PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried these H Plus Son Tb14 Rim

stephenmarklay
08-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Boy they look nice. I am looking to build a set of wheels that don't look all 2012 AD (ok that used to be a long time away :)

These would look great on a steel bike and I really like the 23mm thing.

stephenmarklay
08-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Here is a linky so you can see what I am looking at

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_163_1821_2368&products_id=13302

spacemen3
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm excited to try these out, too. I've been impressed with their SL42's.

thinpin
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I was just looking at those rims on a japanese web site http://www.alexscycle.com/
today and thinking the same thing. Heavy though at 490gms.

stephenmarklay
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Ok you guys buy them and tell me how it goes!

bicycletricycle
10-26-2011, 04:44 PM
anyone get these yet?

Liv2RideHard
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Anyone got their hands on these? Built? Thoughts? I am considering them for my modern classic build. Cheers!

christian
03-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Lots of reviews across the hall. General consensus seems to be heavy, not particularly round, and tough to build with even tension. I love the look, but it was enough for me to give them a pass.

jds108
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a set of TB14s in silver. I'm not a wheel building expert, but have built the one pair of each of the following: First some Mavic Open 4CDs, then CXP30s, then Velocity deep Vs, then Synergies, then no-name carbon rims then the TB14s and just a couple of weeks ago some Stan's 340s. Of those, the TB14s look the nicest, as they are the only ones without any kind of visible seam. They must be machined/finished after the rim is joined. They're high polished and that was done well.

They built up just fine, having eyelets meant there was no stickiness in turning the nipple. They're at least as round as anything else I have used. The CXP 30s were the worst of what I've dealt with in that regard and even those are fine.

They were a little heavier than spec, but it wasn't by much and I can't remember what the number was. At this point they only have a couple of rides on them so there isn't much to say as everything is fine. They just look like a nice, old school rim. I'd buy them again if that was the look I was going for. I wanted 28/32 holes so ended up buying one from a US mail order place but had to get the 28h direct from HPlusSon.

I'm running the Conti gp 4 season 700x28s (the measure a little smaller than that) and swapped my bike with another person for the last part of a ride yesterday. He commented how much nicer the ride was then on his bike (Ksyriums with '23s). Plenty of other differences, but the wide rim and big tire gives a nice ride and feels good while cornering.

Jaq
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Those are such pretty rims; I like the Ambrosio-esque counterbalance at the valve hole. Shame they don't do a version in tubbies.

stephenmarklay
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a set of TB14s in silver. I'm not a wheel building expert, but have built the one pair of each of the following: First some Mavic Open 4CDs, then CXP30s, then Velocity deep Vs, then Synergies, then no-name carbon rims then the TB14s and just a couple of weeks ago some Stan's 340s. Of those, the TB14s look the nicest, as they are the only ones without any kind of visible seam. They must be machined/finished after the rim is joined. They're high polished and that was done well.

They built up just fine, having eyelets meant there was no stickiness in turning the nipple. They're at least as round as anything else I have used. The CXP 30s were the worst of what I've dealt with in that regard and even those are fine.

They were a little heavier than spec, but it wasn't by much and I can't remember what the number was. At this point they only have a couple of rides on them so there isn't much to say as everything is fine. They just look like a nice, old school rim. I'd buy them again if that was the look I was going for. I wanted 28/32 holes so ended up buying one from a US mail order place but had to get the 28h direct from HPlusSon.

I'm running the Conti gp 4 season 700x28s (the measure a little smaller than that) and swapped my bike with another person for the last part of a ride yesterday. He commented how much nicer the ride was then on his bike (Ksyriums with '23s). Plenty of other differences, but the wide rim and big tire gives a nice ride and feels good while cornering.

Nice input. I have heard pretty nice things in general about them and they sound like a viable alternative to the HED's and Velocity for that retro look.

fatallightning
03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Hplus is also coming out with/ out with a "racier" wide rim, lighter weight, deeper profile, lower hole count, called the Archetype. More in the a23/HED vein.

Liv2RideHard
03-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank-you. I have been waffling on rim selection and need to pull the trigger. I am going to wander across the hall and see what has been said over there. My intent is modern classic for my Tommasini Tecno. Lots of chrome and alloy bits. You may have helped convince me to go with the TB 14's. Thanks!

oldpotatoe
03-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Lots of reviews across the hall. General consensus seems to be heavy, not particularly round, and tough to build with even tension. I love the look, but it was enough for me to give them a pass.

Have a gent that comes in that, when he was back east, had a wheelbuilding biz and built with these and said the same as above. Altho I haven't personally built one.

mossman
03-13-2012, 07:49 AM
I built up a pair of TB14s for a friend. I was not impressed.

wooly
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Hplus is also coming out with/ out with a "racier" wide rim, lighter weight, deeper profile, lower hole count, called the Archetype. More in the a23/HED vein.

They do look nice and I especially like the different finishes. I'd be interested to hear how the black anodized finish wears over time. Nice to have another choice in the market, considering HED is limiting the rim drillings offered to custom builders now.

Liv2RideHard
03-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I built up a pair of TB14s for a friend. I was not impressed.

could you possibly expand? Same experience as the others? I have read both good and bad reviews.

FlashUNC
12-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Bumping this. Was looking at these given the shiny silver finish. Thoughts from those who have built 'em up?

AngryScientist
12-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Bumping this. Was looking at these given the shiny silver finish. Thoughts from those who have built 'em up?

cant say enough good things about these rims. built a set up myself last year and rode the hell out of them on my geekhouse. d2r2, dirtphalt, etc. bombproof and awesome. good and round out of the box. built up easily and are holding up very very well over a lot of hellish miles.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ufpP9g7Usfw/UgmMt8Q1eEI/AAAAAAAABXc/jtJrk5rw-Vw/s640/DSCN0012.JPG

Gsinill
12-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Built the silver mirror polished ones up with Athena (I think) 7s cassette hubs and run them on my Appel.
They scratch fairly easy but building and getting them true was no problem at all. I love the look and the ride and will probably build another set for my De Rosa Nuovo Classico once I am done refinishing the frame.

cachagua
12-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Built a pair of the silver ones on high-flange hubs for that old-fashioned look. Very friendly to build, the ride is superb, haven't really given them a "durability test" yet (a curb, a dog, an SUV, you know) but they seem very solidly put together. I like everything about 'em. Vittoria SCs with gum sidewalls, on the Weinmann Merckx -- pretty tasty.

I'd say go for it. I'll probably be be building more. In fact -- anyone know if they're planning a 650b version? If so, two of those will be coming RIGHT to my door.

teleguy57
12-14-2013, 09:57 PM
My photos aren't as nice as AngryScientist's (I'll work on that!) but here are mine in the hard anodized finish. Built up nicely, and ride very well on my rain/CX/gravel bike. I really like the warm bronzish color -- looks very much like a clincher version of my Nemesis.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Oh22GIOynBE/UXnIPMVYA_I/AAAAAAAABZg/bE63Qq1bXl8/w958-h637-no/DSC_0003.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-T2fEUCsbjbE/UXnIPEMzqrI/AAAAAAAABZg/VTkGDcsS3yQ/w958-h637-no/DSC_0004.JPG

Llewellyn
12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I absolutely love mine. I've got two wheelsets with them now and will get another set built in the new year using the Ultegra hubs I've got that are currently laced to some CXP33's

oldpotatoe
12-15-2013, 09:46 AM
I absolutely love mine. I've got two wheelsets with them now and will get another set built in the new year using the Ultegra hubs I've got that are currently laced to some CXP33's

H+Son has done good work bringing loose rims to market. They have a wide variety of models, they work well, aren't expensive, available either direct or via distributors like Quality Bike Parts.

Light years better than anything mavic, IMHO, not on par with DT, again, IMHO, but they work well. Easy to build, stay true, tension comes out even when done. Silver ones scratch really easy..so be aware of that when ya lace them.

Wish they made a tubular(DT as well), I'm not sure the 650b gig has their attention...

fiamme red
12-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Light years better than anything mavic, IMHO In what way? I've put many trouble-free miles recently on a set of Open Pro wheels that my LBS built for me.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2013, 10:17 AM
In what way? I've put many trouble-free miles recently on a set of Open Pro wheels that my LBS built for me.

Noisy wedge they use to hold it together for welding and noisy eyelets..both issues have been known to them for over a decade and mavic refuses to do anything about it. Same with the crappy rearhub on krysirium models.

PLUS it's pretty easy to see the quality of a rim when you build it new. The ease or difficulty is directly related to how round and flat it was made. DT are the best, H+Son are good, mavic is third on this list, along with Velocity. Their quality control has been lacking since they moved their production to Florida.

Can ya design and make a good wheelset with any of the mentioned rims..along with $30 wheelsouttabox, made by a machine...sure...

BUT in the rim world, mavic sure isn't my first, second or even third choice of a good rim.

thirdgenbird
12-15-2013, 11:14 AM
I've been debating a miche to tb14 for a good budget campy wheel.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Nice choice.

FlashUNC
12-15-2013, 02:25 PM

I really liked the Miche hubs I had. Really good value for the money.

teleguy57
12-15-2013, 05:27 PM

That's my build pictured above. You just can't see the hubs:)

Spokes are tied and soldered on NDS per Old P's recommendation as the Miche flange spacing benefits from the added stiffness.

thirdgenbird
12-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I was thinking about anodized rims with silver spokes for a vintage look. The tied and soldered spokes play right into that.

Did you go with silver or black hubs? I would love to see more pics.

teleguy57
12-15-2013, 07:52 PM
I was thinking about anodized rims with silver spokes for a vintage look. The tied and soldered spokes play right into that.

Did you go with silver or black hubs? I would love to see more pics.

Silver hubs, silver spokes, hard ano rims, gold alloy nips (ok, doesn't fit into the max durability theme, but I've not had problems with other wheels I've built with alloy and I really liked the warm look -- and just that touch of bling :))

I was lazy and only tied the rear NDS; probably will do the rest over the winter.

Don't have any other pics right now; I'll put shooting a few on my to-do list.