PDA

View Full Version : Winter Training in Colorado

cyclebencycling
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Anyone know what training is like in the winter months of Colorado? Particularly Vail. My interest is for individuals who plan for 20+ hours of training a week over the winter months. Ie. What are the high level amateurs and pros doing during this time of the year? Can one actually get outside and train after snowplows, ect?

gdw
08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Winter is for cross-training. Riding is possible along the front range or far western part of the state but training in Vail or the mountains during the winter is best done on skis, snowshoes, a fat bike, or trainer. Road riding behind plows isn't advisable to put it mildly.

Idris Icabod
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I lived in Boulder and riding in winter was hit or miss, I remember riding in some pretty brutal conditions. I live in Tucson, AZ now and would recommend this location for winter training, we have long climbs that are usually ridable all winter (Mt. Lemmon for example). You should also look to S. California, it is beautiful there but perhaps it would be cheaper to find lodging in Tucson compared to San Diego.

Karin Kirk
08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I agree that training on a road bike in winter in a place like Vail is not ideal. It's lovely for skate skiing, skinning and other activities that are a natural fit for that location and season. Personally, I find that training "against the grain" (meaning trying to ride in a snowstorm while there is great skiing to be had) is an especially quick route to burnout.

Oh, and don't forget that the absolutely worst time of year in the mountains is the springtime. Wet, cold, late snow, minimal sunshine - all at the time of year when you ought to be ramping up your training. Not ideal.

cyclebencycling
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Noted, thanks. Moving closer to family in Seaside, CA is probably a better option.

Given the responses, I assume that all the pro roadies in Boulder are off somewhere warm to train? After a few weeks of winter down time and cross-training of course.

mgm777
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Winter is for cross-training. Riding is possible along the front range or far western part of the state but training in Vail or the mountains during the winter is best done on skis, snowshoes, a fat bike, or trainer. Road riding behind plows isn't advisable to put it mildly.

+1. Good advice. I live in the Boudler area can ride, mostly, throughout the winter, except just after a big snow storm. When the streets and trails are iffy, I just ride my 29er. However, I am in frequently in Vail and Beaver Creek during the winter, and couldn't imagine being able to get much road training in during the winter months. The roads and trails are pretty snow packed. Like gdw said, winter riding in CO is best on the front range. Road riding in the moutains, in the winter months, would be very, very challenging if not impossible.

MadRocketSci
08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
if you really want you can get one of these - the mukluk (http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk/)

rockdude
08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
In the big mountains, it gets tough maybe you need a pugsley. Here is the front range, I ride around 15-20 hours a week without a problem. I ride 6 days a week and in the last two years, I have only had to ride the dreaded trainer maybe 3 times a year. Snow days are my fav, cross bike and dirt roads ah the fun of it.

xjoex
08-03-2011, 08:37 AM
XC Skis would be your best bet, maybe get in to Tele!

But you can ride year round in the front range. I never owned studded mtn bike tires till I moved to the east coast.

-Joe

Ken Robb
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Noted, thanks. Moving closer to family in Seaside, CA is probably a better option.

Given the responses, I assume that all the pro roadies in Boulder are off somewhere warm to train? After a few weeks of winter down time and cross-training of course.

Seaside/Monterey area is lovely. You can ride year-round and the drive to ski slopes isn't too bad if that has appeal for you.

chuckred
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone know what training is like in the winter months of Colorado? Particularly Vail. My interest is for individuals who plan for 20+ hours of training a week over the winter months. Ie. What are the high level amateurs and pros doing during this time of the year? Can one actually get outside and train after snowplows, ect?
The front range (Denver, Boulder, Golden, etc.) is rideable much of the winter and usually without being too cold, and sometimes very pleasant.

Vail is not the place to be for winter cycling, but skiing is great there.