PDA

View Full Version : places to train in/near SF?

jabbahop
08-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I have to stay in SF for 10 day and want to train a few days for the upcoming GMSR. I know I can drive down to the pennisula and ride but wondering if there are places closer to the city - maybe marin?

thanks

eddief
08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
i did not do it, but hundreds did. yes, marin is cycling mecca/heaven.

check the century maps to get some ideas:

http://www.marincyclists.com/marincentury.com

Gshock
08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
lots of options once you get over the GG bridge and ride through sausalito. Weather in SF can be tough this time of year with lots of wet fog in the morning and/or evening. ONce you hit sausalito it's usually nice and warm. what's the GMSR?

jabbahop
08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
lots of options once you get over the GG bridge and ride through sausalito. Weather in SF can be tough this time of year with lots of wet fog in the morning and/or evening. ONce you hit sausalito it's usually nice and warm. what's the GMSR?

Sorry the GMSR = Green Mountain Stage Race.

forrestw
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I was out there in Dec and simply rode across town to the GG and out through Sausalito. The presidio road was a little hairy, I preferred getting to the GG from the west. And of course just riding around the city offers great hill repeats :-).

Jellybird3
08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
North of the Golden Gate is where I do 90% of my riding - it's beautiful and, depending on where you go, the roads are of decent quality. I would be happy to send you a few routes that I've posted on Strava.com.

sean
08-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Just put on your patience cap when going across the GG. The west sidewalk is close so peds and cyclists share one sidewalk. It's tourist season, so it can get messy.

jerome
08-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Don't miss Mt Diablo if you want a serious climb starting from Berkeley or Walnut Creek - you can take the Bart.

Berkeley area is awesome - great climbs : Canyon Road, Skyline, Tunnel road, LaFayette

On the GG side: head to FairFax from there do Alpin climb to the lake and next to the top of the hills a bow the ocean can get down to Stinson Beach up by Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline

Also Inacio lake, Point Reeves great rides.

Enjoy