PDA

View Full Version : The Children Made it Okay

giverdada
08-08-2011, 08:33 AM
just a little glass in their hair and car seats, and that was the detail that sent me into a blind rage after being in a crap traffic situation and getting rear-ended by a massive dodge pickup. these things happen. the girls are totally fine. i wish i could have protected them from it or reacted faster or whatever, but i couldn't. my family is fine. the little girls just ate some snack and then transferred to other family cars and we all made our way home a workday length of time later. and now for the insurance saga. :rolleyes:

one Felt FW1 48cm with Sram Force and Zipp 303s.
one Serotta Legend Ti with Campy Veloce.
one Felt Sr something/r/other with Campy frankengroup and handbuilts.
one Saris Bones 3 that, along with the Felt FW1, protected the car and the girls and only smashed the rear windshield and is the badassest rack ever.
one perfectly fine family with a minor material setback on a hot day in august.

sh*t.

nick.

bumknees
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear, but I'm glad you're all okay. RIP to the bikes...

rugbysecondrow
08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Glad you and yours are safe, you can replace everything else.

Paul

roguedog
08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
what rugby said.

the important stuff is fine, thankfully!

FlashUNC
08-08-2011, 10:08 AM
+1. Its all just stuff. You can get different stuff.

konstantkarma
08-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank Heavens everyone is fine. Now go after the bonehead who rear ended you! :crap:

giverdada
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
honestly, the first thought that went through my head as the rack went through the rear window was: don't hurt the girls!!!

i love bikes and all, but there's no comparison between a bunch of stuff, and the most important beings in the world to me. 6- and 3-year-old packages of feisty little perfection, and all my wishes are that i could have kept them safer. bikes? what bikes? the girls are okay, and that's the only big deal, really. i'm glad to hear from you all and your similar priorities.

timto
08-08-2011, 10:52 AM
the family is well. Traffic is scary - so much at stake!

giverdada
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
after many incarnations and save-moves and whatnot, i believe its journey has come to an end.

safe riding and driving to you all.

dave thompson
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
after many incarnations and save-moves and whatnot, i believe its journey has come to an end.

safe riding and driving to you all.
It died defending you. :)

Glad all is well with you and yours. Bless the daughters.

tv_vt
08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Sucks. Sorry to hear about your bad day. There are times when I'm glad I don't carry a firearm in the car. This could've been one of them.

Glad the important things are ok.

AngryScientist
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
i'll add to the sentiment that i'm glad everyone came out unharmed, i imagine the little ones were a little freaked out though huh?

it sounds like the car acted as it should in a relatively minor collision, it hurts to lose an old friend (bikes), but they can be replaced, hopefully on the other guys dime. its really a testament to how well cars and restraints, both adult and child are designed now-a-days. i imagine getting rear ended by a truck in the old days of lap belts only (that no one wore anyway) could have ended much worse.

i do think that as gas gets more and more pricey, the number of people willing/able to drive around in large trucks without having the real need for them is going to go down, which should reduce the damage done in impact accidents, less momentum transfer.

good to hear that you seem like a very calm, logical person, happy to have the family intact, everything else will follow.

:beer:

Pete Serotta
08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
The rest of the stuff can be replaced. The girls can not.

THAT IS ALL THAT COUNTS ~~~~They are with you and all is ok.

Glad to hear that. PETE

John M
08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Whoa! Glad everyone is fine. In my line of work (pediatric critical care), I see often children who are not OK. Best wishes for you and your family in moving forward after this.

Don't let the offending driver's insurance company try to minimize the value of anything, as they may try to do.

flydhest
08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Hug your girls.

cdn_bacon
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Glad humans remained unscathed :)

Sorry for your pedalling loss though.

learningtoride
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
After my red light runner last weekend I didn't even get to the hospital myself until I had found my pup. I had one wreck that my youngest was involved in with me- the horror of that feeling is... well, I just wanted to add that although you have spent many a dime on your wheels and their parts- the part of you that lives in your girls is ALL that matters. I am sorry this has happened to you. I am happy your family bond is restrengthened in the relief of it. I know I'm a newb here but I am sure your family will be in all our thoughts!

ultraman6970
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
The other guy gonna have to sell the truck to pay for the bikes, in a matter of fact probably the damage in the car is minimum compared with the bikes?

SteveFrench
08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Perhaps the serotta can be fixed?

tuxbailey
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Glad you and the family are okay.

You need to get another Serotta :)

giverdada
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
my wife and i are crediting our relatively unscathed car body (not much of note other than a couple scratches and dents besides the smashed rear windshield) to the sacrifice of her frame first, then my cross frame, then the anchor, the serotta. upon further inspection, my cross bike is fully dented in the seat tube and maybe downtube swelling, and the awesome colnago steel fork (that i had just jumped through a bunch of hoops to get on the serotta to get the serotta back on the road) is cracked right through the crown. jack and jill... man oh man. so yeah, the kids are fine. this no fault insurance business is like presidential primaries where it's all just a recipe for infighting disaster, and i end up arguing with the company to whom we pay our monthly premiums. ***. i'm hoping to become a pain in the ass for the insurance company, and go to court if we have to (not as regular here in canada, it seems, but may be necessary), in order to make it right. my wife's bike was her pride and joy and essentially perfect. my bikes were works of honest love and sweat and a whole lot of joy as well. the serotta is what got me onto this forum in the first place. if a dodge pickup can smash ten grand worth of bikes and traumatize my children in a second, there must be some kind of something to make it right. at least the girls' bikes weren't on there too...

djg
08-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Very glad to read that the kids -- and everybody -- came out of it fine.

They could take all of my bikes forever, and everything else too, if I knew that my children would be well.