PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Gear Secrets

Lifelover
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Anyone have some tricks of the trade for riding fixed?

I just did my first fixed ride this past Sunday and was left feeling like it may not be for me.

However the experience does have me pondering how I could make it better. Is there is specific advise that has helped you enjoy it more?

What type of rides to you prefer fixed?

Clipped or straps or platforms?

Fat tires?

Do you adjust your position at all?

Flat or Drop bars?

Groups or solo only?

Blah, blah, blah.

cat6
08-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I'd start with some cages/clips w/toe straps to start. Platform pedals without any foot retention will feel odd, at least it does for me.

Use whatever tires you'd like, ride with groups if you feel like you can. You're equipped with brakes so you can stop just as well.

I guess my only warning would be for taking turns. You won't be able to control where your crank arms are and run the risk of pedal strike.

Take it slow, you'll answer all your own questions over time :)

rcnute
08-09-2011, 01:28 AM
I'd start with some cages/clips w/toe straps to start. Platform pedals without any foot retention will feel odd, at least it does for me.

Use whatever tires you'd like, ride with groups if you feel like you can. You're equipped with brakes so you can stop just as well.

I guess my only warning would be for taking turns. You won't be able to control where your crank arms are and run the risk of pedal strike.

Take it slow, you'll answer all your own questions over time :)

Yup, give it time, it takes some practice but when you get it it's just, well, fun. Last year I did a 200k brevet and a double century on my fixed gear.

Ryan

rustychisel
08-09-2011, 01:48 AM
1. read everything written on this subject by 11.4 which is a trove of useful and hard won information.

2. take is easy at first until your handling of the situation determined by your ability to handle the bike. There is nothing intrinsically weird about riding a fixed gear; but if things go wrong they can quickly become quite pear shaped.

F'rinstance, stopping with the crank in the wrong position and a gritted cleat can be heaps of fun and you might end up eating tarmac. If, however, you can unclip equally with both right and left foot, on a dime, then you might retrieve an otherwise nasty situation (or not get into one in the first place). So learn to unclip/clip in with both legs...

3. don't expect the Zen thing. It's bollocks. Riding fixed gear is about even application of effort and, dare I say it, souplesse. That which I call 'soft-pedalling'... it'll enable you to modulate your speed, move around obstacles, reach a bidon whilst riding, adjust your tackle and rise easily off the saddle when a pothole threatens your euqilibria.

4. specifically to equipment. Don't hammer until you know what the bike feels like and will do and how it will respond. Learn first, test limits later. Perhaps have your saddle a cm or 2 lower than your geared bike; a smoother cadence is better maintained with slight flexure of the knee rather than having the leg full straightened. It makes sense, is better for the aforementioned 'souplesse' and is what the hard winter-men of old used to advise.

5. don't give up on the idea of riding fixed gear so early. Give it time. I commute every day on fixed gear, but my favourite rides are longer flatter rides not interrupted by other traffic or infrastructure.

6. ask questions about anything at all. There is no topic or consideration which is too silly. Riding a fixed gear is great fun, but it's just a slightly different form of cycling, that's all. Who knows, you might take up track work.

Best

AngryScientist
08-09-2011, 06:24 AM
first off, Happy Birthday Lifelover! :beer:

i think everyones first fixed gear experience is a little disconcerting, it goes against what you're body is used to, pedaling wise.

i picked it up and loved it almost instantly though. i went immediately to clipless pedals (except for the commuter, thats traps and straps for footwear reasons).
the more you ride, the more comfortable you become on the bike, it's a beautiful thing.

as others have mentioned, take it slow, learn what your body is capable of, but dont sell yourself short right away, i'm constantly surprised at the size of the hills i can climb fixed, with ease a lot of the time, it's really liberating.

thinpin
08-09-2011, 06:37 AM
pothole threatens your euqilibria.
Do I take it you mean the rider and his machine.

povofphilos
08-09-2011, 06:41 AM
riding track drops on your fixed sucks for street use and long rides. learned that the hard way. what ratio are you running?

sg8357
08-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Pedals, double sided clip less, I use SPD.
Don't use too tall a gear.
Leave both brakes on the bike if long descents are part of your rides,
like 1 mile+.
Learn to reposition the cranks at stops by lifting the rear wheel.
Apply the front brake, then you can use your clipped in foot to lift
and spin the rear wheel.
Drops, can't pretend to be Reg Harris if you ride flat bars.
A saddle that you really like, there is a whole lot more sitting
when riding fixed.

veloduffer
08-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Give it some time. It's a little disconcerting at first but over time it becomes natural. Take shorter rides and ride with some friends, as you'll start to forget that you're riding a fixie. I don't try to ride it with alot of effort, just for pleasure.

Also I have my fixed/ss setup exactly as my road bikes with SPD pedals. I also have front and rear brakes, as it is hilly and I do ride in some areas with traffic. Pick a gearing that you can spin well -- I use 42/18 to get around the rolling terrain here.

rustychisel
08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Do I take it you mean the rider and his machine.

Yes, since equilibrium pertains to all forces in play. I used the term because it's a very elegant word*

* when spelled correctly :crap:

oldpotatoe
08-09-2011, 07:49 AM

I just did my first fixed ride this past Sunday and was left feeling like it may not be for me.

However the experience does have me pondering how I could make it better. Is there is specific advise that has helped you enjoy it more?

Fat tires?

Flat or Drop bars?

Groups or solo only?

Blah, blah, blah.

Flat rides

Speedplay

Normal road tires

Same position

Road bars

Solo

Poor weather alternative

blah

bobswire
08-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Careful when coming up to stop signs/lights,the urge to take chances is much higher than for geared since stopping and starting in more of a drag than it is for geared.
Safety first.

Fixed
08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
use small gears
learn to spin a high cadence .
cheers enjoy

jvp
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Easier to leg-brake w/ smaller gears. Around here (rolling terrain) I use a gear ratio of around 72 gear inches. For pot holes, speed bumps, etc., remember to pedal through them, there is sometimes a tendency to stand and coast over them - big mistake! (ask me how I know!)
Sometimes I can do my ~10 mile city commute without ever using brake levers, or stopping, it kind of feels nice to do that -
Also, you have two gears - sitting or standing. Short hills feel easier to sprint up to me.

markie
08-09-2011, 09:56 AM
The challenge and difference is what makes it fun.

Learn to track-stand.

Actively pedal on the downhills.

Don't forget to pedal.

Use momentum to get up hills. Charge at any small rise in the road.

Be clipped in. Spd works for me.

fatallightning
08-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Fat tires?

Flat or Drop bars?

Groups or solo only?

Blah, blah, blah.

i race track, so i usually ride my track bike at least once a week on the road for around 30 miles.

spd-sl

i ride my race wheels, disc rear and 88mm front to get used to the dynamics at speed. also my track gearing 49x15 (89gi)

my position is traditional for track, so compared to road, which is already fairly long and low, my track position is slightly higher saddle, slightly more forward, and bars lower. i race omniums and endurance, so i use classic road drops a size narrower (40cm) with a top mount front brake.

i only ride solo, the elevation changes are good because i can grunt up hills to work on standing start form and low cadence power. on the back side i can work on spin and power at high (140+) cadence.

spamjoshua
08-09-2011, 12:33 PM
You will want to find a different place in your head.

I am at 47x18 right now, with some decent hills.

I choose my gear based on being able to spin it out on a flat, but its being possible to stay on the bike for larger climbs. I could definitely go smaller for smoother climbing, but part of that is what I mean about finding a different place in your head.

On a road bike my goal is efficiency first and foremost.

On a fixie I am generally trying to crush myself physically, and fixed I do that in shorter windows. I like the constant pedaling (focused breathing, rotation of muscle groups, mental focus). The simple acts of rising from the saddle for every significant bump; initiating bursts of acceleration to maintain momentum; the upper body workout when climbing out of the saddle on steep sections; are all a big part of why I ride fixed. Its the closest I get to post-holing for fresh tracks, and while at times as hard/painful, the gains are there. Its a little like chasing someone who is constantly launching a break away.

I generally ride alone (board, bike, mtn. bike) as time is limited and I have personal goals, but I offer riding a fixie with casual roadies can be great fun too.

My body made it clear what it needed for fixed, but I concur with slightly higher and slightly more forward.

I ride drops as I need the available positions as my muscle groups fail.

SPD

Wider tires and lower pressure.

I note... I went the conversion (Road frame, ENO) route, but in the end am happiest with a frame designed for the task... From the higher BB, and horizontal drops, to the general fit/geometry.

I will also admit I love not pedaling sometimes: floating over bumps, letting my center of gravity fall into corners, putting miles away without pain, etc. There is lots of joy not to be forgotten in any of that. A fixie is just a different pleasure for different days.

Joshua

spiderman
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
You will want to find a different place in your head.

I am at 47x18 right now, with some decent hills.

I choose my gear based on being able to spin it out on a flat, but its being possible to stay on the bike for larger climbs. I could definitely go smaller for smoother climbing, but part of that is what I mean about finding a different place in your head.

On a road bike my goal is efficiency first and foremost.

On a fixie I am generally trying to crush myself physically, and fixed I do that in shorter windows. I like the constant pedaling (focused breathing, rotation of muscle groups, mental focus). The simple acts of rising from the saddle for every significant bump; initiating bursts of acceleration to maintain momentum; the upper body workout when climbing out of the saddle on steep sections; are all a big part of why I ride fixed. Its the closest I get to post-holing for fresh tracks, and while at times as hard/painful, the gains are there. Its a little like chasing someone who is constantly launching a break away.

I generally ride alone (board, bike, mtn. bike) as time is limited and I have personal goals, but I offer riding a fixie with casual roadies can be great fun too.

My body made it clear what it needed for fixed, but I concur with slightly higher and slightly more forward.

I ride drops as I need the available positions as my muscle groups fail.

SPD

Wider tires and lower pressure.

I note... I went the conversion (Road frame, ENO) route, but in the end am happiest with a frame designed for the task... From the higher BB, and horizontal drops, to the general fit/geometry.

I will also admit I love not pedaling sometimes: floating over bumps, letting my center of gravity fall into corners, putting miles away without pain, etc. There is lots of joy not to be forgotten in any of that. A fixie is just a different pleasure for different days.

Joshua

i was riding the exact same gearing
with much of the same riding pleasure you describe.
while recovering from my emergency surgery
i will be off the bike until labor day...
...and likely not ride fixed again until spring
because fixed riding is so demanding physically!
your post has inspired me.
thanks!
spidey

Ti Designs
08-09-2011, 04:51 PM
My secret to getting people on fixed gears is fall in New England. All the pressure to go fast is off, the heat is gone and the leaves turn colors.

It's not about the bike...

Scott Shire
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Is there is specific advise that has helped you enjoy it more?
Ride lots (from some Belgian guy). It's disconcerting for the first week's worth of regular riding. You get used to it. Wait until this comfort comes to make a judgment. I also really, really think you should ride on the track at least once. Most velodromes have beginner classes that offer SOO much information and a lot of fun. You can bring your bike, or only pedals and a helmet -- they'll have rental bikes. It's a great way to see what you can do on a bike with a LOT of variables removed,and made me fall in love with fixed gear riding.

Every single one less than 3 hours

Clipped (ATAC w/ cleat swap) on the fast bike. Toshi singles on Sylvan Track on the steel bike, which sees the most mileage. If you're going to ride fixed with clips/straps, EXCELLENT straps are a must. Toshi, MKS Fit-A (not the cheap ones), Kashimax -- I don't give NJS much sway but the straps are outstanding and truly enhance the FG experience. Cheap straps stretch when you're constantly backpedaling to control speed.

Fat tires?
They won't fit on the steel bike or the track bike, but the fast bike will accommodate and I've had fun with the Rivendell stuff but always go back to 23. For the month of winter we see here in ATL, I use a 24 in the front and a 32 in the rear.

There aren't hoods on any of my fixed gears, so I'm pretty much in the drops unless I'm panting on top of the bars. I lower my saddle a touch. I wouldn't want the geometry of any of my fixed gear bikes in a road bike.

Flat or Drop bars?
Drop. Though risers are comfortable around town (so I've heard).

Groups or solo only?
I'm bike-curious; I go both ways.

Hindmost
08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
If you have the opportunity to ride on a track it all makes sense. No dogs, pedestrians, nor cars will pull out in front of you. The track goes on forever. The others at the track have each other's well-being in mind.

If I can believe the internet there are a jillion people out riding roads on fixed-gears though I have only seen a handful. I know that serious racers did this back-in-the-day. But I am still not clear about the attraction. Heck, I feel in danger riding my road bike out there.

yarg
08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I echo almost exactly every sentiment Joshua said previously. Staying efficient on a road bike is not the same as on a fixed, to me it demands more effort and attention, but when you make the most of the momentum it is great fun.

45x17

I ride in every position as on road, maybe more % in the drops. I believe my setup is a tad more stretched out than my road bike.

Same tires and pressure - 25's @ 95

keevon
08-10-2011, 09:43 AM
1. Experiment. Handlebar swaps are easy with just a front brake. Try out different tires, saddles, and pedals until you feel comfortable. My fixed gear is constantly getting rebuilt with stuff I have laying around, just to keep it interesting.

2. Gear low. I started years ago with a 45x16, then lowered to 45x17, and have finally settled on 42x17. It's a great ratio for cruising on the flats while still allowing me to climb steep (15% and up) hills.

3. Ease into it. There's a definite learning curve. Start with short, flat rides until you get a feel for the bike, then build to longer, hillier rides as you get more confident. Eventually you'll be able to use the fixed gear for most rides you would have done geared.

cornice6
08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Riding fixie is fun but takes time and getting used to IMO. I prefer mostly flats and maybe small hills when riding fixie. From time to time, I visit a local velodrome which makes much more fun and less dangerous (w/ cars, etc.) I use 48x18 and works fine for my bum knee on street riding. I also use clips from the get go. 23c tires as this is the widest I can fit on the frame. I also use drops but have played around with bull and flats and eventually moved back to drop bars; works best for me. The riding position on my fixie is more compact as it is a slightly smaller geo frame than my road bikes, therefore I only tend to do no more than 2hr rides on it. I like going solo or group rides, doesn't really matter to me.

Spend a lot of time on the bike and just ride slower than you are used to compared to a road bike. In time it becomes natural. You might also want to put an emergency front brake if you find riding streets a lot as I do...just in case! Enjoy!

dawgie
08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
The dirty little secret about fixed gear and single speeds is that they can be hard on your knees. This is not necessarily true for everyone, but riding a SS/fixe for several months just about destroyed my knees. My bike was set up properly and the gearing was OK, but my knees couldn't handle the mashing and/or hard exertion. The roads are pretty hilly where I ride, and you pretty much have to attack the hills on a SS or fixie -- which is not kind to your knees when you haven't had much time to warm up.

I did not have knee issues before setting up one of my bikes as a SS/fixe, and the problems developed shortly thereafter. I foolishly kept riding the bike and pretty soon I was limping all the time. I put gears back on the bike and my knees gradually got well but it took months of time and a significant amount of physical therapy.

Something to keep in mind, recognizing that we are not all the same and many cyclists never have knee problems from riding a SS/fixe.

forrestw
08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
3. don't expect the Zen thing. It's bollocks. Riding fixed gear is about even application of effort and, dare I say it, souplesse. That which I call 'soft-pedalling'... it'll enable you to modulate your speed, move around obstacles, reach a bidon whilst riding, adjust your tackle and rise easily off the saddle when a pothole threatens your euqilibria.
I would disagree on that, riding fixed has definitely helped my sense of riding any sort of bike with better feel for the road. Mind you, I'd read Sheldon on the subject and had not been impressed with some of his claims; I took up fixed riding for improved fitness and fast leg turnover.

ref the OP

All types of rides until the grades start to exceed 10% or very long down- grades exceed maybe 7%

I don't ride w/ clips straps anymore only because I can't find suitable shoes anymore and my old shoes are beyond useful. On balance I like clipless better anyhow. SPDs are nice and easy, sometimes I'll throw my KEO pedals onto a fixed bike but that sure makes clipping in / out while riding a bit more challenging.

23-25 mm tires in summer, bigger according to conditions in winter.

When I'm doing relatively short rides fixed I can use the same drop as I do on a freewheel bike; if I was covering longer distances I'd want to raise the stem a bit.

Drop. I don't use the drops often (prefer to use a semi-TT position forearms on bars) but I'm so used to drop bars that I can't imagine achieving decent handling on flat -- plus I don't wanna be mistaken for a hipster wannabe :-)

Group, solo ... riding in a paceline fixed takes a bit more concentration on application of force, I'd be sure you're well-comfortable and experienced fixed before riding with a group.

Oh and wrt knees, my first 6 months I watched my knees reaction and built distance slowly, have done hilly rides of up to 80 miles without ever a problem.

FlashUNC
08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
If there's a velodrome nearby, do go and sign up for the training/beginner class.

I can't stress enough how much fun track racing is, and as others have mentioned, it'll get you more comfortable with the bike.

Just don't do what I did when first riding them. If you decide to sprint/climb out of the saddle, I always had a tendency to stop pedaling when I sat back down. First (and only) time I did that on a fixed gear, bike did its best to try to buck me off.

I tend to think that if you stick with it, it can improve how you ride in a paceline, get you spinning more smoothly, and show just how fast you can turn the cranks over when forced to.

bambam
08-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I ride the same roads fixed or geared and I usualy ride in groups.
In time you'll figure out your gearing.

I've heard when you start your gear inches should be equal to your height. 6 foot=72 gear inches. My century fixed is 42x16 while my TNW is 48x16(Our TNW route only has one hill before the cool down.).

If you usually ride clipped in I would stick with it. Learn to track stand at least for a few seconds. That will give you enough time to stop unclip and put a foot down. It will ease some anxiety. Until you get that second foot in just keep the bike moving with the clipped in one.

If you plan to do steep hills have front and back brakes. Once, I was reving so fast on a downhill and using a lot of front brake. I did not have enough front brake. The back wheel started poping off the ground and I thought I was going over the bars. The back brake was very helpful and it was one of the few times I needed it. It helped me get control by applying it slowly when I felt the wheel hit the ground.

In time you will learn to adjust your position while pedaling.

When you ride in a group be cautious around geared people on hills. Most likely you will decend slower but climb faster.

You will probably learn that on rollers geared people start pedaling late and you will really catch up fast at the bottom of the rollers. Go around them and keep that momentum up.

While off the bike I like to put one pedal down and lean the bike over till it hits the ground. This give me an idea of how far it will lean before I have to worry about a pedal strike.

good luck and have fun.

keevon
08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
If you plan to do steep hills have front and back brakes.
If you run a rear brake on your fixed gear, be certain that your cog and lockring are adequately tightened. I would also suggest using either the rear brake or back-pressure from your legs, but not both.

The combo of back-pressure from your legs and a rear brake generates a lot of torque on the cog, in the wrong direction. It's very easy to strip a hub under those conditions... trust me.

killacks
08-10-2011, 11:12 PM
This is a wealth of information. I wish I would've discovered this thread earlier.

Louis
08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
For a complete noob (like me) might it make sense to start with a BMX cog and go single speed (instead of fixed) to get used to the non-shifting part of things first? You could practice turns by pedaling through them as much as possible, but not have to go through it in an emergency.

Once you've done a handful of rides you could then install the fixed cog and go for real.

rustychisel
08-11-2011, 12:00 AM
For a complete noob (like me) might it make sense to start with a BMX cog and go single speed (instead of fixed) to get used to the non-shifting part of things first? You could practice turns by pedaling through them as much as possible, but not have to go through it in an emergency.

Once you've done a handful of rides you could then install the fixed cog and go for real.

Not to be rude, but it's a pointless exercise, really. You just ride the thing, so if you want to build a single speed instead of a fixed gear then that's what you build.

What is useful is to ride your geared bike in one gear, a lot, over all terrain, to decide what gearing you want on your fixed gear. Having decided that you can then go ahead and source the goodies to make your fixed gear dreams come true.

rustychisel
08-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I wrote:

don't expect the Zen thing. It's bollocks....

then you wrote

I would disagree on that, riding fixed has definitely helped my sense of riding any sort of bike with better feel for the road. etc

and then I italicised something you wrote... "helped my sense of riding any sort of bike" by way of addressing the point, which is, though you say you disagree with me you're actually agreeing with me.

It's just a slightly different form of riding which can augment your pleasure, not some mystical magical BS. :beer: