PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tuscon Real Estate Suggestions

pjmsj21
08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
My wife and I are considering Tuscon as a warm weather retreat from the Northwest for some of the winter months and are considering Tuscon.

We are ideally looking for a smaller home or possibly a townhome but something that still has a yard for our dog. We are not into gated communities or golf courses and would like something perhaps not in the center of town but still close to some of the amenities of the city. Cycling would be a big part of the move so an area provides good access to riding. Good schools would be important not because we have kids anymore but more from the perspective of protecting your values.

Since we haven't been to the area in a very long time we are looking for input and suggested areas of town that might be worth looking at so we can understand what we can afford to buy before we get on an airplane to take a look.

Thanks

PJ

verticaldoug
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
why not rent for at least the first year? It will give you time to understand Tucson and where you should live. Besides, home prices are going nowhere so you lose nothing by waiting.

Pete Serotta
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
you or a close friend have intimate knowledge of the area and you have been there numerous times. A "test drive' is always a good first step.

why not rent for at least the first year? It will give you time to understand Tucson and were you should live. Besides, home prices are going nowhere so you lose nothing by waiting.

MattTuck
08-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Also, think about going there for a few weeks or a month. use something like Homeaway.com to find short term rentals.

I think it would be a blast to do some sort of Serotta Forum meet up in Tucson in the winter.

Bob Ross
08-04-2011, 01:22 PM
[we] would like something perhaps not in the center of town but still close to some of the amenities of the city. Cycling would be a big part of the move so an area provides good access to riding.

Presuming you're talking about Tucson Arizona...

ime anywhere you live within a ~10 mile radius of the center of town puts you close enough to the "amenities of the city". Which basically means anywhere except the Oro Valley. It's just not that big a city. Takes farkin' forever to get from one end to the other during rush hour, but it's still pretty consolidated.

And good access to riding (again, ime) consists pretty much of rolling out of your driveway, bang, you're there. It's the most cycling-friendly city I've ever ridden in, and it's pretty easy to get from Decent Riding to Exquisitely Excellent Riding by just heading a few miles in nearly any direction.

I envy you! The missus & I would love to get a winter home in Tucson. For now we have to content ourselves with annual visits to my parents' house.

learningtoride
08-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I am a semi-native to Tucson and live here most the year. I would be happy to help in any possible way. Things to remember about out here is it is filled with "pockets" of areas where the neighbors may be less than desirable. Also, being the epic center of Mexico taking back Arizona there is a large cultural diversity here. If you would like you can PM me ANY questions you would have or any preferences you would have outside of being in the general midtown areas and near cycling- as anywhere you live is really near cycling. Its huge here. But your tastes in lifestyle and all that would really help me in leading you to a place where you would be happy here. I also know some real estate agents I could refer you to should you need that as well. There are a large amount of town home communities and condos along with reasonably priced homes in all styles. This isn't like being anywhere else I can tell you that! Anyway, I'm here to help if you'd like. :o

pjmsj21
08-04-2011, 01:37 PM
you or a close friend have intimate knowledge of the area and you have been there numerous times. A "test drive' is always a good first step.

Certainly a very good point about renting especially considering the current state of the market. Based upon the vacancy rate for rentals it is not likely to improve very soon. Thanks for the input we will definitely visit and try before we buy.

Gummee
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Depends on what kind of riding you wanna do... NW isn't the best for mtn biking but is fine for road riding.

East is closer to the Catalina Hwy and the mountains and dirt riding.

I was mostly running when I was there. Lots of washes and dirt paths to run on that are harder to mtn bike on due to sand, etc.

I was out running one afternoon when it was 95 out thinking 'wow, this is pretty comfortable!' Never in my life would I have thought 95 was comfortable to run in till I moved there. In fact, mid- to upper-80s around here today feels hotter. Humidity don'tcha know.

Green Valley = lots of old people. ...and the Titan Missile Museum.

Oro Valley = lots of hyper-alert-for-speeding cops. I got lucky, but pretty much everyone I know had a story to tell.

M

norcalbiker
08-04-2011, 03:09 PM
It's probably a good time to buy a property in Tucson AZ right now.

They made the number 1 list on
"America's 10 Sickest Housing Markets"

1. Tucson, AZ
Homeowner vacancy rates: 6.8% (1st)
Rental vacancy rates: 15.9% (6th)
Total housing units: 440,909
Unemployment: 7.8%

Tucson's homeowner vacancy rate was 3.2% one year ago. It is now over double that. The city had a booming residential housing market before the crash. Since then, demand is so low that median home prices have dropped 18% in the past year and 33% since 2008. In addition, the city has among the highest rate of foreclosures in the country.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/113245/americas-sickest-housing-markets-247wallst

Z3c
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Feel free to Pm; I have lived here for a bit over 2 years.. Great year-round riding of all types. As already stated, the city is pretty small but getting around can be slow.. I live in Oro Valley and like it but it is a bit away from the culture of the UofA/downtown.

Feel free to ask questions..

Scott

Louis
08-04-2011, 04:15 PM
why not rent for at least the first year? It will give you time to understand Tucson and where you should live. Besides, home prices are going nowhere so you lose nothing by waiting.

I agree 100% with this. Rent until you get a good feel for the place then decide. Assuming you're willing to have an extra move (which can be minimized for the first temporary location) there's no compelling reason to have to buy now.

Ken Robb
08-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Judging by all the AZ. license plates in San Diego right now I understand why there are so few folks left in AZ. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dlevy05
08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
It's not for everyone, but have you even considered a house exchange? You may be able to live the Tuscon life for the price of your current home, at least for a month or more, until you make a decision whether or not to buy.

Gummee
08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Judging by all the AZ. license plates in San Diego right now I understand why there are so few folks left in AZ. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:You know as well as I do that that's normal for this time of year. Damn Zonies!

...having been one for a bit I can't say I blame em!

Lots of nice houses in the NW section of town over by the other Saguaro Natl Monument. :nod

M

Ken Robb
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Yep, traditionally we get Zonies in July and Texans in August but everyone came early this year. The high at the beach today was 70F but it was 91F 10 miles inland.

Gummee
08-05-2011, 06:12 AM
I lived in Carmel Valley and then Oceanside. Far enough away from the coast to not have to deal with it on a daily basis, but close enough to ride to the 101 and go look at the scenery

:thumb

M

Walter
08-05-2011, 07:19 AM
I have been in Tucson since '66 and live on the far East side. Great riding out there for roadies. Colossal Cave area, Mt Lemmon, etc. The West side has Gates Pass and the Saguaro West Park.

No place is far from anything else. There are nice and bad areas in every sector.

The advice to head out and rent for a bit to see what is the best fit for you is good.

Gummee
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
If I had to move back, I'd look NW and East with a nod towards the eastern end of the area.

My $.02

Oh, and if you run, make sure to hit Meet Me at Maynard's on Mondays

M

jeo99
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM
I have been bike-vacationing in Tucson for the last 12-years. Typically we rent a house and spend 10-days to escape our Michigan Winters that last too long. Anyway, we have rented on all sides of town during this time. First of all Tucson is a college town and has all the aminities you could possibly want. Good cycling is achievable on all sides of town. The North side seems to have the newest housing which might be appeaing. There are great restuarants everywhere. The West side has the best access for cycling and has good housing in the Gates Pass/Starr Pass areas. You are close to the campus and Fairwheel bike shop featured in many bicycle magazines and home to the famous "Shootout". You should Google "Shootout"! Again all sides of town have good cycling access. Some are better than other. Good choice and good luck!
:beer:

MattTuck
08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I think you should buy this 'house', and I use the word 'house' very loosely.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903461104576460272444867368.html

Idris Icabod
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
My wife and I are considering Tuscon as a warm weather retreat from the Northwest for some of the winter months and are considering Tuscon.

We are ideally looking for a smaller home or possibly a townhome but something that still has a yard for our dog. We are not into gated communities or golf courses and would like something perhaps not in the center of town but still close to some of the amenities of the city. Cycling would be a big part of the move so an area provides good access to riding. Good schools would be important not because we have kids anymore but more from the perspective of protecting your values.

Since we haven't been to the area in a very long time we are looking for input and suggested areas of town that might be worth looking at so we can understand what we can afford to buy before we get on an airplane to take a look.

Thanks

PJ

I live in Oro Valley and have done for about 7 years, pretty nice for cycling. Good school districts, here and Foothills are the only 2 that are good as far as I'm told (my kids are too young for school). You can now buy for the low 200K's in my neighbourhood from a high of mid-400's a few years ago. My wife and I just bought a second house across the road from us that was a short sale for $190K that sold 4 years ago for $425K, it has a large patio and synthetic grass so close to zero maintainance landscaping that was the attraction. We already rented it but don't limit yourself to a townhome, there are some shocking deals to be had. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about Oro Valley at least.