PDA

View Full Version : Dave Z crash (only a spoiler if you're a day behind!)

Kines
07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Hopefully it's safe to post a "spoiler" on the previous day's stage, or else I'm about to be called a moron....

Anyhoo... the last thread on the subject deteriorated, and I was hoping someone had heard news about the cause of the crash.

Based on what Bob Roll said - even DZ didn't know why it happened - we'll probably never know, other than simply rider error under extreme pressure.

Climb01742
07-06-2005, 12:20 PM
i read it may have been he was tired (as you'd certainly expect) and perhaps his concentration wavered...or his misjudged his line...sounds like it could have been a fatigue-induced lapse of concentration. which, given how hard and fast they were riding, seems only human.

Len J
07-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Hopefully it's safe to post a "spoiler" on the previous day's stage, or else I'm about to be called a moron....

Anyhoo... the last thread on the subject deteriorated, and I was hoping someone had heard news about the cause of the crash.

Based on what Bob Roll said - even DZ didn't know why it happened - we'll probably never know, other than simply rider error under extreme pressure.

That when put together may explain it.

As they came out of the corner, he looked back, a gap opened up and he quickly tried to accelerate.
Various reporters have indicated that he took his left hand off the bars.
As he accelerated, apparently his chain skipped.

All of this together may have caused him to go down.

It certainly looks, in the replay, like his chain is off (although that could have happened in the crash itself).

He says it was a chain skip.......we may never know.

Len

JohnS
07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
They also theorized today that his knee may have nudged his elbow.

CalfeeFly
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
If your sodium levels get low you lose your coordination & balance. It is very easy to fall over and have no idea why. I have the scars and hospital visit because of it.

Kevan
07-06-2005, 02:58 PM
riding towards the finish after the fall looked beaten ta hell. There ain't enuf Ibu to remove that pain.

ClutchCargo
07-06-2005, 03:06 PM
They also theorized today that his knee may have nudged his elbow.

yes. he bumped his low knee. then hurt his high knee. :banana:

scrooge
07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
That when put together may explain it.

As they came out of the corner, he looked back, a gap opened up and he quickly tried to accelerate.
Various reporters have indicated that he took his left hand off the bars.
As he accelerated, apparently his chain skipped.

All of this together may have caused him to go down.

It certainly looks, in the replay, like his chain is off (although that could have happened in the crash itself).

He says it was a chain skip.......we may never know.

Len

I have no idea which it was, but something in me really wants it to be something mechanical, like a skipping chain. I just feel really bad for the guy losing the jersey like that. :bike:

Any opinions on if they would've made up the 2 seconds behind discovery if he hadn't gone down? In other words, did discovery win the Team TT, or did CSC lose it?

Ray
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Any opinions on if they would've made up the 2 seconds behind discovery if he hadn't gone down? In other words, did discovery win the Team TT, or did CSC lose it?
From my position as one who clearly doesn't know, I can't imagine they wouldn't have been at least a second or two faster if he hadn't crashed. Evidently Basso was behind him and had to scramble to get back on after the crash, so the front riders must have had to slow somewhat for that. Not to mention that the knowledge of the crash MUST have taken a bit of wind out of their sails for that last km+. If DZ stays upright, they may have won, may have tied, or may have lost by one second, but I'd be willing to bet he'd still be in yellow regardless, even if only by one second. Regardless, for the team, they kept Basso down to losing only two more seconds to Lance, which had to be their main priority. So, I'm sure the crash and loss hurt morale somewhat, but if they keep their eye on the prize, they can't be upset with the way they rode.

-Ray

PhsychoCyclist
07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
The crash was unfortanate and my heart goes out to Dave Z BUT I think Disco was on their way to winning the time trial.

e-RICHIE
07-06-2005, 05:57 PM
...I think Disco was on their way to winning the time trial.

why?
e-RICHIE©™®

Big Dan
07-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey Psy...can you ask your heart for the Florida Lotto numbers???????????

:bike:

97CSI
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
The crash was unfortanate and my heart goes out to Dave Z BUT I think Disco was on their way to winning the time trial.Guess we'll never know. CSC was 6 seconds up on Disco and only a few kliks to go. But, it was hilly and twisty. Too bad DZ fell. Is all history, now. How about those lotto numbers?