PDA

View Full Version : Selling seasons-when to sell certain parts

mjb266
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Working in retail for a number of years back in college, I developed the habit of only buy new skis, pants, and long sleeved shirts in late spring and bikes, shorts, and sunglasses in the late fall.

Now I've managed to come upon a small stash of old bike stuff and I was wondering about the correct time to sell if I wanted a premium price. I would think that it would be a good time to sell newer road parts and cyclocross bits, but does old Campy or cinelli sell better in the winter than the summer?
I think I remember Dave Thompson saying something about this five or six years back but I may be wrong. Something to the effect of people working on vintage projects when they can't ride.

Are there other unique cycling goods you wait to sell so you get a premium? If so, what do you think the premium is? 10-50%?

I can think of winter clothing and cyclocross as having their own unique season. Any others?

I'd type more but I'm on a stupid phone.

eddief
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Dave "the Buffett" Thomposn probably won't be able to help you with this...even though he has probably bought and sold more bikes and parts than most of us put together.

but i do think your attempt to analyze the situation is intriguing. i'd like to hear some opinions on this.

MattTuck
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
If you're talking about parts that move with decent volume (ie. the market is pretty liquid), then there might be some seasonal variances in price as supply/demand imbalances sort themselves out at the end or beginning of a season. Keep in mind, the reason some seasonal products can be cheap or expensive depending on the season has to do with BOTH supply and demand. Car companies, bike companies, every company that has season demand fluctuations works hard to control the supply side of the equation so that the market isn't flooded or starved of product. This keeps prices more stable.

If you're talking about older stuff, that could go on vintage projects, I think price has more to do with the seller finding the right buyer, than the season. I understand the argument that more people are building projects in the winter, but I just think it has more to do with the buyer/seller connection.

mjb266
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
If you're talking about older stuff, that could go on vintage projects, I think price has more to do with the seller finding the right buyer, than the season. I understand the argument that more people are building projects in the winter, but I just think it has more to do with the buyer/seller connection.
Interesting thought. I wonder why there is such variation in the selling price of bikes and parts depending on finishing date and time. All the auctions are up for enough time to be seen but those ending in the middle of the week lose out.

godfrey1112000
08-04-2011, 11:42 AM
The free markets will tell you when the best time to put things but the time of the season also helps,

It would make sense that things might sell better in the Spring/Summer time vs. the Dead of Winter.

Although I have sold/bought items during the "Dead of Winter" because I knew I would need it in the future and it was priced right

If you price something fairly, at a value, it will sell almost any time of year, think about how you would view the item and its price and you will get your answer.

Selling Summer jerseys in January may not draw the attention you are looking for but hard to find parts at a value will most likely sell year round

Posting on the Bay you would want to get that "weekend" exposure, a three day listing starting on Monday will not get the same "looks" as a Friday thru Monday listing, even end times so the West Coasters get a chance after work will be in your favor.

Local CL ads are the same, weekends get more "looks"

good luck

Working in retail for a number of years back in college, I developed the habit of only buy new skis, pants, and long sleeved shirts in late spring and bikes, shorts, and sunglasses in the late fall.

Now I've managed to come upon a small stash of old bike stuff and I was wondering about the correct time to sell if I wanted a premium price. I would think that it would be a good time to sell newer road parts and cyclocross bits, but does old Campy or cinelli sell better in the winter than the summer?
I think I remember Dave Thompson saying something about this five or six years back but I may be wrong. Something to the effect of people working on vintage projects when they can't ride.

Are there other unique cycling goods you wait to sell so you get a premium? If so, what do you think the premium is? 10-50%?

I can think of winter clothing and cyclocross as having their own unique season. Any others?

I'd type more but I'm on a stupid phone.