PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Pedals....

Onno
08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I've been cycling on clipless pedals for at least 20 years now, and I'm still irritated by how quickly they get noisy. I've had Looks, DA spd, Time RX, cheap Wellgos, and none of them stay quiet for more than a few months. The noise is almost always from the cleat clicking, creaking, squeaking, which I guess is unavoidable if you are also going to have float. The DAs are the best, I suppose, though I find I need to replace the cleat every 3000 miles or so to keep them reasonably quiet. Have any of you found a truly quiet pedal?

I guess you can tell that I find noises coming from any part of my bike (other than the gentle whir of a well-lubed chain) unacceptable.

false_Aest
08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
lube.

Mike748
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Speedplay X

rnhood
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Keep your DA pedals, they remain the best option in my opinion. Be sure the cleats are aligned with the pedal when your foot is at its natural pedaling angle. You can twist the cleat to align it, then tighten. Check the tightness of the cleat bolts on occasion as they will sometimes work loose. And, put just a small dab of grease on the front of your cleat where it interfaces with the pedal.

Onno
08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I have tried light lubricants (chain lubes, soap, Triflow) on pedals and cleats, with only limited success (i.e. they work for a few rides, or less). I've never tried grease because it's so good at attracting dirt, and I assume at some point I'll track it through the house. Do people here regularly put grease on pedals/cleats?

Ken Robb
08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I have tried light lubricants (chain lubes, soap, Triflow) on pedals and cleats, with only limited success (i.e. they work for a few rides, or less). I've never tried grease because it's so good at attracting dirt, and I assume at some point I'll track it through the house. Do people here regularly put grease on pedals/cleats?

I wonder of beeswax would work. Or White Lightning or similar waxy chain lube?

gpw19
08-09-2011, 11:12 AM
You could try a PTFE or wax based lubricant like White Lighting Epic Ride or other brands, I know Speedplay offers a PTFE lube that they highly recommend using on there cleats. Not sure how it well it works on plastic cleats but does on good job metal interfaces.

bumknees
08-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I use DuPont teflon multi use spray on my Speedplay frogs on the pedal/cleat interface (metal - metal), and have never noticed clicking

TAW
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Keep your DA pedals, they remain the best option in my opinion. Be sure the cleats are aligned with the pedal when your foot is at its natural pedaling angle. You can twist the cleat to align it, then tighten. Check the tightness of the cleat bolts on occasion as they will sometimes work loose. And, put just a small dab of grease on the front of your cleat where it interfaces with the pedal.

I agree. Having tried every variation of Look and Time pedals, the Shimano DA or Ultegra pedals are the most squeak free of any I have owned.

BdaGhisallo
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
What are you doing with the Shimano pedals to make them squeak? I have used the various generations of DA spd-sl pedals since they were introduced in 2002 and they are the one style of pedal that I have never had any squeak from.

rustychisel
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
What are you doing with the Shimano pedals to make them squeak?

+ 1

for true enjoyment, Keywin and shoe polish for maintenance. No noise, never.

BdaGhisallo
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
+ 1

for true enjoyment, Keywin and shoe polish for maintenance. No noise, never.

I have just installed some Keywin CRM pedals and I am excited to give them a go. I love the spd-sl design but that lateral movement with the yellow cleats (not the 6 deg angular float but lateral movement that changes the Q factor) has irritated me enough. I want a pedal where the Q stance is fixed. Look are out because of their crap bearings and notorious cleat squeak, and SPlay are out due to the finickiness of the install and the premature wear that seems inherent to the design as best I can tell. Keywin fits the bill even before you get to the added benefits of super light weight and super low cost.

Those that use them for extended periods seem to get religious about the beauty of Keywins. I hope to join that congregation!

avalonracing
08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I wonder of beeswax would work. Or White Lightning or similar waxy chain lube?

I used to use a bit of soap on the platforms of my old LOOK pedals, it stopped the noise and stayed clean.

I do not put up with bike noises and would not ride a pedal that makes noise. Think about the jillion times that you would hear that per year. That said my Speedplay Zeros are quiet.

Bob Loblaw
08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
I put grease on the pedal surface, a light coating anywhere the cleat touches.

You might track it into the house, but if you're walking around in your cleats enough to be concerned about greasy shoe-prints, that in itself might explain why they're squeaky...a little wear and a little dust and it's squeak city.

BL

Der_Kruscher
08-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I'll just chime in to back up those who have mentioned that Speedplays are quiet/silent. Maybe worth a try although they are quite different than what you've been riding.

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2011, 05:49 AM
. . . with my LOOK Keo's. When LOOK went to Keo from Delta they started putting nylon inserts in the cleats at the contact points. Works good. The cleats are not particularly durable but work perfectly other than that.

BBD

oldpotatoe
08-10-2011, 07:47 AM
I've been cycling on clipless pedals for at least 20 years now, and I'm still irritated by how quickly they get noisy. I've had Looks, DA spd, Time RX, cheap Wellgos, and none of them stay quiet for more than a few months. The noise is almost always from the cleat clicking, creaking, squeaking, which I guess is unavoidable if you are also going to have float. The DAs are the best, I suppose, though I find I need to replace the cleat every 3000 miles or so to keep them reasonably quiet. Have any of you found a truly quiet pedal?

I guess you can tell that I find noises coming from any part of my bike (other than the gentle whir of a well-lubed chain) unacceptable.

Lemon Pledge..careful on the cleats, they get slippery.