PDA

View Full Version : help with bike fit: dbrk and others??

bags27
02-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Surly fixie (the Steamroller): actually, I had my LBS convert my Lemond Zurich (which I never ride anymore) into a fixie and within a few minutes the do-hickie that kept the chain tight shattered, bending the drop and almost taking out my wheel. Haven't brought it back to him yet, but I like him and don't want to revist it. I figure I have to go with what's natural since the Zurich required too many compromises. I'll see how much I can take off the Zurich (wheels, seat, brake) and put on the Surly. Guess I'd need a new BB, stem and bars.

I have a Rambouillet size 58 which fits fine: 'course that's a relaxed geometry (72 degrees). The Surly has 73.5 head and seat tube angles in the 56.8 TT, and 74 degrees in the 58.7:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surlysteamroller.html
Would the 59 be too large? Probably the 56.8 is the way to go, huh? Would having a quill stem give me enough play on the 59?
thanks to anyone who responds.

dbrk
02-10-2004, 09:04 PM
It depends what you want but if you fit the 58 Rambouillet comfortably and have just a bit of standover, then I'd get the larger Surly. Sizing up is never much an issue for me. The steeper angles will effectively shorten the toptube but not by much, so it's almost a wash for the difference in reach. If you get the smaller frame you will indeed create more saddle to bar drop. Is that what you want? That's about the only thing I'd be asking...the rest are just minor movement back and forth (seat, pedal/knee, etc., all easily accomodated).

dbrk

bags27
02-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks for replying so quickly, dbrk. No, I don't want much saddle to bar drop: they're about level for me now. And there's easily enough standover on my Ramby. Sounds like I need to have the courage to size up, huh?

If you have the time and patience (I'm conceptually challenged), could you explain why "the steeper angles will effectively shorten the toptube"?

thanks much.