PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Vecchio's

northbend
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I just finished moving my son to Colorado for grad school in Boulder. My reward for driving a U-haul over the Cascade, Blue, Sawtooth, Wasatch, and Rocky mountains was a visit to 'oldpotato's shop: Vecchios in Boulder. What a great shop...reminds me of some of the best elements from my local favorites in the Seattle area but Vecchio's integrated them all into one small shop: Cool bike paraphernalia hanging from the walls and rafters like Elliott Bay Bicycles in Seattle and Classic Cycles on Bainbridge, and Peter's open workshop area behind the cash register like Aaron's Bike Repair in West Seattle where the mechanics can easily work and interact with customers.

Peter, I enjoyed meeting you and thank you for the nice souvenir cap.
When my son brings in his rear wheel for a new rim I hope you build it up with something really beefy - he is very hard on his equipment.

- Matt

oldpotatoe
08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I just finished moving my son to Colorado for grad school in Boulder. My reward for driving a U-haul over the Cascade, Blue, Sawtooth, Wasatch, and Rocky mountains was a visit to 'oldpotato's shop: Vecchios in Boulder. What a great shop...reminds me of some of the best elements from my local favorites in the Seattle area but Vecchio's integrated them all into one small shop: Cool bike paraphernalia hanging from the walls and rafters like Elliott Bay Bicycles in Seattle and Classic Cycles on Bainbridge, and Peter's open workshop area behind the cash register like Aaron's Bike Repair in West Seattle where the mechanics can easily work and interact with customers.

Peter, I enjoyed meeting you and thank you for the nice souvenir cap.
When my son brings in his rear wheel for a new rim I hope you build it up with something really beefy - he is very hard on his equipment.

- Matt

Thanks for the kind words Matt, it was a pleasure to meet you as well. I'll take care of the youngster.

I'd like to say we have had some sort of plan for the 'chaos' here but not really, just want to be a 'bike shop', not a bicycle delivery center, like most others.

Grazie mille.

Karl Lee
08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
That's cool I've wanted to visit that shop but I live on the other side of the country! Hopefully some day. Thanks for the review!

fourflys
08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
ok, where are the pictures??????

old_fat_and_slow
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/catchernrye/jokes/thread_is_worthless.jpg?t=1312562015

Pete Serotta
08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
OLDPOTATOE, I hope will share photos with us here,,,for he is a huge contributor to all on the forum on cycling and on life..

PETE (Oldpotatoe is the better lookin and smartr one)

northbend
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I didn't take any photos but you can get a sense for the shop on his website. If you are ever in the Denver metro area, it well worth the trip out to Boulder to pay him a visit.

http://www.vecchios.com/

Gummee
08-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I've been in. Great place. Great people.

Highly recommended

M

Lovetoclimb
08-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Rented me a delightful Waterford and sent me on the Varsity ride up to Ward , peak to peak highway, Nederland, and back to Boulder over last Thanksgiving holiday. Great shop, great guys, as much as I think more of these would be great, I like that his is so unique.

Keep fighting the good fight Peter.

Pete Serotta
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
I didn't take any photos but you can get a sense for the shop on his website. If you are ever in the Denver metro area, it well worth the trip out to Boulder to pay him a visit.

http://www.vecchios.com/

I have seen his WEB site many times.

Walter
08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I have had the pleasure of cruising through the shop on a visit to Boulder. It is a wonderful step back in time to when all bike shops were gathering places...not just sales portals. Nice people and a great shop.

Bruce K
08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Vecchio's is on the top of my "must stop in" list of shops to visit when I'm in the area.

Unfortunately it isn't going to work out for this trip to Colorado as their "mental health day" is Sunday and that was the only free day for this trip. :crap:

I guess I'll just have to plan a Vecchio's excursion some other time.

Great shop and great folks. :hello:

BK

merlinmurph
08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I just finished moving my son to Colorado for grad school in Boulder. My reward for driving a U-haul over the Cascade, Blue, Sawtooth, Wasatch, and Rocky mountains was a visit to 'oldpotato's shop: Vecchios in Boulder.

Wow, quite the trip. :)

I know how you feel. Years ago on my first and only trip ever to Boulder, I had to stop by Morgul-Bismark because...well, just because. I was on a business trip with others and forced them to stop there. The shop meant absolutely nothing to them, but I just had to hang out for awhile. I'll be sure to hit Vecchio's if I'm there again.

Murph

fmbp
08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I bought a pair of Vecchio's socks when I was in Boulder bumming around 5 years ago. I agree, it's a super cool shop with plenty of lust worthy items hanging around.

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-05-2011, 06:34 PM
"a huge contributor to all on the forum on cycling and on life.."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Peter's shop is a must visit when in CO.

yakstone
08-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Fortunately I work in Boulder and Peter's shop is "all of that".
Great shop, great service; it does not get any better than that.

Fixed
08-05-2011, 07:41 PM
bike Mecca's bike shop
cheers

godfrey1112000
08-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I met Pete, bought the jersey and every where I have ridden with it on people are excited to see it, Colorado, Kansas City, Martha's Vineyard and Arizona, all love it,

the shop is great, they sell no plastic bikes,

I love it

I think I might open a Medical MJ shop next door

Nags&Ducs
08-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I met Pete, bought the jersey and every where I have ridden with it on people are excited to see it, Colorado, Kansas City, Martha's Vineyard and Arizona, all love it,

the shop is great, they sell no plastic bikes,

I love it

I think I might open a Medical MJ shop next door

Ah but he has in the past. Parlee and Look. Not a bad batch of plastic to be hawking. :) even if Pete says "no plastic" now, I wouldn't be surprised if he carried it again sometime in the future.

When I lived in Boulder, it was the my "go to" shop. Drank a lot of beer there (brought them a lot of beer too). There are some really nice shops out there in Boulder/Denver area but no other shop can match the panache of old Pete and his shop IMHO. It's still my favorite shop ever.

oldpotatoe
08-06-2011, 08:02 AM
ok, where are the pictures??????

http://www.vecchios.com

oldpotatoe
08-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Ah but he has in the past. Parlee and Look. Not a bad batch of plastic to be hawking. :) even if Pete says "no plastic" now, I wouldn't be surprised if he carried it again sometime in the future.

When I lived in Boulder, it was the my "go to" shop. Drank a lot of beer there (brought them a lot of beer too). There are some really nice shops out there in Boulder/Denver area but no other shop can match the panache of old Pete and his shop IMHO. It's still my favorite shop ever.

Don't bet on it(carbon). We dropped each carbon for specific reasons, like QC(Calfee), internet sales and pricing issues(Colnago), a certain MO place(LOOK), HUGE price increases(Parlee)...can't swing a dead cyclist w/o hitting a carbon frame. EVERYBODY sells some sort of carbon, few(none) sell all ti and custom steel. We will stick to metal, thanks.

BTW-Just got confirmation of 2 SwissCross frames from Ritchey, look for one in the window in September.

SuperColnago
08-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Canadian living in Australia now, I've been to Vecchios, 3 yrs ago, sweeet store, bought a couple of ice-blue water bottles as a souvenir, very nice!

Wish they had t-shirts, maybe they do now?

Cheers mates! :beer:

oldpotatoe
08-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Canadian living in Australia now, I've been to Vecchios, 3 yrs ago, sweeet store, bought a couple of ice-blue water bottles as a souvenir, very nice!

Wish they had t-shirts, maybe they do now?

Cheers mates! :beer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vecchiosboulder/5388132936/in/set-72157625773302609

In black too..

Bruce K
08-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Leaving CO today without a Vecchio's fix..... :crap:

Saw a couple of jerseys on the Copper triangle ride yesterday and had a nice chat with one guy at a water stop.

I guess I'll just have to get this year's fix on line. :crap: :crap:

Even if it's not open on Sundays it's still it's my favorite shop away from home bar none.

BK

AngryScientist
08-07-2011, 08:07 AM
there is some hot, hot eye candy on that photostream. :beer:

SuperColnago
08-07-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vecchiosboulder/5388132936/in/set-72157625773302609

In black too..

Excellent Ill order one!

cuwinbs
08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
can you order online?