PDA

View Full Version : Stage 4 ???? Semi-Spoiler-No Results Contained

PhsychoCyclist
07-06-2005, 09:07 AM
What's up with Lance not wearing the Maillot Juene :confused: :confused: Couldn't this be regarded as a dis :confused:

pjm
07-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Just the opposite. Its out of respect for Zabriskie since he lost the yellow as the result of a crash.

Big Dan
07-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Lance is wearing yellow, check the updates.........

Len J
07-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Lance is wearing yellow, check the updates.........

He didn't wear the yellow for the 5K neutral zone. The organizers, stopped the Peleton at the end of the Nuetrl zone and asked lance to wear it. He then put it on.

There is a tradition that the "Inheritor" of the yellow, as a result of an accident does not wear the yellow the next day. Zabel didn't when Boardman fell as well as others.

Len

Big Dan
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
:rolleyes: He didn't wear the yellow for the 5K neutral zone. The organizers, stopped the Peleton at the end of the Nuetrl zone and asked lance to wear it. He then put it on.

There is a tradition that the "Inheritor" of the yellow, as a result of an accident does not wear the yellow the next day. Zabel didn't when Boardman fell as well as others.

Len

Len is he wearing yellow now????

Yes.............that is a fact..........

PhsychoCyclist
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Just read about on cyclingnews.com but I have to disagree with him. Crashes happen, it's part of racing. It didn't bother him at all a couple of years ago when Ulrich went down in the final TT.

O.K. did a little more research, ignore me.

dave thompson
07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Just read about on cyclingnews.com but I have to disagree with him. Crashes happen, it's part of racing. It didn't bother him at all a couple of years ago when Ulrich went down in the final TT.

O.K. did a little more research, ignore me.
Lance didn't get the yellow as a result of Ullrich's crash in the TT. The courtesy is not to wear the yellow unless it was 'earned', not as a result of some misfortune.

e-RICHIE
07-06-2005, 09:41 AM
lemond extended the courtesy to sorensen in
1991 and merckx did the same to his rivals
back in the 70s. there's a history to all this.
e-RICHIE©™®

weisan
07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
merckx did the same to his rivals
back in the 70s. e-RICHIE©™®

Here's a bit of the history...

1971 Tour De France Stage 14
"From Revel to Luchon, took in the Portet d'Aspet, the Col de Mente and the Portillon. Merckx poured on the gas. Ocana had no trouble staying with him.

Near the summit of the Col de Mente, a powerful, violent rainstorm struck. Merckx, knowing that he had no peer in a descent, took off down the dangerous, partially washed out road. Ocana and Cyril Guimard, his companions over the crest of the mountain, were able to descend with him.

Four kilometers down the mountain, Merckx crashed, taking Ocana with him. Merckx fixed his chain and was back riding in a flash.

Not so Ocana. He needed a new wheel. Ocana's team Bic service car parked to take care of him. Zoetemelk came careening down the mountain. He swerved to avoid Ocana's service car and slammed into Ocana instead. Then, Joachim Agostinho came flying down the hill and hit Ocana.

Ocana, in a coma, was taken away in an ambulance.

Ocana later fully recovered, but his Tour was over. Merckx was again in yellow. In deference to Ocana, Merckx refused to wear the Yellow Jersey until the day after."

Quoted from Torelli's History of the Tour de France: the 1970's (http://www.torelli.com/raceinfo/tdf/tdfhistory1970.html)

Also, read Velonews article (http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/news/articles/4537.0.html) on Beloki's crash.

PhsychoCyclist
07-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I didn't know the whole back story. Lance is a student of the tour and does treat it with respect and this proved it. He kept to the tradition, good on him.