PDA

View Full Version : Look Titanium Value/Quality question

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey there folks - I have an opportunity to pick up a Look Titanium bike and didn't even know they'd made them. Does anyone know anything about them? Are these rebadged something else? Quality ti? Approximation on value, frame/fork only?

Sale is time sensitive, so could use fast replies. I don't even have photos.

Google search is hard in this case because keyword:Look is so generic. They obviously named themselves prior to net searching :)

atanz
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
interesting find. the only thing that comes up is this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjohan/3582011985/) one on flickr.

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Found out a little - as I suspected, they were likely rebadged litespeeds. The model he has is KG-292...

I don't really know what['s fair...it's built up with 10sp SRAM Rival (he thinks it MIGHT be Force, doesn't remember).

Kirk Pacenti
08-04-2011, 10:39 AM
That's a Litespeed made bike for sure... but not necessarily re-badged. We did a lot of frames for other companies built to their spec.

I would avoid it only because of the rear dropouts. The horizontal design in Ti was prone to slippage.

Cheers,

KP

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
That's a Litespeed made bike for sure... but not necessarily re-badged. We did a lot of frames for other companies built to their spec.

I would avoid it only because of the rear dropouts. The horizontal design in Ti was prone to slippage.

Cheers,

KP

Thanks Kirk - that's what I meant by rebadged...similar to what Merckx did with the AX. I can understand your correction though and made by might have been better phrasing.

I'm on the fence with this one...$1,000 for a fairly used Force bike made by Litespeed seems decent, but not terrific.

bike22
08-04-2011, 11:07 AM
i'd pass.

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
i'd pass.

I think so too - on the other side of the equation, it does have Kyssiriums, he says the Force has 500 miles on it (I misread 5,000), ti stem and CF Look seatpost. E90 bars.

I'm on the border...for 800 I'd definitely be in...but 1,000, for a Litespeed with a group I don't even like?

Ahneida Ride
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
1K FRN$ ??? Hmmm .... I'd think about that ...

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
1k USD $.

$1,000

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Build List:

54cm LOOK Titanium Frame (1 of only 75 imported to the US in the final year of LOOK making ti frames), LOOK HSC1 Carbon Fork
SRAM 10 Speed Carbon Group
Mavic Ksyrium Wheels
Easton Carbon BullHorns, Look Carbon Seatpost, Profile Carbon Cranks
Titanium Stem
Chris King Headset
Campy Brakes
Selle Italia Gel Seat
Look Clipless Pedals

old_fat_and_slow
08-04-2011, 02:07 PM
... snippage...

Cheers,

KP

I would not pass on the frame solely for that reason. Get a good quality skewer, and that should not be a problem. It's certainly not a problem for my horizontal drop-out equipped Merckx EX. I've used Dura-Ace, Campy, Zipp, and now AtoZ. Non-issue for me, anyway.

YMMV

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Non-issue - vertical drops. I ended up buying it...I don't think I stole it, but I think it's an interesting bike and worth a ride or two. If it's not my thing, it moves on. It's lighter than my Merlin as built.

It looks chromed! Decals are in rough shape, DIRTY, needs new cables/housings...but everything else checked out. Calipers were weird for the rest of the bike - mirage front caliper and chrous rear.

kramnnim
08-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Non-issue - vertical drops. I ended up buying it...I don't think I stole it, but I think it's an interesting bike and worth a ride or two. If it's not my thing, it moves on. It's lighter than my Merlin as built.

It looks chromed! Decals are in rough shape, DIRTY, needs new cables/housings...but everything else checked out. Calipers were weird for the rest of the bike - mirage front caliper and chrous rear.

Where are the pictures? :)

old_fat_and_slow
08-04-2011, 02:52 PM
...I ended up buying it...

Are you still holding the line at ten bikes, or have you swelled over now?

Di'n cha just buy a steel Merckx too?

Wow, it must be tuff to decide what to ride, every day. :D

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 02:56 PM
LOL - photos in a few days after it's cleaned and pretty!

This puts me at 11 (depending on how the math is done), and it's probably a flip. I'll ride it just to see how it compares to my Merlin, and I might snag a part or two off of it.

I just bought a De Rosa Primato! I've had the Merckx for a bit - it's Steve Bauer's Motorola bike and I don't ride it much. It's easier to chose than you'd think - my MAX Marnati with SR 11 is a DREAM.

Pete Serotta
08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
1K FRN$ ??? Hmmm .... I'd think about that ...

and no thinking will be needed//// :D

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
and no thinking will be needed//// :D

I'll give you 1k...

for a Serotta Ottrott with Campy 11sp :banana:

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Are you still holding the line at ten bikes, or have you swelled over now?

Di'n cha just buy a steel Merckx too?

Wow, it must be tuff to decide what to ride, every day. :D

You know, for 5 months it was dead...almost no deals...

Now, it's insane! I just made another "can't pass it up" deal. I'll announce it when it's done tomorrow...but it's big. I'll just have to sell something in the stable to make room; there's no human way I can pass this up (even though I already have one, hint hint).

old_fat_and_slow
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
You know, for 5 months it was dead...almost no deals...

Now, it's insane! I just made another "can't pass it up" deal. I'll announce it when it's done tomorrow...but it's big. I'll just have to sell something in the stable to make room; there's no human way I can pass this up (even though I already have one, hint hint).

Either yer single, or you got the most understanding/bike-friendly wife in the world ! ! ! !

Aaron O
08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Either yer single, or you got the most understanding/bike-friendly wife in the world ! ! ! !
My wife is great :)

I'll show her your comment!

Aaron O
08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
And here it is...sort of interesting, if only because it's a weird duck...

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0408.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0409.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0410.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0411.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0412.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0413.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/IMG_0414.jpg

Ahneida Ride
08-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Looks like highly Polished Ti ...

Aaron O
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Wasn't that a Litespeed thing? I actually like the Merlin ghost grey more.

Johnny P
08-06-2011, 03:08 PM

+1

Aaron O
08-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm a VERY lucky man...

and she cooks :D

texbike
08-06-2011, 03:24 PM
At least you got a good deal on the Sachs..... :rolleyes:

Just kidding Aaron! The Look "looks" interesting.

Congrats,

Texbike

Aaron O
08-06-2011, 03:33 PM
LOL - thanks...

I ended up paying far less than earlier discussed...lower than my "i'd be in number".

jerome
08-07-2011, 01:36 AM
I read Kirk post I might be wrong but I was pretty sure that it was made in Czek Republic as were the SUNN bikes (french company).
Here in France we have seen a few honestly it is not even a Litespeed it is poorly built and all the riders I know have broken their frame after 10 or 15 000 km.
Ti : Serotta, Seven, Moots, a few small shop, IF

everything has a price.
Ti made in the US is good money.

Aaron O
08-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I read Kirk post I might be wrong but I was pretty sure that it was made in Czek Republic as were the SUNN bikes (french company).
Here in France we have seen a few honestly it is not even a Litespeed it is poorly built and all the riders I know have broken their frame after 10 or 15 000 km.
Ti : Serotta, Seven, Moots, a few small shop, IF

everything has a price.
Ti made in the US is good money.

From what i've read, they had two models - one sandvick, which is what you are talking about, and the Litespeeds.

I've yet to ride this, I know the prior rider put on 6000 miles and he bought it used from a pro, so I think it's safe to say it has considerably more than what you mention.

victoryfactory
08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
if it is made by Litespeed,
"LOOKs" like a Litespeed classic by the finish.
Arenberg had an ovalized DT and Tuscany had oval DT
all the way down.
VF

Aaron O
08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I took it out for a spin today...nothing too major...I'm not a fan of the SRAM stuff, nothing new there, but it sure worked well. The bike is almost unnervingly light...it's lighter than my Merlin (or at least the build is; the Merlin has some older, heavier parts and heavier wheels) but I didn't enjoy the ride as much...it was less firm and more twitchy. It felt more Colnago'ish on the one good descent Igot going on with it. It climbed nicely, but I don't think it out performed my Merlin.

Overall...nice experience, but nothing jaw dropping either. Truthfully, I was expecting more because this was the lightest wheel set I've used. Perhaps it was the Gatorskins - I really don't care for those tires much.

gaozilla
08-08-2011, 12:29 AM
i think $800 would have been a stellar deal for that bike complete. what did you end up paying for it?

Aaron O
08-08-2011, 06:28 AM
i think $800 would have been a stellar deal for that bike complete. what did you end up paying for it?
I am not at liberty to discuss such things. It was a difficult transaction and I paid in sanity.

CNY rider
08-08-2011, 06:54 AM
. Perhaps it was the Gatorskins - I really don't care for those tires much.

No bicycle should be judged on how it rides with Gatorskins.
They're fine for commuting but have an incredibly dead ride feeling.
Get some nice rubber on there and give the thing a chance.

Aaron O
08-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Sighhhh...so true. I thought the wheel weight would make up for that, but the tire really is critical.

Truthfully, I can't even tolerate them for commuting.

Dlevy05
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
That's an awesome bike. Who cares if it breaks, or isn't valuable, JUST RIDE IT.

.....and then tell us about it..... :)