PDA

View Full Version : My First Rides on a Serotta

Peter P.
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
About a month ago I posted that a friend of mine suffered a heart attack and died while riding his Serotta. His widow asked me to sell the bike for him. In the process, I decided to take the bike out for a couple rides to ensure it rode straight and to address any problems that wouldn't cost me cash. I put my pedals and saddle on the bike and was able to gather about 40 miles worth of test riding. Fortunately, the bike was a close enough fit that it did not detract from my experience.

This bike was a 2001 TIG'd Colorado III with a custom geometry. The owner had about 35lbs. on me as well. I gotta tell you; this bike was a pleasure to ride. For one thing, the oversized, flared tubing did not make for a harsh riding bike. And if the tubes were selected for a heavier rider than me, I couldn't tell. This thing just felt supple and light over bumps and chattery pavement. I kept wondering how Serotta could pull this off. But stomp on it and the bike felt efficient, like I didn't have to worry about wasting any input to the pedals.

My other area of interest is steering. I raced Cat. 3 or 11 years but never cared for a racing geometry front end. MY racing bike has a 73 degree head angle and 45mm of rake; just too light on the hands and demanding of my attention. I could ride it just fine but prefer something a little more calm. The Serotta is wonderful. While I couldn't get the spec sheet for the frame, I measured the front end myself and found the rake stickered on the Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, 72.5/50mm. The bike was a touch more composed but not a problem to steer, and the higher the speed the more the bike took over and held its line. Golly; it was a grin to ride this bike.

Last was the lower-than-I'm-used-to bottom bracket. Yes; you could feel the Colorado III not mind diving into corners with a low center of gravity that gave you just that bit more of roly-poly effect where the bike would straighten right up exiting the corner almost by itself.

There's no question in my mind the bike suited the original owner's skill and riding style perfectly, yet it also satisfied me. After riding this Colorado III, even though it's 10 years old, I've no doubt Serotta knows what they're doing when it comes to building bikes.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/6012558481_1a61aede12_z.jpg

In the photo above the seat and stem height are not set for either myself or the original owner, just at maximum for illiustration.

Ken Robb
08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
so give the widow your check and enjoy life. :banana:

forrestw
08-05-2011, 07:31 PM
how odd, you could be describing my bike / riding experience :-)

Vientomas
08-05-2011, 07:59 PM
so give the widow your check and enjoy life. :banana:

+ 1. Ride it.

hookookadoo
08-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I have a 1995 TG and it has been my only bike "love" for 15 years. It is actually too long but I still love it and smile when I hop on. I can, to this day, remember the ride experience when I switched from a lower end bianchi to my TG. Also test rode a litespeed. The Serotta ride was noticeable and the clear winner. I honestly scratch my head on how other Serotta's can ride better. Inside I know the Legend and the Ottrot, as examples, ride a lot better but I am intrigued as to how and by how much. May never know.

fogrider
08-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I first test rode a serotta more than 20 years ago. I really didn't know that much about bikes, I just knew it was responsive and great coming out of a turn. I love the ride of my legend ti and the other bike the rides the similarly: my rock lobster!

thwart
08-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Had the same experience when I owned a 'too small for me' C III. Just an impressive, impressive ride, oozing high quality. Did everything well. Sold me on Serotta.

'Twas a 54, unfortunately, so no longer in the stable.

Johnny P
08-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I bought a used Serotta Ti frame and fork from the forum a few years back. It really is a great riding bike even though it wasn't made for me. I'm very happy with it and plan to keep it forever. Serotta does make very good quality bikes. :)