PDA

View Full Version : At what point are you too old to get a cycling tattoo?

Louis
07-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Ti Designs wrote: The image of Ben wearing a leather biker jacket, riding a lowrider Ottrott with big carbon side pipes and a huge tatoo that says "born to pedal" just popped into my head. Gotta stop eating mexican food before bedtime...

That comment on another thread got me to thinking again about something that’s been percolating in my brain for about 10 years: getting a cycling related tattoo. (In fact, it would be my first and only tattoo.)

OK, maybe I’m nuts, but the fact that I’m still thinking about this must mean something. It would not be big, or obvious most of the time, but IMO a really cool idea. Subtle, but undeniably related to cycling. (No, it would not be a David Clinger job.)

I figure it might be some sort of mid-life crisis, thing, who knows. (I’m 43, and hardly a punk.)

Well your thoughts? Anyone out there have any cycling tats?

Louis

Kevin
07-07-2005, 04:47 AM
If you have to ask, you are too old. By the way, I am also too old.

Kevin

rhg
07-07-2005, 05:23 AM
There's never a good age to get a tattoo... except, perhaps, on your deathbed.

William
07-07-2005, 05:28 AM
Just make sure that it's an image of something that means something to you. I can't tell you the number of people I know who went out in high school and got tats of something really dumb and are wondering why they wanted that Pink panther/Taz/demon ripping out of the skin thing. :confused:

I didn't get one until I was about 33. I designed it myself and it is of something that has meaning to me. No regrets.

Many people I know will say that once you get one you'll want to get more. There is truth to that. I felt that way as well but I refrained and stayed with the one. One of my old training partners owns a Tattoo place back in Portland. He trained in Japan and has been doing it for many years. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't go any where else. He's extremely sanitary, uses the right inks, and has the "touch".

Go for it...but think it through first.

William

Ti Designs
07-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Ti Designs wrote...

Great, one person reads something I wrote and goes out and gets a tatoo. I gotta start posting cycling posts on the tatoo forum...

OK, there's an age where you're clearly too young to get a tatoo, and there's an age where you're clearly too old. The time between those two is about a week, and you probably didn't have the money to do it back then...

William
07-07-2005, 05:37 AM

It's funny the kind of reactions you get depending on where you live. Some folk equate them with negative connotations judge people solely on that. In other areas it's quite prevelent and no one gives them a second thought.

It's the person, not the art.

William

Kevan
07-07-2005, 06:31 AM
when your skin begins to sag.

Why, the eagle tattooed on Sandy's chest looks like it's suffering from the scourge of West Nile disease. He's been thinking of having the image altered to look like a jellyfish.

Dr. Doofus
07-07-2005, 06:35 AM
you can take the training wheels off

Spinsistah
07-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't have any tattoos, and like Kevin, I'm too old to consider one, but if it's done tastefully and not a big spread across your chest or back, go ahead and get one. I used to kid Jim that I would get one and he said if I did to start looking for a new SO. It's funny, his daughter got one on her lower back, a little frog, and he didn't have a big problem with that. I've seen some that I think are great, others that literally make my skin crawl. Just remember, you'll have it for life unless you go through what I understand is a very painful procedure to have it removed.

BURCH
07-07-2005, 08:32 AM
My college rowing coach and cycling buddy had a neat chain ring tattoo on his calf just above the ankle. I always liked it on him as he lived on a bike.

Now he is a huge kayaker and even sent an email out to all his cycling buddies to notify us of his digression from cycling to paddling. I will have to ask if he regretful of the chain ring tat or if he is going to add a paddle thru it....

This guy is only in his early 30's so this has nothing to do with age...sorry.

dirtdigger88
07-07-2005, 08:40 AM

may I ask why you saw that? I agree with William- getting something dumb is just dumb- but if a tat really interests you and you find something that has meaning to you (NOTE- you wont find that something on the wall of the tattoo shops) I say go for it- I have two- one that i got in highschool (see williams comments above) the other I got when I was in my 20s- I drew the designs myself- and yes it has a deep personal meaning to me- I am considering another right now (not cycling related)

The fine line work (think of a black and white picture on your skin) interests me- I love the detail and work that goes into them- I am considering getting my sons face on my shoulder- leave enough room to add more for more kids-

If you wanst it go for it- I can give you the name of a few good artists in st louis

Jason

William
07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
My college rowing coach and cycling buddy had a neat chain ring tattoo on his calf just above the ankle. I always liked it on him as he lived on a bike.

Now he is a huge kayaker and even sent an email out to all his cycling buddies to notify us of his digression from cycling to paddling. I will have to ask if he regretful of the chain ring tat or if he is going to add a paddle thru it....

This guy is only in his early 30's so this has nothing to do with age...sorry.

Tattoos realating to hobbies are not always good idea. People often change interests over time. I guess it depends on how you view it. Sometimes they are veiwed as marking milestones or points in ones life like the crossed oars people often get when rowing & competing in college or military insignia when serving.

As I (and others) have stated previously, choose wisely because it's basically permanent.

William

William
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
may I ask why you saw that? I agree with William- getting something dumb is just dumb- but if a tat really interests you and you find something that has meaning to you (NOTE- you wont find that something on the wall of the tattoo shops) I say go for it-.... the other I got when I was in my 20s- I drew the designs myself- and yes it has a deep personal meaning to me- I am considering another right now (not cycling related)

Jason

Dirt-pal is correct. You won't likely find anything in the "Flash" that's hanging in the studio. Design it yourself, or have some one design it based on something that is personal to you.

William

BURCH
07-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Tattoos realating to hobbies are not always good idea. People often change interests over time. I guess it depends on how you view it. Sometimes they are veiwed as marking milestones or points in ones life like the crossed oars people often get when rowing & competing in college or military insignia when serving.

As I (and others) have stated previously, choose wisely because it's basically permanent.

William

I definately agree. I have wanted a tattoo for 10 years now, but nothing ever seems to be meaningful enough to me. I have even been in tattoo places a couple of times, but it never felt right.

When I was in the military and went to jump school, a lot of my comrades went to the tattoo shop and got their wings permanently put on them after we completed the training. I was tempted, but didn't get a tat. And though I am proud of my service, I am glad that I don't have "airborne" or a parachute on my body now. Although, my truck has an airborne sticker on it :)

Ginger
07-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Too old? nah...but do think about it and find a real artist to do it...as there are those who create tattoos and those who create skin art.

I was at a bar with a range of MTU grads the other night and one girl walked past in her low slung skirt and her rather crudely done lower back tattoo showing quite plainly...
©1982
but the © was backwards...I haven't found any alternate meaning for a backwards copyright symbol, so evidently, somewhere out there is a tattoo artist who is not clear on the concept.

You can't erase the errors, so make sure both you and the artist is clear on the concept, and let the artist be the artist. You've gotta like their work to get it on your skin. I've seen several tattoo artist's work that I wouldn't mind having, but I'd have to travel to get it and I'm not all that interested in doing that.

pjm
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Best tattoo I've seen was a bar code on the back of some dudes neck. If you want to be different, DON'T get a tattoo!

SGP
07-07-2005, 11:21 AM
when i was in the navy. we were over seas and a bunch of us went in to a small shop near the docks. i watched the neddle go from arm to arm to arm to butt :butt: to arm with out being changed once! :no: thinking of my wife back home i stepped out of line!

William
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
when i was in the navy. we were over seas and a bunch of us went in to a small shop near the docks. i watched the neddle go from arm to arm to arm to butt :butt: to arm with out being changed once! :no: thinking of my wife back home i stepped out of line!

Smart man! :beer:

William

shoe
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
well i actually do tattoos so if you feel you really want to get one than go ahead. be sure it is what you want, and think it through. i think if people are on the fence when they find a design they should just hold onto it for awhile. be it one month six months a year if need be. i started getting tattooed when i was 16 -now 35. i have covered some up and still continue to get more. it is for some people and not for others. i was once flown to hawaii to do someones entire back in 5 days who was 61 and i've tattooed people older than that. as far as being too old- we can be as old or young as we want in our minds. as far as getting a tattoo if you are over 18 up until they day you die is as good of age as any to get a tattoo if you want one. it was actually because of doing a bike tattoo that had gotten me into biking. my friend had just rode from coast to coast with a group and wanted to get a cycling tattoo and when she was down i was like --oh let me try your bike -and was amazed at the feel of a decent road bike and how smooth it was and bought my first road bike from her boyfriend two weeks later. as far as her tattoo she had a chain ring with cranks and wings on either side with a banner below that said godspeed. so good luck with your decision....just no that some people will be totally against it and some will be all for it.....but most of all just do what you feel you want too...good luck ... if you have any questions you can drop me a line..........dave

shoe
07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
and as far as sgp's story thank goodness they sterilize equipment these days...
http://www.safe-tattoos.com/faq.htm
here is a good starting place if you have some questions as to what to look for...
and just go into different places and talk with the people . find someone that you are comfortable with and be sure to look at their porfolio which every artist should have. ask about sterilization.

pjm
07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Whats wrong with the old grease sprocket tattoo on the right calf? At least its removable. :D

beungood
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I had a tattoo done while in the Marines when I was Young,dum and full of rum...I don't regret it other than making my grandmother cry when she saw it... :beer:

spiderman
07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
i'm too old for a cycling tattoo...
i rolled my ottrott one week ago today
on a set of angled railroad tracks.
i separated my shoulder
and have road rash
that is looking more and more tattoo like every day!
...definitely too old for that...

William
07-07-2005, 05:29 PM
i'm too old for a cycling tattoo...
i rolled my ottrott one week ago today
on a set of angled railroad tracks.
i separated my shoulder
and have road rash
that is looking more and more tattoo like every day!
...definitely too old for that...

The "too old" part that is. ;)

Hope you heal up soon. :)

William

Chief
07-07-2005, 06:29 PM
i am old and i guess old fashion. why would one want to deface the body that the good lord gav'em?

djg
07-07-2005, 08:13 PM
There are three general theories here:

(1) You're never too old.
(2) Asking the question suggests that you're already too old.
(3) If you're old enough to ask any question, then you're too old for a tatoo (and otherwise you're too young).

Personally, I've never been much tempted to carve a tatoo into my skin. I like plenty of cartoons now and again. I just don't like any of them enough for all the time and forever. And then there's family history, which would, along with what's left of the family, frown on such things in a big way. But mostly I just don't get it. If you're Maori or something I get it. Othewise, not so much.

I do know, like, and respect folks who've gotten tatoos for one reason or another. But I still don't get it.

Grant McLean
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
i am old and i guess old fashion. why would one want to deface the body that the good lord gav'em?

AMEN!!!!!!

and don't put any bumper stickers on your serotta either...

-Grant

William
07-08-2005, 04:58 AM

1 deface

deface a building facade, for example
Category Tree:
change; alter; modify
╚damage
╚mutilate; mangle; cut_up
╚deface
2 deface, disfigure, blemish

mar or spoil the appearance of; "scars defaced her cheeks"; "The vandals disfigured the statue"
Category Tree:
change; alter; modify
╚damage
╚mar; impair; spoil; deflower; vitiate
╚deface, disfigure, blemish
╚scar; mark; pock; pit
╚maul; mangle

William :rolleyes:

grinder
07-08-2005, 07:05 AM
In the old days tattoos were put on to signify something dear to your heart. Hence all the heart tattoos with girlfriend names in them. They were also put on to signify an important event in your life that you will never forget. Hence the all the military tattoos. Today, they are put on to make a statement to other people about yourself. Most of them are put on to somehow alter other peoples perception of you. They have become human bumper stickers. In fact, I'm thinking of getting one that says: "This body climbed mount Washington". I can't wait to see the faces of the other riders at the next race. They'll undoubtly know they are messin with a bonafide velo madman. Personally, I would never get a tattoo. I'm into cycling but I don't need a tattoo to remind me of it. The lactic acid buildup in my legs is doing a fine job of letting me know I ride. I would say if you do get one - be original. Don't go for the obligatory barbed wire around your bicep. If you're into cycling, the perfect tattoo would be a permanent grease mark about halfway up your calf. People would look at you and say "man you need to degrease your chain". Using this approach will let everyone know you are into cycling and also constantly remind yourself to keep your chain clean.

97CSI
07-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Was giving some thought to having the Campy shield on my right ankle/calf. But walked into a bar my brother frequents on my Colorado trip last week and the owner walked in. She is a most attractive mid-30s women I've meet a few times. She had just had a tattoo applied that started on her lower neck and went over her shoulder and down her left arm. Lots of reds and green. And she is no longer nearly as attractive as she was. Can't imagine what she will look like in ten years when the tattoo starts to fade. Guess she can wear high collar shirts. IMHO she has destroyed her natural beauty. Obviously, I'm too old for a tattoo.

Fixed
07-08-2005, 03:48 PM
How about branding? I think it hurts.

Ginger
07-09-2005, 12:03 AM
I have too many scars to bother with a tattoo...

Louis: Crash a few more times and you'll come up with a cycling related scar that you can tell a story about.

I've got this one chainring scar on the back of my right leg from a mtb crash down in North Carolina. Looks like a very large cat clawed me...I've got another tattoo (dirty chain ring leaves a real tattoo... it has faded though) on the back of the left leg that was an interesting crash as well...

fkelly
07-09-2005, 09:20 AM
For a long time I've been thinking of getting a chair ring mark tattooed onto my right leg, the calf part right where I usually have a mark from my chain ring anyway. Half the time when I shower after a ride I don't get the "natural" chain ring mark off anyway or at least not completely and it looks ugly and people comment so with a chain ring mark tattoo there no one could tell whether I had a tattoo or a real chain ring mark and I wouldn't have to worry in the shower.

Makes sense, no?

dirtdigger88
07-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Cat 5 Tattoo- :D

Jason