PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Ot

54ny77
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
For the love of bikes, can the mods please create an OT forum?

Lifelover
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
There are OT forums all over the interent. Every subject you might be interested in has an associated forum.

katemc8
08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Apparently some people (old and new posters alike) haven't read the user agreement. Personally I would love to see this forum stay bike-related. Some real "unfun" discussions of late. Keep in mind.. FUN is part of the user agreement. :)

This Forum is:

For viewing and browsing or for posting civil discussions by Serotta owners and non-owners alike.
To discuss Serotta products and anything relating to Serotta products, history, lore, events, etc.
A place for potential Serotta owners to pose questions relating to Serotta products and to gain information from current Serotta owners about their Serotta(s).
For discussion of cycling-related topics
For discussion of bicycle fit-related topics
A marketplace for the sale of cycling products by forum members (not by retailers and manufacturers)(exception being Serotta Dealers with permission
For fun!

54ny77
08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I do enjoy the "off-topics" here and the often unique perspective & intelligent responses, but when a couple or few out of every 10 threads is off-topic, it gets distracting.

Louis
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
What short memories we have.

We tried an "OT area." It degenerated very quickly and was axed.

I have to admit that I was wrong on this. I thought the OT would be a good idea, but there was way too much bad blood and I was glad to see it go. Some things are better left unsaid.

54ny77
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Just asking for a new subforum, that's all.

Thread locking can be an equal opportunity occurrence. ;)

What short memories we have.

We tried an "OT area." It degenerated very quickly and was axed.

I have to admit that I was wrong on this. I thought the OT would be a good idea, but there was way too much bad blood and I was glad to see it go. Some things are better left unsaid.

4Rings6Stars
08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
If a thread title doesn't interest you, don't click on it. Problem solved?

thwart
08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Some older members have seen the same bike question asked many times...

There's only so many things you can talk about that are 'directly bike-related'.

OT's keep things a little varied here... maybe a bit more interesting. Yeah, sometimes there seem to be too many (like now, in the doldrums after the TdF).

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Some older members have seen the same bike question asked many times...

There's only so many things you can talk about that are 'directly bike-related'.

OT's keep things a little varied here... maybe a bit more interesting. Yeah, sometimes there seem to be too many (like now, in the doldrums after the TdF).

When you walk the tight rope, there is a risk of falling...luckily we have a safety net. I like that the forum walks the tight rope, it makes it a fun place.

54ny77
08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Not if the forum becomes overcrowded with OT threads.

There are a million and one places to read about x, y or z non-bike topic. I come here to get away from that.

I'd rather read another thread on taillight ideas vs. a no-win thread on a non-bike topic that, ultimately, gets locked for one reason or another.

If a thread title doesn't interest you, don't click on it. Problem solved?

fourflys
08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I just skip past the OT threads unless the subject interests me... really not that difficult... :beer:

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I can appreciate that we are secure enough to have an OT on OT...pretty cool if you as me.

firerescuefin
08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
As Chris says...if it doesn't interest you, don't click on it.

A lot of people from a lot of different walks of life (professionally, culturally, geographically, etc) with a lot of experience. I enjoy the breadth and depth of that and for the most enjoy the OT posts. I for one would hate to see them go.

I can only take so many 4 page posts on patching a tube or what skewer color do you think would go with my new kit.

e-RICHIE
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
face it atmo some threads are immaterial.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :cool: :cool:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
:D :cool: :cool:

mister
08-09-2011, 02:15 PM
the material surely matters tho

e-RICHIE
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
the material surely matters tho

it's not the material it's the material supplier atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:p ;) ;)
:D :o :cool:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

branflakes
08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
This Forum is:

For viewing and browsing or for posting civil discussions by Serotta owners and non-owners alike.
To discuss Serotta products and anything relating to Serotta products, history, lore, events, etc.
A place for potential Serotta owners to pose questions relating to Serotta products and to gain information from current Serotta owners about their Serotta(s).
For discussion of cycling-related topics
For discussion of bicycle fit-related topics
A marketplace for the sale of cycling products by forum members (not by retailers and manufacturers)(exception being Serotta Dealers with permission
For fun!
Fairly certain this thread is in violation.

:fight:

christian
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
The OT threads are a big reason I spend more time across the hall, even though that forum has less traffic.

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
6 OT threads on the first page (including this one and the one asking about London Forum Members...it could only be 4 if you don't could them)

38 total threads on the first page.

16% of threads are OT

better yet

84% of threads are NOT OT and are bike related.

Now, is this an actual problem or a percieved problem?

christian
08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
And on page 4, it's 9 out of 35. (You shouldn't count stickies - they repeat each page and skew your number.)

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I am not going to look at the third page to count :)

My point is that 84% of the threads on the front page are on topic, plenty of bike related stuff to discuss. That doesn't seem like a problem. Plenty of threads for everyone.

54ny77
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
What is the best chain lube? :p

Bruce K
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Sorry but the inquiry as to the well being of our members/freinds in London is closer to on topic than some of the other stuff for me.

A lot of the OT stuff allows members to get expert advice or personal experience from other members and again, that is OK BY ME.

Other stuff however gets a shorter leash.

The best advice is if it doesn't interest you skip it and we'll do th best we can to limit the amount of OT stuff.

BK

Louis
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
What is the best chain lube? :p

For a brand-new out-of-the-box chain, or for a chain that's currently in use? ;)

Pete Serotta
08-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks Bruce. This is part of forum personality and new sub forums are not part of it.

Sorry but the inquiry as to the well being of our members/freinds in London is closer to on topic than some of the other stuff for me.

A lot of the OT stuff allows members to get expert advice or personal experience from other members and again, that is OK BY ME.

Other stuff however gets a shorter leash.

The best advice is if it doesn't interest you skip it and we'll do th best we can to limit the amount of OT stuff.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
. . . resentment of OT threads.

First because it's rare that I can't tell from a thread title that it's OT and if I'm not interested I simply don't dive into it . . . just skip it.

Second because people complain about threads online, but don't simply send a PM to alert moderators to a bad--or developing bad--situation.

Third, that forum members know political threads--or threads that are obviously becoming political--are not permitted . . . and they start them anyway.

I'm gonna go for a ride . . .

BBD

learningtoride
08-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Not that it may matter, but, I am new to cycling and there is a great deal to learn. So many terms etc. I found this forum out because the people that have influenced my desire to be a part of the cycling community all talk of the higher grade bikes they own. I haven't yet made that first purchase because I am still going places,reading and interacting on the web before I buy my first REAL RB. I would just like to say that I read most of the threads in the general topic area to learn and the OT points have given me a feeling of being a part of a community because we get to know one another somewhat and share/debate/enjoy a joke together. I know even as a new entry that if I don't like a topic thread to just pass over it. I know there are many people here who were an encouragement to keep going when I felt that I sucked and doubted myself. Or during the aftermath of my recent auto wreck. I enjoy coming online here to THIS forum most of all because the folks here seem the most honest and knowledgeable and less...well...snotty then some of the other forums I partake in. So for that I say Thank You. I hope the OT will create more of a welcoming community for cyclist and would be cyclists alike. With the class that only those who can appreciate the beauty of something like Serotta can accurately teach someone new like me. Thanks for listening to my input. :o

William
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Not again. :rolleyes:

Very simple: Don't want to read it, don't click on it. It doesn't get any simpler then that.

William

1happygirl
08-10-2011, 01:44 AM
As Chris says...if it doesn't interest you, don't click on it.

A lot of people from a lot of different walks of life (professionally, culturally, geographically, etc) with a lot of experience. I enjoy the breadth and depth of that and for the most enjoy the OT posts. I for one would hate to see them go.

I can only take so many 4 page posts on patching a tube or what skewer color do you think would go with my new kit.
Not to marginalize bikes but we are bigger than just bikes. Cancer, illness (I was stuck in bed with pneumonia and asked for music advice) children growing up, promotions, demotions, layoffs, hobbies outside of cycling, motorcycles, photography, computers, technology, sailing, economics, meet-ups, greet-ups, hook-ups, cooking, eating, restaurants, marriages, divorces, children, parents, grandparents, death, life, love, fashion, wine, women, men, song, vacations, animals, crazy relatives, medicine, law
We are the internet water cooler and the thread is not employment where we are thrown together by force-we chose to be here.
WE ARE FAMILY
ps I am tired and forgive the hyperbole but I can't wait to wear my Serotta family forum reunion jersey. Only thing missing on my jersey is the year AND MY MONIKER ;)
pps and just like a dysfunctional family on Thanksgiving we have rabble rousers and nuts in the family. We just ignore them but one or two in the family will still have to ask, "Why" or pull Uncle Roy's finger and then the fight is on.

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2011, 05:42 AM
. . . more wine, women, and song threads . . . :D

BBD

learningtoride
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
. . . more wine, women, and song threads . . . :D

BBD
ok BBD, what is your favorite Australian wine? lol :rolleyes:

Pete Serotta
08-10-2011, 07:50 PM
ok BBD, what is your favorite Australian wine? lol :rolleyes:

Australia has some very good reds :D :beer: Pete. I had some Turley tonight with my son in law..... It was consumed in one sitting,,, :beer:

learningtoride
08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Australia has some very good reds :D :beer: Pete. I had some Turley tonight with my son in law..... It was consumed in one sitting,,, :beer:
ahhhh Turley. I would love merlot right NOW! :beer: