PDA

View Full Version : Road Shoe Questions

beungood
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I am new to biking and really getting hooked(just ask E-bay) and have the SPD pedals. I initially bought a pair of cycling shoes(Specialized Taho size 43) that were lower in cost and could be used for MTB and road. I get tingling sensation in the balls of my feet. I am riding from 18 to about 35 miles as much as I can 3 times a week min.

I tried on a pair of 43 Specialized Road comp shoes and they fit like they were designed for my feet. Price is aroun $100. How much differance is there going up to the Specialized Carbon Comp (I think extra 50 or 75). I kind of budgeted $100.00 for road shoes.

Is it worth the extra $$ for the carbon and stiffness at this stage of the game for me? Will I be able to realize the extra gain over the cheaper shoes while im still learning and tuning myself to ride more efficiently?

JohnS
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
If they fit good, get the $100 shoes and get good socks with the difference in price.

dirtdigger88
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
a lot of non racers think the carbon soles are too stiff- the suck to walk in worse that normal road shoes-

Jason

scottcw
07-06-2005, 06:15 PM
My Specialized carbon comps are still one of the best biking buys that I have ever made.

Spinsistah
07-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I have Sidi Genius 4 road shoes, just ordered a pair of 5's, they have never given me any problems at all, and they don't have carbon soles. Very, very comfortable.

William
07-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Bro,

Go with the road comps. Spend the extra $$ on something else....bike related of course. :D HA ha ha ha ha ha....I hear you cursing me for getting you hooked on cycling.....Ha ha ha ha ha ..... :D

William ;)

geezohwiz
07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
My Specialized carbon comps are still one of the best biking buys that I have ever made.

Agreed.

After researching and hearing so much positive feedback about them, I waited almost 6 months for my size to be in stock (48 Euro) at my LBS. I'm glad I waited...they are the most comfortable road shoes I have owned, and my feet don't take kindly to just any old shoe.

No road shoe is going to be good for walking, but then again, they're not made for walking!

trashycat
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi, I read your note about the tingling sensation in the ball of the feet. I am a cyclist and a certified pedorthist ( I work with feet all day, making orthotics). One suggestion I have is to get a pair of custom footbeds for your cycling shoes with a metatarsal pad to accommodate that area of the foot giving you the problem. We make them at Foot Dynamics. I always suggest also to make sure you wiggle your toes every once in a while during your ride and make sure the socks aren't bunched up. A good shoe fit of course is crucial as well.

beungood
07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
<<Go with the road comps. Spend the extra $$ on something else....bike related of course. HA ha ha ha ha ha....I hear you cursing me for getting you hooked on cycling.....Ha ha ha ha ha ..... >>>

I think everyone's comments were a big help, I think I will go with the Road Comps and put any more money spent on bike stuff. I Also think William is in cohoots with E-Bay.... :argue:

William
07-07-2005, 04:37 PM
.... I Also think William is in cohoots with E-Bay.... :argue:

Your "Buy It Now" price for getting out of Heidens tomorrow just jumped up by $500. :p

William ;)

beungood
07-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by beungood
.... I Also think William is in cohoots with E-Bay....

Your "Buy It Now" price for getting out of Heidens tomorrow just jumped up by $500.

William

Where is that retraction button...... :crap:

beungood
08-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Well I took William's and everyone elses advice and ordered the Specialized Comp Roads. I Love them. I initially had some trouble putting on the cleats as they didnt line up well, but after a quick adjustment I went out for a ride and a couple of nice hillclimbs. You were all right, the $109 shoes worked out great! They feel like they were designed for my feet, and Im hard to fit right in the shoe department. The three strap adjustment mad for a really snug,comfortable fit and I seemed to climb the hills that give me trouble a little easier. I just didnt realize the 5 mph gain in average speed the salesman promised.... :bike:

;-)

Doc Austin
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
The best money I ever spent on cycling equipment were my Sidi Genius shoes.

znfdl
08-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I started to put superfeet footbeds in my sidi mega cycling shoes and these have helped tremendously. I use the green superfeet which are better for people with high arches and retail for about $30.

Doc Hollywood
08-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Those in the know say that riding experience and performance stems mainly from three contact points between you and the bike: Butt, Shoes/Feet, Hands/Arms. Spending money in these areas to make you more comfortable is worth the dollars if you ride a lot and want to be pain free.

Shoe fit and comfort is essential. Since you said you have "Tingling Sensation" in your feet, that could be from a whole host of problems, some of which have absolutely nothing to do with the feet. Sciatica being one example, although Sciatica usually manifests itself as a burning feel down the back of the leg to the top of the foot.

Carbon fiber soles won't really add much to your performance or make the shoes fit better. Typically C-fiber soles add a little more shoe stiffness and reduced weight.

So my two cents is too stick with the non-carbon comp shoes and save your money and look for the real reason of the tingly feet. Shoe inserts may help or cleat placement.

Doc

Dekonick
08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Orthotics or custom shoes with orthotics - makes a HUGE difference. You can use a flex spending account to buy em too!

William
08-09-2005, 05:47 AM
I have seen Beungoods new shoes and deem them non-Gay-vague. Cool color combo and he likes them. ;)

Good points Doc. :beer:

William