PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hematoma

Dlevy05
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I've been working construction and in the middle of the day, friday, I slipped. Myside apparently hit the handle of the wheelbarrow I was working with, although I barely remember this happening. I didn't even hit the ground, and remained on my feet the entire time. I resumed my day, and practically forgot about the incident until I lay in bed before going to sleep. I inadvertently ran my fingers over the crease where my leg meets by body, and felt a PAINFUL lump. The type of thing that I couldn't even graze without feeling severe pain. I was freaking out thinking it was a hernia, and only the morning after, when I walked into the urgent care office, was I told that it was a hematoma (bruise). The day after, I could not walk or sit strait, and it hurt in all positions, and with any movement.

Interestingly enough, there ares no visible marks. This means that the pocket of blood must be behind the layer of muscle.

It since has been getting steadily better, and I think I'll even go for a LEISURELY ride today.

Strange.....Just thought I'd share....

thinpin
08-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Giant leeches are the way to go

BumbleBeeDave
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
. . . if it hasn't gone away totally in a few weeks.

Long time ago when I was a news photographer, I was shooting a baseball game, sitting on the first base line, and a foul line drive hit the inside of my ankle.

Same thing happened--ugly bruise but that big pocket of blood also. Doc had to drain it after a few weeks because the body had not absorbed it all back. Not pretty and not fun . . . :crap:

BBD

Charles M
08-09-2011, 06:56 PM
same here (drainage).

Rubber bullet versus baseball, but same crap...

retrogrouchy
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I've been working construction and in the middle of the day, friday, I slipped. Myside apparently hit the handle of the wheelbarrow I was working with, although I barely remember this happening. I didn't even hit the ground, and remained on my feet the entire time. I resumed my day, and practically forgot about the incident until I lay in bed before going to sleep. I inadvertently ran my fingers over the crease where my leg meets by body, and felt a PAINFUL lump. The type of thing that I couldn't even graze without feeling severe pain. I was freaking out thinking it was a hernia, and only the morning after, when I walked into the urgent care office, was I told that it was a hematoma (bruise). The day after, I could not walk or sit strait, and it hurt in all positions, and with any movement.

Interestingly enough, there ares no visible marks. This means that the pocket of blood must be behind the layer of muscle.

It since has been getting steadily better, and I think I'll even go for a LEISURELY ride today.

Strange.....Just thought I'd share....

A sub-dural hematoma can take about 4-5 weeks to completely re-absorb (don't ask me how I know, I just know, 'kay?).

chuckred
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
What were you protesting?

same here (drainage).

Rubber bullet versus baseball, but same crap...

Louis
08-10-2011, 11:06 PM

That wasn't a "protest," it was criminality, pure and simple. Feral rats. ;)

thinpin
08-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Use of Tig welding on steel frames?

soulspinner
08-11-2011, 05:00 AM

:p

DreaminJohn
08-11-2011, 07:15 AM

POTD yo.

William
08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Check with Beungood, he can tell you all about them. :D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=25766&highlight=Beungood

William ;) :)

swPArider
08-11-2011, 02:00 PM
just be thankful that your hematoma was on your leg. anybody remember the holyfield vs rahman heavyweight fight? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3YvELlo1A

mandasol
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
After my daughter had surgery on her neck the nurse told us to give our daughter Motrin. The next day my daughter had a huge hematoma on her neck that looked like a goiter so we rushed back to the hospital. The doctor that performed the surgery couldn't believe that the nurse recommended Motrin. Apparently NSAIDs can cause bleeding, and is probably what caused her hematoma to get out of hand.

So note to anyone with potential internal injury, don't take NSAIDs unless prescribed by a doctor.

rugbysecondrow
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
just be thankful that your hematoma was on your leg. anybody remember the holyfield vs rahman heavyweight fight? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3YvELlo1A

I remember watching that fight, pretty nasty looking. That was right before boxing dropped completely off the ledge. Perfect example of a great sport ruined.

SEABREEZE
08-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Was in the hospital had a IV, but they missed the vein, but still fed the IV drip, called the nurse, told her it hurt like hell.

End result put drip in other arm, but the arm they missed the vein, swelled up as you described and was very painful for a couple weeks, It took several months for the purple/blue color to disappear.

sc53
08-11-2011, 05:57 PM
All I did was lightly "bump" my elbow on my bike rack while loading bike to go on a ride out in the country. The swelling was unbelievable and 7 weeks later there is still a lump of squishy stuff on my elbow.

Charles M
08-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Well, getting fuching shot for one thing...

Dlevy05
08-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses. The doctor (kaiser, go figure) actually did prescribe me motrin. Fortunately, I don't take pain meds, so I didn't ingest any. I didn't know that NSAID's could cause bleeding.

The pain where my leg meets my body has mostly subsided, but I'm feeling a strange pressure above that area, in my abdomen. Hopefully that's just just the blood filtering it's way out of my body.

SEABREEZE
08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
All I did was lightly "bump" my elbow on my bike rack while loading bike to go on a ride out in the country. The swelling was unbelievable and 7 weeks later there is still a lump of squishy stuff on my elbow.

Phone in ear, Camera in a hand and arm raised, Multi tasking for sure, Your Hired ! :beer:

1happygirl
08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses. The doctor (kaiser, go figure) actually did prescribe me motrin. Fortunately, I don't take pain meds, so I didn't ingest any. I didn't know that NSAID's could cause bleeding.

Whoever prescribed their bad on the pt. education component.

Food prior, lots of hydration. Decreases renal perfusion also. Generally nt for a long time in my opinion.

thinpin
08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
nsaids interfere with platelet fucntion. Generally not a problem ..unless you have an active bleed (heamatoma)

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Well, getting fuching shot for one thing...

Just spit my coffee out laughing. :beer:

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Phone in ear, Camera in a hand and arm raised, Multi tasking for sure, Your Hired ! :beer:

Billable time? ;)