PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone using Solar Power on their house?

bart998
08-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm looking at some of the solar electric systems on the market for my home. I have about 2000 sq. ft. in SoCal. I would be interested if any one on the forum has systems and what companies they used and what their good/bad experiences have been.

toaster
08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Where in SoCal are you?

There are some good companies, usually they've been around many years and have licenses, worker's comp, insurance and install only good stuff and don't do some of the bad lease programs around.

Beware of franchises and panels made offshore or assembled in Mexico.

bart998
08-06-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm in San Dimas... Just starting to get info on this project.

Smiley
08-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Just put a deposit down on a 6.25 KW solar array, install date is Oct 2011. Predicted to save 33% of my utility needs on average. Using American made SunPower panels. Search a thread* I started last week about this subject and you will find plenty of good stuff on there ESPECIALLY from NHAero who sells PV equipment for SunPower. Good luck as my home is about 2400 sq ft and I like u needed to get a handle on my run away utility costs too.

here u go * http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=94227&highlight=sun+power

toaster
08-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I know of a very good compary here and in your area. They are quite reputable and experienced and use only good panels and engineer properly for your home.

sg8357
08-06-2011, 06:24 PM
BITD, we had one of these in the basement.

http://www.downport.com/bard/bard/vera/vera6005.html

Ken Robb
08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Just be sure that your roof is like new if you plan to install solar panels on it because removing/reinstalling them for a roof repair can be pretty expensive.

miguel
08-06-2011, 07:04 PM
im in portland and have talked with steve from sustainable solutions but
he probs won't fly and why would you fly him
coz offset THAT crabon footprint?

also, i live in a <1200sqft house and am thinking about solar
but 30k$$ (even though there are some tax credz) is steep for
me right now.

Ralph
08-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Not exactly what you are asking but.....I have 8 4X8 solar panels on my roof to heat my pool water. Has a thermostat to control when water goes on roof to be heated, and when not.

I get leaks about every 6 months from animals chewing on panels (about $100 to repair), and they were expensive to remove and then replace when I had major roof work. I need to buy a leak repair kit.

I'm a big fan of using solar equipment for anything you can use it for in your area. However....not if it has to go on a roof.

miguel
08-06-2011, 07:16 PM
animals chewing on panels?

where do you live? jurassic park?

Ralph
08-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Although I live in a subdivision of 124 homes, my property backs up to 60 acres of woods....which is connected to thousands of acres of National forest. . Everything lives in there. Fox, deer, occasional bear, squirrels, raccoons, birds, many varieties of snakes, plus everything they feed on. Squirrels and raccoons get on my roof....via my fences.

rwsaunders
08-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Having just come back from a vacation in the Florida Keys, I was surprised that we didn't see a lot of solar panels...electricity must be cheap in that area.

Jason E
08-06-2011, 08:22 PM
The southeast has a great resource, but difficult utilities, low REC pricing, and low costs for power.

bart998
08-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Thanks all for the info and suggestions. I do have a recent roof and think I need about a 4Kw install.

NHAero
08-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Make sure your installer uses a flashing system on the roof penetrations that is designed to not need caulk (which eventually fails) to keep it sealed ( I used one made by Ecofasten). On my install I used stainless steel hanger bolts instead of lag screws for the roof connection so that the bolts would remain in place when the roof is eventually replaced and the PVs come off, making the re-install easier. My guess is that the roof lasts a lot longer with the PVs shading it, too.

toaster
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks all for the info and suggestions. I do have a recent roof and think I need about a 4Kw install.

I can get you more info on this install.

NHAero
08-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Sunpower, the manufacturer we use as our supplier for solar electric equipment, just announced an amazing lease program. My suggestion for anyone contemplating a solar electric system is to at least get a price from a Sunpower dealer. We just priced a 3.8 kW system for a client with a single lump sum lease payment of $9,300. For that they get 20 years guaranteed output and all repairs, and they get the SRECs if their state has 'em.

whforrest
08-20-2011, 11:15 PM
We live in a newer home and have solar, system is sun power and the panels blend in with the roof panels. Electric bill last year was 1150......unbelievable. We live east os Sacramento where it gets really hot in the summer, and with 3 kids probably wasteful with too many lights on, etcp