PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to Cadel Evans's win at the Tour

cyclebencycling
08-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Fantastic essay written in response to a morning TV reporter's lengthy belittling retort on Cadel Evans's recent achievement.

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/07/an-open-letter-to-mia-freedman/

thinpin
08-02-2011, 10:31 PM
She made some good points but not very elegantly, but then shes not a writer I suppose.

dumbod
08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I know it won't be popular here but I'm with Mia Freedman. Cadel Evans rode a great race and deserved to win but, at the end of the day, he did something that someone has done every year for the last 100 odd years and, hopefully, will do for the next 100 years. The only thing that's historic is the accident of his birthplace. I don't know anyone who believes that he won because he was Australian. It was a great achievement for Cadel Evans. It's hard for me to see this as a great achievement for Australia.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure that I would have rooted for Evans if I were Australian (in the same way that I rooted for Greg Lemond) but that's not the point. The modern world spends way too much time worshiping sports and entertainment celebrities (Snookie? Any Kardashian?) and ignoring, or even belittling, people who have made genuine sacrifices for the good of others.

BumbleBeeDave
08-03-2011, 08:31 AM
. . . to the original televised interview? I can't seem to find one with the linked blog post. While I thought the response was well written, I really can't make any real judgment without being able to watch the interview she's responding to.

Thanks . . .

BBD

e-RICHIE
08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
. . . to the original televised interview? I can't seem to find one with the linked blog post. While I thought the response was well written, I really can't make any real judgment without being able to watch the interview she's responding to.

Thanks . . .

BBD

reading is fundamental atmo.
it's in the OP's link.
I went to your webpage, and proceeded to watch the footage of your morning chat with Karl on the Today Show about Cadel Evans’ historic victory in the Tour de France.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :cool: :cool:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
:) :) ;)

BumbleBeeDave
08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Yep, obviously missed that. I'll go watch it and thanks . . .

BBD

cmg
08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
just google Mia freedman, cadel evans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7las7vH3nU she has the paul mitchell sort of stance but improving the lives of others inspires us what inspires you.

Bob Loblaw
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Then again, by comparison, all Mia does is put on expensive clothes and demand attention by going on TV to badmouth things she doesn't understand and achievements that don't inspire her.

Maybe she and Cadel would both be doing the world a greater favor by going to Africa and digging latrines. Maybe all the world's performers, athletes, artists, and writers, should do the same. Or maybe not. (http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/04/cadel-evans-bmc-slr01-auction/).

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure that I would have rooted for Evans if I were Australian (in the same way that I rooted for Greg Lemond) but that's not the point. The modern world spends way too much time worshiping sports and entertainment celebrities (Snookie? Any Kardashian?) and ignoring, or even belittling, people who have made genuine sacrifices for the good of others.

thinpin
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Maybe she and Cadel would both be doing the world a greater favor by going to Africa and digging latrines.
Is this the charity work currently required in "Africa"?
Most big sports folk bring awareness and money to their chosen charities. While latrine digging may not be a strong point of many, using what talent they do have for bettering the world we live in is appropriate. :beer:

Lifelover
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Opinionception

People have strong opinions about her having a strong opinion about people having a strong opinion about Cadel winning.

Someone initiate the Kick!