PDA

View Full Version : Component Group Survey

branflakes
08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
i did a search and came up with no results....

i am curious if there is a survey out there about what brand component group your primary bike is. i know there will be a lot of interpretations to that, but i would just love to see the statistics of brand loyalties, preferences, etc. so, if you're interested take it. if you're not, pass.

per the FAQ's:
"Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully!"

and MODs - if this exists somewhere and i couldn't find it please forgive me. set the post ablaze and turn your back on me. if it is worthy i think it could become sticky.

edit:
here's my completely uneducated, baseless guess as to the values we'll see:
1. campagnolo - 18%
2. shimano - 45%
3. sram - 32%
4. vintage - 4%
5. other - 1%

gasman
08-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Either DA, Ultegra or XT

Dave B
08-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I sold my MTB, so any bike I have has Campy on it...the way it should be!

Kontact
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
My nicest bike has SRAM, so that's how I answered. But I have vintage Campy, Mavic and mixed groups on the rest. I've been putting a fair number of miles on a bike with Sachs, DA, Mavic and Cane Creek lately.

thwart
08-08-2011, 10:16 PM
18% Campy... 45% Shimano... ?

There are more Campy fans here than in the cycling community in general, I would guess.

We're a more discriminating group.

rounder
08-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I had always ridden Shimano until about five years ago when I switched to Campy. There were no problems with Shimano, but wanted to see what Campy was like, and there is no way you can gradually switch over. Quality wise, both Shimano and Campy are fine, but I like Campy's history and commitment to bikes. So far, I like Campy...the way it works, the way it looks, the fact that it can be rebuilt, no regrets.

oliver1850
08-08-2011, 10:44 PM
For the poll, I used the bike I like the best, but actually don't ride very much.

I usually ride something I've put together recently.

Ferrous (Fe)
08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Although I have bikes built with both Shimano & Sram I placed my vote in the Shimano category as that's what a majority of bike bikes (Road, MTB, CX) are built with.

branflakes
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM

There are more Campy fans here than in the cycling community in general, I would guess.

true, true. i was painting too broadly.

jeo99
08-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Used Shimano for years. Tried Campy and just could not get my thumbs to shift efficiently. Tried for a year and gave up. I have now tried the Sram stuff and it worked great on the MTB. So I tried the Force/Red stuff on my main roads bikes and love it. No, Sram does not have that solid shifting noise as with Campy but it works great and thats what counts. MHO

:beer:

jr59
08-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Campy for years now.

Because everyone knows it's faster! :fight:

taylorl
08-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Shimano and Sram

witcombusa
08-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Primary bike? :confused:

Almost every bike I ride has a different group of components.
Depending on application, parts are chosen for purpose.

quick count...
4 different Campy groups
10 different Shimano groups
3 different Suntour groups
4 with complete mixes
Misc. Simplex and Stronglight sprinkled in where required, and that's just "road".

Variety is the spice!

steampunk
08-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Campagnolo on 2 bikes.

Lovetoclimb
08-09-2011, 08:46 AM
3 bikes all Campy

AngryScientist
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
3 bikes all Campy

same, three bikes with Campy.

I will add that i had to go cheap on my recently put-together Serotta. I intend to get it repainted and rebuild it with chorus/record in the future, but for the moment it's running veloce shifters/RD. totally impressed. i've got just a click over 1k miles on it at the moment, and the veloce stuff is running just as good as my chorus stuff. shifts perfectly, very smooth. the new hood shape is glorious. the stuff was dirt cheap too. i'm a campy believer, up and down the line.

bobswire
08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
same, three bikes with Campy.

I will add that i had to go cheap on my recently put-together Serotta. I intend to get it repainted and rebuild it with chorus/record in the future, but for the moment it's running veloce shifters/RD. totally impressed. i've got just a click over 1k miles on it at the moment, and the veloce stuff is running just as good as my chorus stuff. shifts perfectly, very smooth. the new hood shape is glorious. the stuff was dirt cheap too. i'm a campy believer, up and down the line.

Another advantage is you can cheap out by running Shimano wheels with 9 speed cassettes. Love it.
I use the new Veloce on a Soma Smoothie running the above combination and Centaur on a Merlin.

atanz
08-09-2011, 08:57 AM
primary is the question here too!
I'd have to say my primary rig is my LOOK with Dura Ace, thus the Shimano vote.

my secondary is my Merckx Corsa Extra which I ride every day-- also with Dura Ace. 7403 that is.

in a close third would be my Spectrum with Campagnolo. I prefer Campy for long rides where I'm mostly positioned in the hoods.

zap
08-09-2011, 09:15 AM
2 Tandems with Campy Record ergo levers and derailleurs.
2 singles as well, one that happens to be a Serotta.

Aaron O
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I have a healthy mix of vintage (depending on the definition), Shimano and Campy...I picked Campy because it's my favorite.

weiwentg
08-09-2011, 09:56 AM

On my usual rides in DC, there are between 1 and 5 other people on Campy. Usually like 10-30 other riders. In my previous group in Ann Arbor, again, there were between 1 and 5 other folks on Campy, but DC has higher income per capita so I'd normally expect more Campy.

DonH
08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Sachs road - Campy
IF road - SRAM
IF cx - Shimano
MTB's - Shimano & SRAM

zap
08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
The DC area is pretty conservative when it comes to style, speed and panache so no surprise.

roguedog
08-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I chose Shimano since my everyday rider /commuter is Shimano but my other two rides are Campy.

Prefer Campy overall tho. I just tried the pre-ergo shifters. I was leery but I'm liking them. :hello:

veloduffer
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Sachs - Campy 9 spd
Kish tourer-cross - Campy 10 spd triple
Ottrott - Campy 10 spd
Parlee - Campy 11 spd
Serotta Concours cross - Shimano 10 spd
Trek EX 8 - Shimano

I like Shimano and have used DuraAce, Ultegra and 105 in the past. I just prefer the ergonomics of Campy's hoods. I tried SRAM on my friend's bike and demo bikes but the double-click doesn't "click" with me. :beer:

Louis
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Just to cover the next similar survey: I only ride CF. Steel is old-fashioned and heavy.

Fishbike
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
7 Shimano
2 SRAM
4 Campy
1 Suntour

As someone said, variety is the spice of life. I tend to prefer whatever I am riding at any given moment. :hello:

weiwentg
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
The DC area is pretty conservative when it comes to style, speed and panache so no surprise.

So's Campy.

dekindy
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't know anything as I thought that Shimano would be the dominant group by a wide margin; not as much of a difference as the general market, but still the overwhelming favorite.

Dlevy05
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow, astonishing results. I didn't expect to see shimano so far ahead of sram and campy so far ahead of them both.

Elefantino
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Campy for years now.

Because everyone knows it's faster! :fight:
And because everyone knows chicks dig Campy!

sg8357
08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
All my bikes are mixed groups.

Kvale, Shimano, Campy, TA
Ebisu, Shimano, Campy, Sugino, Phil
Bates, Cyclo-Benelux, GB, Stronglight, Airlite, Suntour
Wm.J. Hood, Sturmey-Archer, LAM, Geny, Baylis-Wiley, Simplex, Stronglight
Crescent, Shimano, Surly, Euro-Asia

firerescuefin
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
The poll results confirm what I already new. The majority of folks on this forum have good taste and enjoy the finer things. ;)

Signed

Campy user (fo-life yo)

branflakes
08-09-2011, 02:10 PM
All my bikes are mixed groups.

Kvale, Shimano, Campy, TA
Ebisu, Shimano, Campy, Sugino, Phil
Bates, Cyclo-Benelux, GB, Stronglight, Airlite, Suntour
Wm.J. Hood, Sturmey-Archer, LAM, Geny, Baylis-Wiley, Simplex, Stronglight
Crescent, Shimano, Surly, Euro-Asia
then how did you vote? i believe this should be an "other."

the results are enlightening. it's remarkable the dominance of campagnolo. the board must really bring like minded individuals together.

on a separate note, i wonder what the dominant groups is among the other forums out there. i'm betting there is so juicy psychoanalysis to be had.

while another member touched on a similar survey to be had, material, i'd also be interested in learning more about what style of bike people predominantly ride here.

or how few individuals here own a Trek. ;)

FixedNotBroken
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
The poll results confirm what I already new. The majority of folks on this forum have good taste and enjoy the finer things. ;)

Signed

Campy user (fo-life yo)

Haha +1, homie.

3 bikes in the stable..all with Campy :)

wc1934
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Campag for me - So reliable and I love the way it looks.

merckx
08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I've been happy with Campag.

FixedNotBroken
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
I've been happy with Campag.

You better be Eddy :)

endosch2
08-10-2011, 07:28 AM
I dont think this group really represents the "norm" of cyclists. This forum is composed of a pretty small slice of regular cyclists. I think that the universe is much more shimano / sram weighted than the sample you get here.

A lot of people on this forum seem concerned with getting the whole package "right" from a "name", "look" and "esthetic" perspective vs other forums where it is about riding, racing, fitness, etc.

I do ride campy on all my bikes but I dont worry about being authentic in any way to some metaphysical allure of having the right look and feel. I just ride it because I had a campy bike 6 years ago that I parted out and it led on to two other nicer bikes with campy.

I am not being critical, it is human nature to buy on pure emotion and then try to justify your purchase with a rational argument.

thwart
08-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I dont think this group really represents the "norm" of cyclists. This forum is composed of a pretty small slice of regular cyclists. I think that the universe is much more shimano / sram weighted than the sample you get here.No doubt. OEM stuff is always going to lead any survey of the cycling population in total.

Elefantino
08-10-2011, 07:45 AM
I dont think this group really represents the "norm" of cyclists.
http://static2.dmcdn.net/static/video/058/518/29815850:jpeg_preview_large.jpg?20110322052706

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [to Igor] Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?
Igor: [pause, then] No.
Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?
Igor: Then you won't be angry?
Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby... Normal.
Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Seramount
08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Shimano.

DA 8 on one bike and U 10 on the other.

A1CKot
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
A lot of people on this forum seem concerned with getting the whole package "right" from a "name", "look" and "esthetic" perspective vs other forums where it is about riding, racing, fitness, etc.

I think other forums focus more on how light they can make their bike for as cheap as possible or which manufacture makes the newest bestest thing. This forum is indeed a rare place that appreciates cycling for everything it has to offer.

Saying that I have a Waterford R33 and a Serotta Ottrott with Campy and a Seven that will be built up with Sram, flat bar cross bike, for now.

Johnny P
08-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Two bikes. Both campy.

biker72
08-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I dont think this group really represents the "norm" of cyclists. This forum is composed of a pretty small slice of regular cyclists. I think that the universe is much more shimano / sram weighted than the sample you get here.

Agreed.
Campy is about 1% of the business at the bike shop I work at....mostly on custom frames. As a result not much Campy stuff is stocked.

I had all Shimano till about 2 years ago. Didn't really have any problems. Now I have 2 bikes both 100% Campagnolo. Still don't have any problems.. :)

William
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Shimano, because I have Man hands! :p

William

branflakes
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Agreed.
I had all Shimano till about 2 years ago. Didn't really have any problems. Now I have 2 bikes both 100% Campagnolo. Still don't have any problems.. :)
that's also a testament to the evolution of modern materials and manufacturing processes. with minimal preventative maintenance you can minimize the opportunity for problems to arise as well.

plus, working in a bike shop i imagine you don't buy junk either, further reducing the likelihood of catastrophic failure.

haneriali
08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
SRAM on the road; Shimano in the dirt.

fourflys
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
recent SRAM converter here... used Campy and it was great, just not anything more special than SRAM or Shimano for me... building up my new Randoish bike with Shimano for 3 reasons... first, I'm using bar ends, second I want to be able to use a 32 cassette, and last I wanted mostly silver components...

I will say I like the hoods on the SRAM the best... at least for my hands... the Campy 11 hoods were nice, but had a long reach... the Campy 10 hoods are awful IMHO...

I find it interesting that Campy is running away with the poll because when you look at the classified, most of the stuff (especially wheels it seems) are SRAM/Shimano stuff...

ultraman6970
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I dont agree that most of the stuff is shimano or sram, in a matter of fact i think that is rare to find people selling shimano or sram stuff in here.

fourflys
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I dont agree that most of the stuff is shimano or sram, in a matter of fact i think that is rare to find people selling shimano or sram stuff in here.

hmm, not sure I'd say rare... there is a bit of Campy stuff on the site right now, but that is pretty recent IMHO...

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Campagnolo
Veloce10 on the Binx beater
Centaur10 on the Ridley CX
Chorus10 on the Binx carbon road
Record10 on the Colnago MXL classic steel
Shimano
XT 9S on the Specialized hardtail
XTR 9S on the Santa Cruz SL full suspension

endosch2
08-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I think other forums focus more on how light they can make their bike for as cheap as possible or which manufacture makes the newest bestest thing. This forum is indeed a rare place that appreciates cycling for everything it has to offer.

Saying that I have a Waterford R33 and a Serotta Ottrott with Campy and a Seven that will be built up with Sram, flat bar cross bike, for now.

I spend time here and on slowtwitch. More and more I look at slowtwitch. There is more salt thrown / diversity of topics / humor (we need a cry like a little biatch thread) on slowtwitch and less about some of the themes you hear here like people talking about chrome components on lugged steel frames, and some of the same topics re-hashed about every two weeks or when the thread drops off the first page.

There are a lot of interesting topics on both forums and some really helpful advice on both. There is the "techno tri-dork" speak on slowtwitch which annoys me there too. That place is a much bigger universe.

John M
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
This poll clearly shows that forum readers here do not represent the general cycling public if Campagnolo is ridden by the majority.

pavel
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
My "primary" bikes, all campy.

72 Motobecane le champion with 8speed record/chorus mix

92 Serotta Colorado TG with older 10sp Centaur

2007 Serotta Coeur d'Acier with 2010 Centaur on record wheels.

3 70's Gitane projects in the pipeline... those are mostly 70s french stuff, mixed with campy.

thinpin
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
All campy on 7 bikes as I liked the hoods and struggle keep up with the tools for campagnolo never mind have 2 sets and all the permutations.

zmudshark
08-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Really, does he take us for idiots?

fourflys
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
permutations.

that's why this group is different from the majority... being 37 years old, I just learned what this word meant in my stats last night... :D

thinpin
08-10-2011, 08:19 PM
that's why this group is different from the majority... being 37 years old, I just learned what this word meant in my stats last night... :D
Stats at 37, what kept you so long ;)

don compton
08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I have all my bikes set up with campy-10. I am kind of stuck. Its not that I don't like Campy, but I hate the incompatibility issue. Oh well, I'll just keep rebuilding my shifters.
Don C.

fourflys
08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Stats at 37, what kept you so long ;)

I decided to go get my degree when the Coast Guard decided to pay me to go and pay for my college... of course I have to give them 4 extra years, but I was planning on staying anyway... ;)

rice rocket
08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
I decided to go get my degree when the Coast Guard decided to pay me to go and pay for my college... of course I have to give them 4 extra years, but I was planning on staying anyway... ;)
Should've joined the (ch)Air Force, could've had a dozen degrees by now. :beer:

henry14
08-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Running Shimano primarily. Want to check out SRAM next.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Should've joined the (ch)Air Force, could've had a dozen degrees by now. :beer:

USAF, flare to land, squat to pee(sorry, interservice rivalry, etc, blah, blah....)

-Phormer USN Phantom Phyler

Louis
08-11-2011, 10:20 AM
-Phormer USN Phantom Phyler

So Peter, where are you in this picture? ;)

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f4/images/d4c-10154.jpg

oldpotatoe
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
So Peter, where are you in this picture? ;)

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f4/images/d4c-10154.jpg

'B' model(USN) and 'C' model(USAF)-flew them both(actually the 'N' model, repainted B)..the 'C' model when on USAF exchange program..learning to be a USAF Instructor Pilot, 31oth TFTS in Luke AFB, then onto Macdill-1978-1980, 61st TFS, 13th TFTS, flew the 'D' model.

J and S model in the USN..great jet.

Don't see any members of the far superior, 'haze gray and underway', service.

The USAF hated it that the F-4 was a USN aircraft first.

merlincustom1
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
1984 Basso Gap-Campagnolo
1999 Merlin Extralight-Campagnolo
2010 Pegoretti Duende fixed-Campagnolo