PDA

View Full Version : Steel experts help! Is this dropout toast?

phcollard
08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi Folks.

This dropout was bent (like closed?) during shipping as you can probably see in the poor phone picture below. Is it something that a framebuilder can reset to it's original position and that I can ride safely afterwards?

Thanks for your help. Philippe.

phcollard
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Another pic where you can see better...

e-RICHIE
08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
get a crowbar or a man's man's screwdriver and show it who's boss atmo.
it shouldn't take more than 18 careful seconds or weigh more than 21 grams.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :) :)
:rolleyes: :p :)

miguel
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
take it to the shop
get the dangler alignment tool
bend as needed

bicycletricycle
08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
if it doesnt break it will probbaly be okay

Frankwurst
08-03-2011, 06:42 PM
get a crowbar or a man's man's screwdriver and show it who's boss atmo.
it shouldn't take more than 18 careful seconds or weigh more than 21 grams.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes: :p :)

I kinda think e-Ritchie knows what he's talkin' about. Just a hunch though. :beer:

ultraman6970
08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
No is not toasted... just put it back where is suppose to be using a piece of wood or something like that, put it inside of the drop out and torque it until the open gets in position. Just be patient, do it slowly.

Once in position u have to align the drop outs and the RD hanger because for sure are off.

Good luck.

ps: if it breaks it is fixable, where u live for sure there is master builder and he can braze the drop out together again, there is a guy in guelph near ontario just in case (winterborne). I know, is like zillions of KMs from where u are.

e-RICHIE
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
ps: if it breaks it is fixable, where u live for sure there is master builder and he can braze the drop out together again, are.

eh i dunno if that's plausible atmo....

ps

arrange disorder

:p :p :p
;) :D :o
:rolleyes: :) :cool:

markie
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I am not the expert, but it looks a bit mangled by the set screw (at the back in the 1st pic). I might be tempted to move the set screw all the way back (in) and then squeeze the wheel axle in the gap where it is widest without doing anymore bending.

Might be worth a try.

Peter P.
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Well; you got e-RICHIE to give you an answer so that should be good enough. That was nice of him.

My 2 cents says the same but I'd add to keep the screw in the hole while you bend it. That should help shore up the area and keep the hole from distorting if it wants to buckle while you're wrestling with opening the slot.

ultraman6970
08-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Doubt this was photoshopped... besides i have seen more than one master builder fixing broken drop outs, the guy who fix this ones is pretty good.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/endweld.html

e-RICHIE
08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Doubt this was photoshopped... besides i have seen more than one master builder fixing broken drop outs, the guy who fix this ones is pretty good.

these are welded, not brazed atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :rolleyes: :cool:

zmudshark
08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Damn you and your experience e-RICHIE. What are you, some sort of frame building expert? ;)

Louis
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Damn you and your experience e-RICHIE. What are you, some sort of frame building expert? ;)

He plays one on TV.

Jack Brunk
08-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I want a E Ritchie lugged 29er SS complete bike.
A guy can dream right?

Brian Smith
08-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I want a E Ritchie lugged 29er SS complete bike.
A guy can dream right?

Nightmares abound.

Jack Brunk
08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Nightmares abound.
What about wet dreams?

Brian, we only send time in this plane for a short time no?

lhuerta
08-04-2011, 12:30 AM
...be sure to pry it open ONLY from the leading edge of the drop out and not the sides in order to avoid lateral bending of the dropout. Lou

97CSI
08-04-2011, 06:12 AM
ps: if it breaks it is fixable, where u live for sure there is master builder and he can braze the drop out together again.Believe that's a NO. However, your master builder could pull out the pieces of the dropout from the stays and put in a new one.

phcollard
08-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Wow I love you all guys!

Thanks for the replies. It's not one of the nicer frames (it's an old Moser with thick Oria tubing that I paid 50 bucks) but hey I like it so I'm gonna have our local Marinoni (http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/) arrange this disorder. Thanks atmo :beer:

oldpotatoe
08-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi Folks.

This dropout was bent (like closed?) during shipping as you can probably see in the poor phone picture below. Is it something that a framebuilder can reset to it's original position and that I can ride safely afterwards?

Thanks for your help. Philippe.

Don't need a frame builder, just a decent wrench in a bike shop. That dropout 'may' break along the hole where the dropout adjuster lives but it may be fine also. Just a gentle bend, with a wrench. I some times use the hole in the handle of my big adjustable wrench or my 19mm closed end of the 2 sided wrench..then a few seconds with dropout alignment tools and...go ride.

Jeremy123
08-04-2011, 08:35 AM
....i've had to fix this issue a few times. Always used my big adjustable, my favorite cold set tool for bosses, braze ons and dropouts. Worst that ever happened was when a road drop out developed a small crack after the cold set. I just welded the crack and re cold set it. Didn't kill it, so I hear that makes it stronger.

Brian Smith
08-05-2011, 08:25 PM
What about wet dreams?

Brian, we only send time in this plane for a short time no?

Jack,

I dig your motivations.

Dream on, sir.