PDA

View Full Version : Its decided. a Peg Duende; now from whom should I buy?

sjbraun
07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks to all who offered their thoughts on my recent Duende vs Marcelo decision. In the end, I opted for the extra comfort oriented design of the Duende. But now the next decision is whom do I buy from?
There is a new LBS that carries Pegs. They're willing to order one in my size after their next Pegoretti sale. (As a small shop, I imagine they have limited cash available to tie up in inventory.) But while I try to always buy from local merchants, I'm a little concerned that they don't have much experience with Pegorettis or Gita. I want a few custom changes (a pump peg and a variation of the Faema paint scheme.) I'm thinking that one of the bigger Pegoretti dealers will be more versed in the special order process and hence might serve me better. Would those of you who have purchased Pegorettis care to comment on your buying experience and maybe recommend a shop?

My paint plans are leaning toward the Faema scheme with the primary color a dark blue, the panels the light blue seen on the the Luigino in this year's catalog and the Pegoretti name in burgundy. Oh, and while were on paint, does anyone know if Dario (or his bro,) paint forks to match frames? Most of the pics in Pegoretti galleries show unpainted Reynold forks.

Thanks for your assistance and thanks too, to Serotta for this great forum.

Steve

Dr. Doofus
07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
get thee to a jerk

RichMc
07-07-2005, 02:07 AM
I think it's great that you have a local shop, albeit a small one, that deals with Pegoretti. Since you want some custom work done why don't you just pay up front for the bike, or at least half up front? That way they don't have to deal with the flooring cost of the bike. If they don't want to deal with custom stuff then maybe you should contact Brendon at Competitive Cyclist. He does custom bikes all the time.

Climb01742
07-07-2005, 03:40 AM
you have a bit of a tough choice. supporting a local shop is always good. but experience is good too. both senor jerk and brendan at competitive cyclist are very good guys and very experienced with pegs. which ever way you end up going, be ready to be patient. dario moves at his own pace. it is very worth the wait, but wait you shall. good luck. the faema paint scheme looks great. my marcelo is painted that way and i couldn't be happier with it.

Too Tall
07-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Red Lantern Cycles and Forum member Matt Barkley sells alot of Pegs. and did an awesome job designing Queen's new CCKMP.

Smiley
07-07-2005, 06:49 AM
my guess is your guy wants to make a lump order with a few more frames to get a better deal , otherwise why would he ask you to wait ? Support the local shop if you can otherwise I would be tempted to deal with the Jerk , well cause he's Da Jerk after all . Besides if you deal with an out of state shop you should pay NO SALES taxes , that might make it worth your while .

amg
07-07-2005, 07:54 AM
I second Matt Barkley of Red Lantern Cycles. Matt is a knowlegable and experienced rider who had ridden and raced on numerous Pegoretti's and understands the brand very well. He has been a Pegoretti dealer from the very begining. Matt is a great guy to work with and he should be on your short list of dealers to buy a Pegoretti from.

Saluti,

Antonio :beer:

PS: I recently ordered my 8:30am frameset through Matt at Red Lantern Cycles. I ordered a custom paint scheme (Bice in white) and I had the option to paint the forrk to match as well, but opted not to. Matt has done a lot of custom Pegoretti's for customers and will gladly walk you through the process of ordering a custom Pegoretti.

davep
07-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Although I have never bought a Peg from Competitive Cyclist, I have dealt with them a number of times for components and parts, and would have complete confidence in ordering a custom from them. Top notch service.

And if he wanted to get the bike from the Jerk - how would he do that? No one knows who the Jerk is :)

cpg
07-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. You want a pump peg and a different paint scheme. As long as the LBS has someone to that's capable of writing these very simple instructions legibly where's the needed expertise? You're ordering a stock bike with two minor changes. It shouldn't be a problem unless the LBS in completely incompetant. As far as the shop not having the loot to order, why not put a deposit down for the frame so they don't have any cash problems? I'm not trying to cut anybody out of the loop but this doesn't seem to me to be a complicated transaction.

Curt

Idris Icabod
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM
It sounds like the local shop has already been pretty accomodating to you. I think you should deal with them, after all the custom job you want isn't rocket science after all. I know the local shop that you are talking about in Tucson. I have bought some stuff there since they opened and their prices seem competitive especially compared to the other local shops, they know they need to match dealers like Excel etc. It sound like you aren't shopping around for the best price, just the best service. I think these guys know that their market is going to be a small group of local high end bicycle riders in Tucson, so I have the feeling that they will do what is neccesary to make you happy. I will look out for you on the roads of Tucson, I have been lusting after a Pegoretti since I saw them in the shop. Good luck with the purchase!