PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with the new bottom bracket options

lonoeightysix
08-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Looking for opinions on BB30 vs PF30 and the other myriad manufacturer specs (86, 92 etc.) Road and MTB experiences welcome. Creaking, bearing longevity, your opinion on which standard will be the frontrunner in years to come, etc.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Looking for opinions on BB30 vs PF30 and the other myriad manufacturer specs (86, 92 etc.) Road and MTB experiences welcome. Creaking, bearing longevity, your opinion on which standard will be the frontrunner in years to come, etc.

Only a couple of PF BB30 bearing sets, sram and FSA and both bearing sets are miserable. Short lived in any kind of wet. Campagnolo has the best solution to PF BB30, sets of cups, then the normal crank. shimano usses the PF BB30 bearing set then adapters, still having the unreliable bearing issue.

Pretty much the same for BB30..Campagnolo has cups, Wheels also makes better bearings(sram still poor, even the ceramic), still need an adapter for shimano.

Frame makers like the big tubes hooked to big tubes option of BB30/PF BB30(samo for headtubes) but it really answers no question nor solves any 'problem' with regard to threaded BB shells, IMHO.

Don't really have any experience with the others..Trek, cervelo and other 'standards'.

wasfast
08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
The number of "ideas" on bottom brackets is near dizzing. I agree completely with oldpotatoe that it's all a case of "if it's not broke, don't fix it". It seems to be more of a market differentiator.

Probably the biggest concern is long term support. There will be a downselect and certainly some of the choices will no longer have bottom brackets available. If you intend on keeping your bike for a number of years, this may be important.

My main bike has a BB30 bottom bracket but I have an adapter to allow regular threaded (BSC) bb's. As mentioned, if you run Campy/Fulcrum, you can use the BB30 version cups without having a special crank.