PDA

View Full Version : speedplay zero wear, oldpotatoe, step inside please

AngryScientist
08-06-2011, 08:07 AM
hi all, a day or two ago there was a thread about steel spindle speedplay zero wear. i'm a longtime user, and ALL of the steel spindle zero's look about like this. obviously when not in use, the part where the paint wears off starts to rust, anyone have a guess as to whats causing the rubbing?

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Nutley-20110805-00105.jpg

oldpotatoe
08-06-2011, 08:10 AM
hi all, a day or two ago there was a thread about steel spindle speedplay zero wear. i'm a longtime user, and ALL of the steel spindle zero's look about like this. obviously when not in use, the part where the paint wears off starts to rust, anyone have a guess as to whats causing the rubbing?

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Nutley-20110805-00105.jpg

Gotta be how your cleat is mounted onto the shoe. I have no shoe to pedal rub. Gotta a pic of the bottom of the shoe?

Perhaps a Time type 4 bolt shoe w/o the 3 bolt plate on first?

AngryScientist
08-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Gotta be how your cleat is mounted onto the shoe. I have no shoe to pedal rub. Gotta a pic of the bottom of the shoe?

Perhaps a Time type 4 bolt shoe w/o the 3 bolt plate on first?

so your spindles dont have the paint rubbed off like mine do? that's interesting, mine have a few thousand miles on them. this doesnt usually happen in the first thousand miles or so, but after the puck has some noticeable wear, which i assumes casused a little rocking play.

i'll grab a shoe pic tonight, but they are specialized carbon soled shoes, for what that's worth.

anyone else chime in as to if this happens to them, or is it just me?

oldpotatoe
08-06-2011, 08:17 AM
so your spindles dont have the paint rubbed off like mine do? that's interesting, mine have a few thousand miles on them. this doesnt usually happen in the first thousand miles or so, but after the puck has some noticeable wear, which i assumes casused a little rocking play.

i'll grab a shoe pic tonight, but they are specialized carbon soled shoes, for what that's worth.

anyone else chime in as to if this happens to them, or is it just me?

My shoe is a long way away from the spindle when clipped in(well above it). Not even close. Sidis, Zeros. I also have the shoe adjusted so it is at the maximum distance away from the crank, farthest outboard altho I don't think that would matter. My Waterford pedal on the left side is pretty sloppy, rocking around. I always clip outta that one but still no shoe rub on the spindle.

AngryScientist
08-06-2011, 08:20 AM
My shoe is a long way away from the spindle when clipped in(well above it). Not even close. Sidis, Zeros. I also have the shoe adjusted so it is at the maximum distance away from the crank, farthest outboard altho I don't think that would matter. My Waterford pedal on the left side is pretty sloppy, rocking around. I always clip outta that one but still no shoe rub on the spindle.

really odd, when i go outside later i'll clip my shoe in and look at it, see what the clearance is like, never did that before. i have to imagine you're doing it "right" and something is messed up with my set-up.

all of this is just a very minor annoyance though, i love the pedals, and have stainless or ti on my other bikes, where this is not an issue.

i'll report back later - thanks for the help Pete.

bike22
08-06-2011, 09:50 AM
your sole is wearing off the paint on the spindle.

bobswire
08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Could just be from clipping in if you don't hit the sweet spot at initial contact.
Wouldn't take much for cleats to wear through paint on direct contact before clipping in.