PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Riding

Lovetoclimb
08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Changing jobs and with a few weeks downtime I think I will fly to CO, ride some Rockies, and watch some pros race bikes.

Besides the Boulder area what are some recommended rides in the 50+ mile category? Definitely looking to ride some of the big passes (Cottonwood, Independence) from the upcoming pro challenge, but if anyone has routes that include those in a loop or other amazing climbs please satiate me!

Also any recommendations on low cost lodging in Breck, Gunnison, Aspen, Golden, Salida, Steamboat, etc would be excellent. Or if someone out there simply wants an Ohio ride companion gasping for oxygen and smiling the whole time let me know availability.

Looking like I will be able to vacation August 17/18 - 26th.

Thanks for the help!

flydhest
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Just missing you. I'm headed out to Ft. Collins on the 28th for a week.

Bradford
08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
It is hard to do a pass as a loop. A pass is a low point in the mountains, so they are usually pretty far apart. A lot of them also run more than 50 miles, some more like 80, but the other side of the pass is all downhill, so you can easily coast 20-30 miles...so you can still count them as 50 if you just count the time you have to peddle.

If you can be dropped off or picked up, my favorites are Lizzard Head Pass from cortez to Telluride (60 miles of climbing) and Cottonwood Pass. Also consider Rabbit Ears (I'd do Walden to Steamboat) and Berthoud (Granby to Georgetown or the other way around).

If you can handle a two day trip with your bike, you could do Buena Vista to Gunnison over Monarch on day one and Gunnison to Buena Vista over Cottonwood on day two. I'm not a huge fan of Monarch (too many cars going too fast), but I've ridden it before. If it were me, I think I might rather do an out and back over Cotton Wood, which is stunning, and stay the night in Crested Butte.

If you can handle some dirt with you bike, on of my favorite loops is to start on the Breck side of Boreas Pass (where the gate is), go down into Breck, over Hoosier Pass, up 285 to Como, then on dirt over Boreas Pass. The road to the start of the pass can be washboard, but the pass road itself is pretty good. You would need some tires over 700 x 30 to be really comfortable. The last time I did that I had 700 x 28 Conti Top Tours on and wished I had some 32s or 35s.

For the ultimate Colorado loop, you can do the ride Bruce, RA, and I are doing on Saturday, the Copper Triangle. Start at the parking lot at Copper mountain and go over Freemont Pass to Leadville, then over Tennessee Pass to Minturn, then over Vail Pass back to Copper. Can't beat that loop for a nice day in the mountains.

If you end up in Steamboat, the 50 mile loop to Oak Creek that was part of this year's Ride the Rockies was pretty nice and not too hard.

Independence is nice, but scares me a little. That road can get really narrow in places. If you end up in Aspen, the run up to the Maroon Bell is nice (look out for the buses). What would be really cool is to bring your hiking boots and a lock and do a ride/hike to the Maroon Bells.

I just drove up Trailridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park when I was camping there over the weekend and thought it would be a great ride...but not on the weekend. There were a lot of cars on that road.

Good luck, riding in the mountains is really nice.

konstantkarma
08-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Trail Ridge from Grand Lake is a nice option. There are lots of places for rent in Grand Lake if you check with the rental offices in town. I usually head up to the high point and turn around. Doing this from the Grand Lake (West) side is means there is a lot less traffic than from the Estes side.

Another great ride is slumgullion pass from Lake City to Creede. It is only about 41 miles of horizontal riding, but the pass is challenging and the ride is a spectacular way to see the San Juan Mountains. It is also a relatively lightly traveled road.

Crawford to Gunnison is also a beautiful ride. Here is a description of the route in reverse. Gunnision to Crawford (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1r4vFZo&page_id=185434&v=AQ) .

Here is a link to one of the best books about road rides in CO by Michael Seeberg. It is a great resource, and very accurate Road Biking Colorado (http://www.roadbikingcolorado.com/)

I wish I could join you, but I am heading there tomorrow for 2 weeks.

Enjoy!

gdw
08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Mt Evans is worth climbing. 56 miles up and back from Idaho Springs.

djg21
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
It is hard to do a pass as a loop. A pass is a low point in the mountains, so they are usually pretty far apart. A lot of them also run more than 50 miles, some more like 80, but the other side of the pass is all downhill, so you can easily coast 20-30 miles...so you can still count them as 50 if you just count the time you have to peddle.

If you can be dropped off or picked up, my favorites are Lizzard Head Pass from cortez to Telluride (60 miles of climbing) and Cottonwood Pass. Also consider Rabbit Ears (I'd do Walden to Steamboat) and Berthoud (Granby to Georgetown or the other way around).

If you can handle a two day trip with your bike, you could do Buena Vista to Gunnison over Monarch on day one and Gunnison to Buena Vista over Cottonwood on day two. I'm not a huge fan of Monarch (too many cars going too fast), but I've ridden it before. If it were me, I think I might rather do an out and back over Cotton Wood, which is stunning, and stay the night in Crested Butte.

If you can handle some dirt with you bike, on of my favorite loops is to start on the Breck side of Boreas Pass (where the gate is), go down into Breck, over Hoosier Pass, up 285 to Como, then on dirt over Boreas Pass. The road to the start of the pass can be washboard, but the pass road itself is pretty good. You would need some tires over 700 x 30 to be really comfortable. The last time I did that I had 700 x 28 Conti Top Tours on and wished I had some 32s or 35s.

For the ultimate Colorado loop, you can do the ride Bruce, RA, and I are doing on Saturday, the Copper Triangle. Start at the parking lot at Copper mountain and go over Freemont Pass to Leadville, then over Tennessee Pass to Minturn, then over Vail Pass back to Copper. Can't beat that loop for a nice day in the mountains.

If you end up in Steamboat, the 50 mile loop to Oak Creek that was part of this year's Ride the Rockies was pretty nice and not too hard.

Independence is nice, but scares me a little. That road can get really narrow in places. If you end up in Aspen, the run up to the Maroon Bell is nice (look out for the buses). What would be really cool is to bring your hiking boots and a lock and do a ride/hike to the Maroon Bells.

I just drove up Trailridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park when I was camping there over the weekend and thought it would be a great ride...but not on the weekend. There were a lot of cars on that road.

Good luck, riding in the mountains is really nice.

Was going to recommend the Copper Triangle. During my daysin Vail, we'd typically do it in reverse, starting with Battle Mountain and Tennessee passes. If you can arrange a shuttle, you can also rider Vail to Aspen ove the same two passes, and then Independence. Tough ride!

mgm777
08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Lovetoclimb - There are many great rides in the Rockies to be experienced. I may be up for joing you on a couple if my schedule permits. Please PM me if you want some detailed suggestions and/or would like a riding partner for your rides. August is my favorite month for riding in the mountains. The afternoon thunderstorms tend to be less frequent and the air has that crispness that signals that autumn is just around the corner.

firerescuefin
08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Lovetoclimb - There are many great rides in the Rockies to be experienced. I may be up for joing you on a couple if my schedule permits. Please PM me if you want some detailed suggestions and/or would like a riding partner for your rides. August is my favorite month for riding in the mountains. The afternoon thunderstorms tend to be less frequent and the air has that crispness that signals that autumn is just around the corner.

If it worked out to do something like Deer Creek Canyon, Squaw, or Evans, would be interested in joining you.

...wouldn't rule out Boulder either.

bozman
08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
This one is shorter but a good one nonetheless:

http://classic.mapmyride.com/ride/United-States/CO/Littleton/393124249676531019

mgm777
08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
If it worked out to do something like Deer Creek Canyon, Squaw, or Evans, would be interested in joining you.

...wouldn't rule out Boulder either.

You and I should ride together sometime regardless.

firerescuefin
08-02-2011, 06:26 PM
You and I should ride together sometime regardless.

I'm in....I'll pm you contact info.

Lovetoclimb
08-03-2011, 08:28 AM
For all the tips and ride suggestions. Once I know my exact travel dates I will PM some of you with email and phone # so hopefully we can connect and ride the Rockies, maybe imbibe in some brews! :beer:

Lovetoclimb
08-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I am all booked up arriving morning of the 17th and leaving morning of the 25th. Have to be back for a weekend omnium race in TN.

I got a mid-size rental car which would be able to fit two bikes, more with a trunk rack if anyone wants to arrange a shuttle situation and ride a point to point route . . . The Vail to Aspen modified Copper Triangle sounds lovely.

As of right now I have looked at the following:
- the longest Deer Creek Challenge route my legs and lungs will allow (probably 89 miles)
-Copper Triangle or modified version of it with Independence Pass
-Breck > Hoosier Pass > Como > Borea Pass back to Breck

Few more days to fill, need to try and end up near cities where the Pro Challenge will pass through towards the 22-25th.

Definitely overwhelmed by all these amazing options in your terrific state!

Bradford
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Here is what you would be getting yourself into.

1)Top Hoosier Pass, looking back to Breck

2)Leaving Como, heading to Boreas:

3) Starting to Climb Boreas

4) Looking out over South Park

5) Looking over Blue River/Breckenridge Mountain

Lovetoclimb
08-03-2011, 05:22 PM
What are the odds I will need to be as packed down as you are there?

Would I encounter water/food stops and be okay with a vest and warmers?

97CSI
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
July on Trail Ridge Road. Judge for yourself. Stay below ~9000' and you'll be OK without extras. Has anyone suggested Mt. Evans? Highest ride in CO. Also, going up and then, especially, down, Poudre Canyon out of Ft. Collins is great. Believe that Slumgillion Pass out of Lake City is the highest pass you can ride. Not that steep, but quite long. Peter (oldpotatoe), who own's Vecchio's in Boulder can help you out with about anything you need in that town. He will recognize the guy on the right in the photo as a fellow 'old fart'.

gdw
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
A vest and warmers are good but bring a rain jacket if you plan to ride in the afternoon. Food and water are pretty easy to find on most routes but you should carry enough to last for at least two hours.

Bradford
08-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I didn't have a lot on that ride. I had a couple of cliff bars, 3 water bottles, a vest, and warmers. On that ride you can fill up at the gas station on the Fairplay side of Hoosier and at the restaurant in Como. There are fewer than 20 miles between stops. Just make sure you are fully hydrated before leaving each stop and two bottles will get you through.

I'll be leaving at sun rise to do the Copper Triangle, so that gets a little tricky. Two years ago it was around 30 at sunrise..the sweat was freezing on the outside of my fleece going up Freemont.

During Ride the Rockies in early June, I found arm warmers, knee warmers, and a vest was fine for most days. Leave early, it will be cold; leave late, tempt the fates with rain and lightning. Welcome to Colorado!

lemondsteel
08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I was out there years back and did Independence Pass from the Aspen side and back to Aspen. Great ride but................... my most memorable ride was Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction. It was used in the Red Zinger Classic and Coors Classic races. The views and drop offs are unbelievable. Plenty of climbing too. I did an out and back from Grand Junction. About 50 miles if I remember correctly. Can be awful warm if not done early in the AM.

FixedNotBroken
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM
July on Trail Ridge Road. Judge for yourself. Stay below ~9000' and you'll be OK without extras. Has anyone suggested Mt. Evans? Highest ride in CO. Also, going up and then, especially, down, Poudre Canyon out of Ft. Collins is great. Believe that Slumgillion Pass out of Lake City is the highest pass you can ride. Not that steep, but quite long. Peter (oldpotatoe), who own's Vecchio's in Boulder can help you out with about anything you need in that town. He will recognize the guy on the right in the photo as a fellow 'old fart'.

Love the bar tape :) :banana:

mgm777
08-04-2011, 01:59 AM
What are the odds I will need to be as packed down as you are there?

Would I encounter water/food stops and be okay with a vest and warmers?

This time of year in the Colorado high country, you can get by with arm warmers and a vest, only if you are disciplined about finishing your rides NLT 1:00 ish. Heed others' advice and start early and try to be off the bike before the thunder-boomers develop. If you're going to have a long day in the saddle, then I would also bring a good rain jacket. You will get very cold, very quick, if it starts to rain as you summit a 12,000 ft pass. If you are cold, you will start to shiver and shake. Not the best condition to be in for descending down the mountain in the rain.

flydhest
08-04-2011, 07:52 AM
There was a reference to riding in Ft. Collins and Poudre Canyon. I can attest to that being a lot of fun. Rist Canyon thereabouts is also a great climb. If you find yourself in Ft. Collins, Pro Velo bike shop, especially Greg the owner, has done very well by me when I am out there.
http://www.provelobikes.com/