. The iPhone just puts the message on your screen for all to see. Certainly not a deal-breaker. I've also heard that the battery life between charges is noticeably better on the iPhone.

I welcome any thoughts, opinions or suggestions you may have to offer.

Kevin g

fireproof1905
08-10-2011, 01:10 AM
I have an iphone currently, BUT I also have a droid... GPS/Navigation on the droid is hands down the best i've seen hands down but hey android is google and google rules when it comes to user interface. Battery life on both android and the iphone are about the same just depends on what apps you have running on your phone. Apple is lacking when it comes to user friendly options but hopefully with ios5 that will change as apple is "borrowing" some of android's features. As of now when it comes to biking add ons you can find both fairly easily... well hope it helps

Steve in SLO
08-10-2011, 01:49 AM
I have a Driod phone and have also been considering making the jump to an iphone. The voice texting is what is holding me back...I use it a lot and am impressed at how accurate it is. I am sure I'd miss it it if I switched.

1happygirl
08-10-2011, 01:54 AM
I too am with Verizon and can't wait to get my hand on an IPhone, once the new iOS comes out this September. I got my parents a Droid but I have thought and thought about as I have a non-smartphone and can't wait to get my hands on a phone that can do more than be a phone.

1. Droid can surf and talk now. Hopefully, new iPhone will give this ability as when talking on others phones I have found this helpful to look up addresses/info to give to the peep I'm talking to
2. I have a Mac. I love my Mac computer. Love. The iPhone will interface seamlessly
3. Droid has apps but difficult to search and most have bugs.
Nothing beats iTunes store/App store for feedback and searching apps
4. Display. iPhone hands down.
5. Quality lack of spam-iPhone
6. Lack of 'glitches' and 'freeze-ups' unlike the Droid. Mom is constantly calling Verizon that her screen has gone black etc.
I probably have a few that I wrote down somewheres but #2 is pretty big for me

rdparadise
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
The iPhone has been able to do multi-tasking for over a year now. (i.e. talk on the phone and surf web, look up contacts, etc.)

I don't have a droid, however I do know a few people closely that do. I would say from experience that the iPhone does have significantly less glitches, reboots, etc. then the droid. I'm running an old iPhone 3GS and regarding battery life it seems very good. This only becomes an issue when I run a lot of apps. Also the settings can play a large role in battery life. If you turn off many of them it extends the battery life considerably.

I like the iPhone and won't be buying something other than an iPhone anytime soon. I'm just waiting for the latest model to come out to upgrade as my current unit is 2 1/2 years old and needs upgrading.

The other thing with the iPhone that I really like is that about a year ago, the glass on the front crack due to too many drops. Anyway, I went to the apple store and for $90 they replaced it while I waited. Try that with an Android phone and let me know how you make out.

Bob

buck-50
08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I've got an iphone, my wife has a droid.

Observations so far-

Iphone is prettier, if that matters to you. The design is gorgeous.

Iphone is more fragile- it's glass on both sides. My wife's android has taken beatings that would probably destroy my iphone.

Iphone has a better screen, hands down.

Iphone has a better camera- there are plenty of phones with higher res cameras, but few that take pictures as well. the iphone camera is just fantastic. Resolution isn't everything, and whatever software apple uses to run it's camera is excellent.

Iphone touch screen is better, even my wife agrees on that- the scroll and zoom are super smooth.

Droid is slightly buggier, Iphone is slightly crashier- the droid will continue to function when things get screwed up, but it'll get weird. The iphone just crashes. both are annoying.

The iphone does not have a flashing light to tell you you have messages.

If your iphone is in silent mode, all alarms will turn off, even alarm clocks.

Iphone currently doesn't have external physical camera buttons. This sucks. They're apparently fixing this in the next version.

built-in nav is better on the droid, but there are some incredibly good nav apps for the iphone.

iphone is intuitively easy to use. More so than the droid.

iphone aps are pretty solid and well managed/controlled. There are more fart apps for droid.

in the end, it's a toss up- they're both solid. If you take more pictures, get the iphone. If you need nav, get the droid.

1happygirl
08-10-2011, 09:00 AM
The iPhone has been able to do multi-tasking for over a year now. (i.e. talk on the phone and surf web, look up contacts, etc.)
snip...

Bob
Not on CDMA Version Verizon yet I think right? Only on ATT version

OP & I have Verizon. FWIW/BTW went with Verizon 'cuz the coverage. May pay more and didn't/don't have the coolest phones initially but I love me some Verizon. Very loyal there myself

jmoore
08-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I'll keep my Droid just because of the My Tracks app.

1happygirl
08-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I'll keep my Droid just because of the My Tracks app.
Think its out for iphone now. Come to the dark side. ... You'll thank me later.

My mom's Droid camera is sick. It is great and better than my 8mp camera. I cant imagine a better one, but if it is, I'm sure its on the iPhone. I can't wait.
Verizon---are you listening?!

djg21
08-10-2011, 09:31 AM

I've been happy with my Droid for nearly two years. The iPhone wasn't an option when I bought my Droid but now it is; I'm with Verizon. I'm wondering if anybody has any insight as to the pros and cons of one phone over the other?

I'm impressed with Apple products and use a MacBook Pro but my Droid has been pretty good to me. My daughter was telling me that the GPS navigation on the iPhone isn't as easy to use as the Droid. I have no idea. She also mentioned that there is no tiny flashing light on the iPhone to tell you (in silent mode) that you have in incoming message. The iPhone just puts the message on your screen for all to see. Certainly not a deal-breaker. I've also heard that the battery life between charges is noticeably better on the iPhone.

Kevin g

I'm going to be switching from a Blackberry Storm 2 to an IPhone 5, which supposedly is being released in September or October. The IPhone 5 supposedly will have an improved 8MP camera, a faster processor, more memory, an improved display and a new OS. It also is rumoured to have a new form factor, with a curved glass bezel, an all-metal casing, and a thinner profile.

According to various technology-oriented blogs, ATT currently is testing the Iphone5. While Verizon has tended to be a little slower bringing phones to market due to its quality control testing protocol, I can't imagine that it will cede all early sales to ATT, and my bet is that it will launching the IPhone 5 at roughly the same time as ATT.

You may want to wait a few months to see the IPhone 5, and any the new Android offerings in the fall.

Aaron O
08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I've never used a Droid, beyond testing it in the store, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think the iPhone has a more user friendly, easy to manage, IOS. For me, the biggest cell phone issue is customer service, and Apple is a heck of a lot better than Samsung and Motorola in my experience. Rather than deal with an AT+T store, i can deal with an Apple store. I don't think much of the local AT+T stores.

I like that the aps are tested and regulated through Apple...I don't need to worry about viruses and I know I'm getting what I want. I like that it interfaces seamlessly with my Mac and iTunes. I also found the size and fit to be better than any of the droids I played with.

I understand that a few of the droids offer better tech specs, but my iPhone sure seems quick to me, it has great call quality and I get reception better than I have with my other (dumb) phones. I LOVE the thing and am not techy enough to want open source ap development.

gone
08-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Iphone is prettier, if that matters to you. The design is gorgeous.

Agree completely, a beautiful industrial design. One thing that cracks me up though is the first thing people do with their Iphone is put it in a honking big ugly case and put a layer of plastic over the screen.

And yes, I've had an Iphone (loved it) but currently have a Droid X. Next time I'm in the market for a phone, I'll evaluate current offerings by both as I'm not wed to either. I switched from the Iphone because VZW didn't have it and I moved to an area where AT&T had lousy coverage (pretty much the whole US as near as I can tell :D )

zap
08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Have a droid-close to 2 years myself. it does the job and has fallen and hit the ground more than once.

Take a look at Thurderbolt-4G and a hot spot for that ipad.

no iphone experience.

thegunner
08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
just wondering... why does it have to be a droid? there are loads of other phones running android (e.g. nexus) that are far superior. is this a verizon thing?

Aaron O
08-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Agree completely, a beautiful industrial design. One thing that cracks me up though is the first thing people do with their Iphone is put it in a honking big ugly case and put a layer of plastic over the screen.

And yes, I've had an Iphone (loved it) but currently have a Droid X. Next time I'm in the market for a phone, I'll evaluate current offerings by both as I'm not wed to either. I switched from the Iphone because VZW didn't have it and I moved to an area where AT&T had lousy coverage (pretty much the whole US as near as I can tell :D )

I put my beautiful, sleek Iphone into a big, honking ugly case (Otterbox Defender), which decreases its usability by interfering with the camera and distance sensor. I did that because I didn't want to break it if it dropped...or have it ruined by a rain storm. Are you suggesting its durable enough to use w/o case?

Aaron O
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
just wondering... why does it have to be a droid? there are loads of other phones running android (e.g. nexus) that are far superior. is this a verizon thing?

Any phone running android is a droid. Droid is a term like PC.

benb
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
I went from a Palm Treo to the original Droid on Verizon, and right now have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I largely went to the iPhone to get back on the same carrier as my wife to save money. Background is I'm a software engineer so I am a major geek and can figure just about anything out, but I do appreciate good UI design and I'm primarily a mac user. I have dabbled in software development on both platforms as well, and I elected to recently buy an Android tablet instead of an iPad. Despite what the tech media says, I actually think Android competes even better on the tablet then on the phone.

Anyway I can agree with what a lot of people have said.. the iphone is going to be a bit cleaner UI, more consistent interfaces, easier for non technical people.

However it is not always a clear cut case of the iPhone being easier to manage. In general Android phones are actually easier to manage unless you are always doing *exactly* what Apple wants you to do. For example iTunes. iTunes is helpful to the neophyte, but it is a major hindrance to an advanced user. Androids can be plugged into any computer and allow you to access your files, you don't need any special software. Androids also don't need to be plugged in nearly as often, and do a better job backing up your data & accounts over the air. iOS 5 is supposed to fix some of this though.

One thing with the iPhone 4.. IMO it has one of the most pathetic ringers & vibrate functions of any phone I've ever had. It is way easier to miss calls then anything else I've used. I don't exactly like to get calls when I'm cycling, but I can almost *never* hear or feel a call if the phone is in my jersey pocket and I'm riding, even if the ringer is turned all the way up. If I'm wearing lose fitting pants @ work and the phone is on vibrate, I will not be able to feel it about 70% of the time.

Navigation & maps are WAY better on Android as well. That is the single biggest thing the Droid does better.

Some of the other stuff like Adobe flash is a real advantage as well. I can't speak as much to phones as when I was using an android phone Flash didn't really work, but my wife has an iPad 2 and I have an Asus Transformer and you really do see a much higher percentage of websites working in a full featured manner on Android since it supports flash. (And at least for me it has worked very well.) Go to a car manufacturer or bicycle manufacturers website.. it will work much better on Android.

I will probably actually switch back to an Android phone in 2012. My iPhone actually broke this spring, I've never had a phone fail. Apple warrantied it, but it was kind of pathetic as it was only about 6 months old. Most of my family has iPhones, and almost everyone has had one fail, they do not seem to be very durable & well built phones even though they look great & seem to be very solid. Some of the restrictions that apple places on you annoy me.. and I actually feel like Apple is becoming pretty evil. The walled garden may make some people feel safe, but it generally bothers me, and it's very inconsistent with how the Mac traditionally worked.

mgm777
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Here's my two cents, FWIW.
My wife and I have iPhones, and both have been flawless. I don't baby my phone and this summer, I inadvertently left it in my pants pocket and sent it through the washing machine. I didn't discover my mistake until the machine had finished the spin cycle and I was transfering the clothes to the dryer. When I discovered the phone had been through the washer my immediate reaction was that it was toast. However, I immediately placed it into a bowl of dry rice (not sure where I read to do that) for the day. Afterwards, I plugged in the charger and left it alone overnight. Surprisingly, the next day, it worked just fine. The phone was in an "incase" cover and it did have that expensive plastic film stuff on the screen. The film was a little scratched, but otherwise the phone works normally. My brother has a Droid and his wife has an iPhone. His feeling is that the Droid, when new, the OS is very fast. However, over time his phone has become glitchy and he thinks susceptible to bugs and viruses. His wife's iPhone, like ours, has been flawless. Upon renewal, he is going to replace his with an iPhone.

flydhest
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
built-in nav is better on the droid, but there are some incredibly good nav apps for the iphone.

--snip--

If you need nav, get the droid.

please enlighten me. I have and iPhone and hate the navigation app. What are the good ones that are available?

benb
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I guess I lied.. I'm on my 3rd iPhone inside a year.

First one died, apple replaced it, second one also died within a month, 3rd one was the charm.

The first one started playing static out of the speaker all the time, the second one had a faulty microphone.. which made it useless as a phone.

Mapquest is free on the iPhone and gets the job done for me.. it will talk you through directions as you drive which is the big thing I want that the iPhone doesn't do out of the box.

FixedNotBroken
08-10-2011, 02:38 PM
It all comes down to personal preference IMO.

I have had the first generation Droid (the one that slides), and now I have the Droid X which was a huge upgrade. I have had it for about a year now which is how long my contract is (I do 1 year contracts instead of 2 years because phones don't seem to last as long as they used to). It tends to freeze here and there, the touch screen gets tripped out and won't work at times, it can't seem to handle a lot of applications at the same time, at times it is SUPER fast internet wise and I can load the Serotta forum no problem but then at times it's slow as S$%T and it won't work. I loved it at first and it was great..I have never dropped it and it's 10/10 condition still, it just seems to be pooping out on me. I am waiting till next month to get the iPhone 5 and we'll see how that goes. I have a MacBook Pro, my wife has a MacBook Pro, my parents both have them and so do my sisters. I also have a iPod with a ton of GB's so for me it's the compatibility between the iPhone and my laptop. After using all of my friends iPhone's, I love the OS and the interface it uses. More user friendly, less glitchier IMO, Apple's touch screens are hands down the best in the business and their screen/picture quality is fantastic.

It really does boil down to personal preference..they both are fast, work well, and will in the end get the job done. So pick one and be happy :) and if you are not, pick the other.

PS--> Stay away from CRAPberry's :D

rugbysecondrow
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I like my Iphone 4, one is not really better than the others IMO, it is just what is better for you. I am a simple user and the Iphone just works. For me, I also picked the Iphone because I already had compatible chargers, docking stations etc for the Ipod and I didn't want an infrastructure change...like I said, simple.

I would also add that my daughter (who is 5) loves the Iphone and can navigate it effortlessly, it seems intuitive. She loves to play games with it and watch netflix shows. I am not certain how easy the android platform is, but I can attest to the Iphone.

buck-50
08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
please enlighten me. I have and iPhone and hate the navigation app. What are the good ones that are available?
I like MotionX GPS drive.

It's free, I think. The catch is, you have to subscribe for voice turn-by-turn directions- $2.99 for 30 days or $19.99/year.

On the occasions I need it, I just pay $2.99 for 30 days. I think this year I've needed to pay twice.

So, if you don't need turn by turn directions 24/7, like say you only need them when you are on vacation, MotionX GPS drive is perfect.

buck-50
08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
One thing with the iPhone 4.. IMO it has one of the most pathetic ringers & vibrate functions of any phone I've ever had. It is way easier to miss calls then anything else I've used. I don't exactly like to get calls when I'm cycling, but I can almost *never* hear or feel a call if the phone is in my jersey pocket and I'm riding, even if the ringer is turned all the way up. If I'm wearing lose fitting pants @ work and the phone is on vibrate, I will not be able to feel it about 70% of the time.

I like the apple vibrate mode- it's the only one I've ever used that's actually silent- I like not getting that weird, muffled "werrrrrrrmp werrrrrrrmp" sound.

When I have it on silent mode I want it to be silent.

Got a co-worker who hates his iphone because silent mode silences all the alarms, even wake up alarms. everyone has their preferences...

sg8357
08-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I'll take a dumb cell phone over a smart phone, real buttons and usually
better function of the phone part, as in better audio quality.

Remember land line phones, when you could actually understand
what the other person was saying, no painfully spelling out words
over lousy intermittent connections.

Homsie
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM

This isn't true. Droid is the term that Verizon Wireless assigns to what it considers to be it's top line phones. Examples of this are the Droid Charge, Droid X2, Droid Pro, Droid Incredible 2, Droid 2. Verizon Wireless also sells other android phones which aren't considered part of the Droid line like the HTC Thunderbolt, LG revolution, Casio Commando, Sony Ericsson Xperia, LG Vortex, Motorola Citrus, etc.

Aaron O
08-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Then I'm confused...since AT and T, Sprint and T Mobile also sells phones with Android and they are reffered to as droids. I'm not talking about the title of a phone, I'm talking about how the term is applied.

gone
08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I put my beautiful, sleek Iphone into a big, honking ugly case (Otterbox Defender), which decreases its usability by interfering with the camera and distance sensor. I did that because I didn't want to break it if it dropped...or have it ruined by a rain storm. Are you suggesting its durable enough to use w/o case?

I suppose it's a matter of how hard you are on your things. I am generally careful with my things - I've got sunglasses that are 15 years old. I never put my Iphone in a case and didn't "baby" it and it still looks pretty much like it did when it came out of the box so they're fairly durable on their own but, again, it depends on you. If you frequently drop things, carry it in a jersey pocket during a downpour, etc., a case might be a good call, I just didn't need one and suspect a lot of people don't. YMMV.

saab2000
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Then I'm confused...since AT and T, Sprint and T Mobile also sells phones with Android and they are reffered to as droids. I'm not talking about the title of a phone, I'm talking about how the term is applied.

It is indeed confusing. The operating system is called Android. But Motorola sells a couple of phones called the Motorola Droid. FWIW, I have also heard excellent things about the Motorola Droid handsets. But that is where the confusion begins. The make matters worse, the Motorola Droids use the Android operating system. Clear? Didn't think so.

I use an Apple 3G. It has slowed down appreciably since I got it nearly 3 years ago but I suspect that has to do as much as anything with the increasing complexity of software and the fact that the handset and hardware are 3 years old. The new ones with the faster chips ought to be vastly faster.

Waiting for the iPhone 5 but I've also considered switching to a Motorola. But I'll probably stick with Apple and while I never would have admitted it a year ago or so, I'll probably stick with AT&T. I like their plans better and I hate experience of walking into the Verizon stores (or any of them) so much that I will probably just not switch. That's how turned off I am by the idiot sales people and 'corporate speak' that they are trained to use.

But I too wish for a phone which just worked better and had better sound quality.

I do sort of need the smart phone for two things - weather radar is handy in my job and I can list myself on flights and check flights with the smart phone. It is actually useful or I'd probably switch. But my actual data usages are surprisingly low.

My iPhone 3G is definitely reaching 'ancient' status though. Looking forward to some increased speed in the future.

Homsie
08-10-2011, 03:21 PM
There are a couple of other things that android does better than the iPhone...at least until iOS 5 comes along.

Notification system - all notifications (app updates, emails, sms, etc.) are in the notification panel which you can access by dragging your finger from the top of the screen downwards. This is a much less intrusive notification system than currently exists on the iPhone, which pops up notifications in the middle of the screen and you have to dismiss it. This will be fixed when iOS5 comes out.

Stock Browser Zoom and text autofit - Android's stock browser allows you to autofit text after you pinch zoom. Both iOS Safari and Android browsers zoom in/out to a fixed level if you double tap the screen, but only Android autofits after you pinch zoom. In Safari, you have to scroll back and forth if you pinch zoom as there's no way to autofit text at the zoomed level....which is really annoying.

Social network integration - If you have both Outlook and Facebook contacts, Android allows various levels of combining these contacts depending on the UI. For example, Sense UI on HTC phones automatically suggests matching contacts from both sources.

Sharing pictures from the gallery or after you've just taken it. In Android, you tap the picture and hit the double up arrow share button and you can sms, email, post to facebook, picasa or any other app that you've downloaded and installed. On the iPhone, all you can do is SMS and email a photo from the gallery. To post it to facebook, you have to exit the gallery, launch the facebook app, go to photos, upload photos and then post.

Native voice search is far superior on Android since it searches the web as well, not just the phone like the iPhone's native search does. This isn't a deal killer since you can download google voice search on an iPhone.

Homsie
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Then I'm confused...since AT and T, Sprint and T Mobile also sells phones with Android and they are referred to as droids. I'm not talking about the title of a phone, I'm talking about how the term is applied.

I don't think that AT&T, T Mobile or Sprint refer to them as droids; they refer to them as Android OS phones. I think that people refer to them as "droids" because they think it's a nickname for Android....

thegunner
08-10-2011, 03:45 PM

i assumed he was asking about the motorola droid.

i know the difference bro ;) i work for google haha. my point is, if he's asking generics then a lot of the answers here are kind of pointless. a lot of people are saying that the iphone has better screen, better haptics, better whatever...

i'd argue that the amoled screen on the nexus is far superior to the iphone's

benb
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I like the apple vibrate mode- it's the only one I've ever used that's actually silent- I like not getting that weird, muffled "werrrrrrrmp werrrrrrrmp" sound.

When I have it on silent mode I want it to be silent.

Got a co-worker who hates his iphone because silent mode silences all the alarms, even wake up alarms. everyone has their preferences...

Maybe you have an older iPhone.. my iPhone 4 still plays audible alarms when it's in silent mode. It's not "silent mode", it's just "vibrate mode". There are certain things that still play audio when it's on..

It allowed me to sleep last night for example, and still get woken up by my alarm without having to listen to "ding" all night from work related messages. :)

I think they can strike a balance between "You can feel it" and "It annoys everyone else in the room", and Apple doesn't have it right.

forrestw
08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Android. I like Macs and apple's design is ok but I hate their obsession with one button devices.

Google My Tracks app for recording rides is the bomb and I've found the android ii easier than ios.

Plus omg 4g is fast and my new phone (atrix) has dual processors, sick fast. :)

edl
08-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Kevin g

I had an iphone for two years, then a HTC Droid Inc, currently using a Samsung Charge. Here's my general take on both phones:

Android Pros: more customizable OS, less updating, removable storage, better google integration, awesome navigation, louder external speaker, bigger/brighter display, 4G network.

Iphone Pros: sleek design, smooth operation, higher resolution screen (but smaller physical size), longer battery life, more applications.

My opinion - if you've been happy with your Droid for two years, don't switch to iphone. You'll need to learn a new OS, and the lack of a dedicated back key will drive you nuts. Also, 4G network is pretty hot stuff, at least in California. I average 10MB down and 5-6MB up. It's nice to carry the equivilant of a cable modem in your pocket.

I am also on Verizon, but when I switched to the Samsung Charge I also had the option of the iphone. Not interested. Personally I like being able to save files to the phone and having access to a file manager. Or having the option to change the memory card as I please. Those little practical and logical touches are a major advantage to Android IMO.

krhea
08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm currently rollin' the Samsung 4g Charge and absolutely love it. No a single problem whatsoever and the thing is just flat out fast. It was the right decision for me and I won't look back.
On another note, my wife bought me a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 4g tablet for my birthday yesterday. We had been contemplating Ipad2s for quite some time and then I began reading all the reviews, tech reports etc on the Samsung and thought if I ever purchased a tablet that's what it would be. Even though everyone talks about the bazillion of apps available for both Iphone and Ipads I'll tell ya what, if I can't find enough apps in the Android universe then I just don't need it! Last I read Android apps numbered hundreds of thousands, like maybe 300k. I think that'll cover my meager needs plus, Android is the up and comer and more apps are both appearing everyday and are coming out in both Iphone and Android simultaneously.

KRhea

Pizzaguy
08-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I use and iPhone, it's not perfect, but I wouldn't give it up.

onekgguy
08-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all your input. But for as much as it helps I still find myself vacillating between the two phones. If I had to make the decision tonight I'd probably stay with my Droid with navigation being the biggest reason as I enjoy using it when I've got to go to places I'm unfamiliar with.

I think I'll plan to wait and see what the next version iPhone has to offer before I decide one way or the other. I suppose this is a good problem to have because I don't really see where I can go wrong no matter which phone I choose.

Kevin g

frenk
08-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I know your choice is between iPhone and 'droid, but if you don't have anything "religious" agains microsoft (like many people) I suggest you take a look at windows phone 7, if only for curiosity. I'm using one for several months now and it's awesome. It still has some limitations right now but they should be mostly gone come the next update (it has nothing to do with the old crappy windows mobile btw).

1happygirl
08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a question since I see it in multiple posts. Isn't there a MY Tracks app for iPhones?

FWIW even though I don't have a smartie yet, I only think from what I've seen only a standalone Nav would do. Besides, Google tracking my every move :confused: ?

thx 2 the OP 4 the thread as I will be entering the 20th century in sept hopefully

benb
08-11-2011, 10:20 AM
You can be tracked on just about any phone without using Nav.. so either leave your cellphone off or at home, or go ahead and use whatever you want and don't worry about it.

JMerring
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I have a question since I see it in multiple posts. Isn't there a MY Tracks app for iPhones?

FWIW even though I don't have a smartie yet, I only think from what I've seen only a standalone Nav would do. Besides, Google tracking my every move :confused: ?

thx 2 the OP 4 the thread as I will be entering the 20th century in sept hopefully

i trust google tracking my every move much more than i do apple. just sayin' :)

dhoff
08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
If you get a Droid, Get a 4G one, I have the Thunderbolt and am very pleased. It has been dropped many times as well.

I use it and Gmail as my primary operating platform on my mac. Sync is virtually instant and seamless.

Also VERY IMPORTANT, if you use Droid, get Advanced Task Killer or a similar app and use it regularly. this deals with the "bugginess" that people have spoken of.

-dH

drewski
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I just purchased a Droid tablet Samsung Galaxy. I am very impressed
by the quality of the interface and overall speed. Power consumption
is a little bit of a problem.

Since it uses Lynux and not Windows it is a very fast device.
The map functionality has been trully fabulous. I am in New York City
driving throughout the 5 boros and it has been a big time saver.

onekgguy
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Speaking of Google tracking your every move, I do find Google Latitude (http://youtu.be/Q-Oq-9enE-k) to be beneficial for my wife to see how I'm doing out on my extended rides.

Kevin g

bikeman0027
08-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I can totally attest to the battery life (or lack there of) on the Android platform. I have one of the Sprint Android flagship phones, the Evo 4G, and even with normal use I have to plug it in by 7pm to recharge.

I love the phone itself and the OS, but the battery issue is huge. If I want to use GPS navigation, I have about 30 minutes before the phone is indicating 10% battery remaining.

Not good. iPhone next.

Kevin g

winmonster
08-13-2011, 07:04 PM
The screen on my Motorola Droid X2 is superior to the iPhone4's. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Try both and see which one you like better.

Don't blame 4G battery life on Android, specifically. All 4G phones suck in that regard right now.

1happygirl
08-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Went yesterday and looked at Thunderbolt. Very !! nice phone.

Salesman even said battery life was short! Turn off the 4G if you get it he said. My peeps live in a rural area so any phone I get would drain the battery as it constantly searches for a signal.
Great phone though. Have the see the iPhone in Sept. though.
1 bad thing, stand covers speaker when closed. Go figure.Do engineers really use their own products?

LiteFM
09-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong place for this post but I'm looking for an HTC Evo Android phone for Sprint. Does anyone want to sell me one?