PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 202 shudder issues (little help please)

firerescuefin
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Puchased some 202 tubulars on the forum recently. Cleaned em up, glued some new conti's on them....and took em out for a shake down.

Front wheel shudders badly...especially under low speed breaking.

Background.

Wheel is about 1mm out of true...(am going to get them trued and tensioned in the next couple of days)

Running Reynolds blue pads...pads are clean and glaze free...work well with my other wheels.

Wheels are in perfect shape and no irregularities with the braking surface. I have made sure the surface is clean (no residue at all)

Fork is an EC 90 Aero....headset is properly adjusted.

Brakes...Zero G ti...also properly adjusted

Thoughts???

AngryScientist
08-04-2011, 09:09 PM
edit: reading comprehension failure.

i bet it will be fine once you true them up. :beer:

firerescuefin
08-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Just braking....I wanted to ride them today up in the mountains, but couldn't with that issue. Driving me crazy....could 1mm out of true cause this problem?

happycampyer
08-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I would try the Zipp cork pads. I have found that some brake pad formulations can be too grabby with certain wheels. I recently had the same issue (shuddering at low speed) with a set of carbon wheels, and the shuddering went away when I switched to the Zipp pads. Modulation and stopping power are now excellent at all speeds. Note that, according to Reynolds, cork pads aren't good for their wheels and will void their warranty, so if your other wheels are Reynolds I would be careful to switch back to the Reynolds pads when you switch wheels.

firerescuefin
08-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I would try the Zipp cork pads. I have found that some brake pad formulations can be too grabby with certain wheels. I recently had the same issue (shuddering at low speed) with a set of carbon wheels, and the shuddering went away when I switched to the Zipp pads. Modulation and stopping power are now excellent at all speeds. Note that, according to Reynolds, cork pads aren't good for their wheels and will void their warranty, so if your other wheels are Reynolds I would be careful to switch back to the Reynolds pads when you switch wheels.

Had considered this as the reynolds blues are a pretty soft compound...which is great on the reynolds and eastons I have (and had eliminated squeal)...but may be a little grabby. I have some Swissstop yellows I can throw on there which Zipp "approves" of on their site....thanks for the input

happycampyer
08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
The SwissStop's will likely be better than the Reynolds pads, but for Zipp wheels I prefer the Zipp cork pads over the SwissStop's. Not only is the braking better imo, but you don't end up with yellow streaks on the rims...

regularguy412
08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Had EXACT same problem with my NEW EC90 SL's. I discovered, basically, two problems.

#1 -- My old brake calipers had play in the pivots. Purchased new Ultegra SL calipers and using same Swiss Stop yellow pads. No more low speed shudder.

I switched out my wheels and brake pads for a time after that.

#2 -- When I put things back, I failed to get the pads PRECISELY aligned / parallel to the circumference of the rim. They were not touching the tire, but one end of the pad/holder unit was slightly pointed up (or down) relative to the rim curvature. I subsequently made sure that the pads were absolutely in the correct position and no more shudder.

MIke in AR:beer:

firerescuefin
08-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike thanks for the input

mtb_frk
08-05-2011, 12:00 PM
What did you use to clean the the break surface, just wondering because I have some to clean yet.

basso1
08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Love these wheels. Same problem. Solved with Zipp cork pads. Expensive but worth it. I was using Swiss Stop yellow. Seems like all pads but the cork leave a residue that causes the brake grabbing issue. The cork pads will scrub the residue off after a few long hard braking descents.

firerescuefin
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Love these wheels. Same problem. Solved with Zipp cork pads. Expensive but worth it. I was using Swiss Stop yellow. Seems like all pads but the cork leave a residue that causes the brake grabbing issue. The cork pads will scrub the residue off after a few long hard braking descents.

Basso...are you using the Tangente (Zipp) pads? I was going to order some, but at 80 a pair, was looking for a little feedback.

Thanks,

Geoff

MTBfrk...didn't see your earlier post. I used acetone. Obviously you don't want it leaking into the tire wheel interface, but if your careful, it works well.

bicycletricycle
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
rim trueness will not cause this.

TAW
08-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I have some Zipp 303's and I use Swiss Stops and have had this problem. As another poster mentioned, mine was solved by realigning the brake pad. Mine was a little high on the rim. :)

basso1
08-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Yes, the Cork Tangente brake pads. They wear very well and keep the carbon clean. Expensive but nothing to the cost of the wheels nor a stay in hospital.

firerescuefin
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes, the Cork Tangente brake pads. They wear very well and keep the carbon clean. Expensive but nothing to the cost of the wheels nor a stay in hospital.

Thanks, called Zipp and talked to one of their tech guys and stopped by the LBS and dropped the 75. Thanks to you and HappyC for the replies and Tangente recommendation. For future reference, they said the Tangente compound is good for current or previous gen zipp carbon rims.

Clay
08-11-2011, 08:45 AM
ZIPP recommends the Bontrager cork pads too. Might save a little coin. I didn't read closely, but the shuddering usually is caused by not toeing the pads. Toe them in just ever so slightly.