PDA

View Full Version : watch your bike racks...

crownjewelwl
08-02-2011, 08:48 AM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/08/01/police-investigating-rash-of-bike-rack-thefts-in-salem-beverly/

peeps are stealing anything these days...

AngryScientist
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
for some reason i cant get to that link at work, but any bike rack i use locks to the car....

Ken Robb
08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
link worked for me

AngryScientist
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
link worked for me

yea, it's probably something with our elaborate filtering system here, it's almost random what i can access and what i cant. odd.

bigflax925
08-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Angry, here's the text:

Police Investigating Rash Of Bike Rack Thefts In Salem, Beverly
August 1, 2011 5:25 PM

SALEM (CBS) – Bicycle racks are used to keep your bikes secure. But they may not be so secure themselves.

Authorities told the Eagle-Tribune that they have seen increasing reports of empty bike racks being stolen in Salem and Beverly. Police reports show three bike rack robberies in Salem last week and another two in Beverly last Tuesday.

“It seems to be the new trend all of a sudden,” Salem police prosecutor Lt. Conrad Prosniewski told the paper. “We don’t know if it’s one person or many persons.”

A quick search on Amazon.com shows that bike racks plus accessories can cost up to $1,000.

The Eagle-Tribune also reports that police arrested 21-year-old Luis D. Suarez in Salem, charging him with one of the thefts. Detectives matched the serial number from a victim’s key to the number on a stolen bike rack.

AngryScientist
08-02-2011, 09:28 AM
thanks for the text.

the "serial # ID" may be a bit of flawed evidence though, i think both yakima and thule only have about a dozen or two different key codes that you just get at random, so that could easily be just a coincidence. my Thule rack key opens, out of pure coincidence the BMW Thule rack i just bought, bonus!

bigflax925
08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
thanks for the text.

the "serial # ID" may be a bit of flawed evidence though, i think both yakima and thule only have about a dozen or two different key codes that you just get at random, so that could easily be just a coincidence. my Thule rack key opens, out of pure coincidence the BMW Thule rack i just bought, bonus!

Yes, you are right. I didn't know about Thule, but that half of the keys I have for my Yakima stuff have the same key code and open the same coded cores.

veloduffer
08-02-2011, 10:42 AM
This same rash of thefts occurred years ago in NYC (it happened to me), as it suddenly became cool to sport one on your car.

Not really much you can do to prevent it, except removing the rack from your car. The locks by Thule/Yakima are really just nuisance prevention, as any one really determined can foil those locks easily.

henry14
08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
My buddy and I have Yakima racks on our cars. For some reason, I left my key home after I locked my bike to the rack and drove out to meet him for a ride. When I couldn't find my key, he took a blind stab at using his Yakima key and after finagling the lock for a few minutes, he was able to unlock my lock. We double checked later and we had different key codes.
Nowadays if my bikes are locked on my rack, I always keep an eye on them.

FGC
08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Just in time for an evening crit in Beverly tomorrow night and another one in Salem next Wednesday.

Bruce K
08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Glad mine is in the garage for now :rolleyes:

BK

Ahneida Ride
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
except more and more crime as the federal reserve coupon is continually diluted and the working poor struggle for the necessities of life.

retrogrouchy
08-02-2011, 06:55 PM
except more and more crime as the federal reserve coupon is continually diluted and the working poor struggle for the necessities of life.

Simmer down nah!

Do you mean 'expect?'

learlove
08-02-2011, 07:02 PM
returning from a 4 day trip the other day in the employee lot at the PHL airport the rack (pickup truck bed rack) on my truck had been pulled up like someone was trying to take it but they couldn't get it out. I have since bolted it down. I may just remove the whole rack and just bolt the fork mounts to the truck bed rail.