PDA

View Full Version : OT: buying dslr

vqdriver
08-02-2011, 08:53 PM
i've decide to make the leap to canon from nikon and now i need to find a good price. i suspect the uniformity of internet pricing indicates pricing control for authorized dealers. so if i'm going to pay retail anyway, is there a "season" where new product is rolled out and i won't regret my purchase by buying a month or two early?

fwiw, i'm getting a 60d and am unfamiliar with canon's turnover on models so insight into that is appreciated as well.

AngryScientist
08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
my only advice is that i buy all my camera equipment refurbished directly from the manufacturer. there are several large stores in NYC that sell these, both in-store and mail order. adorama is one.

the refurbished models are literally indistinguishable from new and carry a manufacturer direct warranty.

why the switch from Nikon? by all accounts they are just as good as canon in the digi market, just a preference thing really.

good luck!

Spin71
08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Canon Loyalty Program....

happycampyer
08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I almost made the switch to Canon as well (from a D200), but ended up getting a D7000. I have taken a much higher percentage of quality pictures with it than I did with the D200. Before you make the switch to the 60D, I would recommend that you take a look at the D7000, especially if you already have Nikon lenses you like. Just a thought.

bagochips3
08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I'll second the Canon refurbished program.

Why the switch? If you really prefer the ergonomics of one vs. the other, then great, go for it. But switching brands will make you a better photographer in much the same way switching from Shimano to Campy (to SRAM) will make you a better cyclist.

veloduffer
08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
What do you expect to achieve by switching? The heart of photography are lenses and technique. Switching brands or even models will not make a better photo.

pegdrgr
08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I second the D7000. I had a D70, hated it. Stepped into the D90 and liked it a lot. Now I have the D7000, love it and I no longer reminisce about the days when I shot Canon. If you have any level of lenses you should really think about staying in the Nikon camp.

vqdriver
08-03-2011, 12:14 AM
the reason for the switch is kinda beside the point here, but no i don't expect it to improve anything. i could explain the decision, but i doubt anyone will burrow thru that boredom. besides, i have no allegiance to nikon or canon.

i'm not switching just for the sake of it. i'm using a d80 now and whether nikon or canon, it's time to upgrade the body. the only thing i'd be sacrificing is my 35 /1.4 which is replacable.

soooo....... back to the original point. anyone know what canon's typical rollout timeline is like?

i hadn't thought of factory refurb. i'll have to look into that, tho i'm hesitant to buy used electronics. especially electronics with moving parts. what's the factory warranty? 30 days? 1 year?

bagochips3
08-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Refurb link:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

They just had a sale on refurb gear (I think another 15% off), but everything sold out very very fast.

Here is a history of past rebates, for what it's worth:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/Canon-Lens-Rebates.aspx

I think there is a rebate on now if you buy a camera body + printer.

The warranty on refurnished is not as good as new (90 days vs. 1 year).

ergott
08-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Cameta Camera sells refurbs and gives gives you the 1 year warranty in-store. Refurbs are 90 day. I've purchased from Cameta several times as they have an online presence and I visit them at the store as well. Having a shop I can easily walk into is a plus for me.

The 60D is relatively new so don't expect a replacement this or next year. That's just a guess from following new camera bodies for a while now. Canon is very tight lipped and you won't know about a replacement until it happens. The rumors are of replacements to other cameras right now.