PDA

View Full Version : Keo Blade problems

LiteFM
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I knew I should've gone with Speedplay but I'm having issues with my Keo Blade carbon pedals with stainless spindles. They're brand new and they creak... the body of the pedal also seems like it has a bit of wobbly play in it. Has anyone greased their spindles and is it possible to tighten whatever is loose in the body of the pedal? I see a plastic round thingie with teeth on it towards the inside of the pedal body... can this be tightened? Figured I'd ask here first before taking it to my LBS. Thanks for reading.

crownjewelwl
08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
are you sure it's the pedals and not the cleats?

i have blades with ti spindles and they are quiet. the only time ive ever heard any noise is with the grip cleats. the other cleats with the teflon are fine.

LiteFM
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm fairly certain it's not the cleats. I'm running the gray cleats with a bit of padding on them. I didn't have this problem when running standard Keo carbon pedals with the same cleats. I don't believe they're the grip variety. They came with the pedals. I might switch to the red ones?

crownjewelwl
08-01-2011, 08:06 PM
they come with the grip cleats which suck...they squeak and the grip doesnt last anyway

try either the red or grey with the teflon

BumbleBeeDave
08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
. . . but if you want to grease them you can get them apart with a regular wrench. This is an improvement on the Delta's, which required a special tool you had to special order.

I've taken to adding grease to every pair of LOOK's I buy after having problems with my old Delta pedals, taking the spindles out--and finding that LOOK apparently uses exactly 10 atoms of grease on every spindle straight from the factory. :crap:

BBD

LiteFM
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you both, I'll try the red cleats and greasing the pedals. I'll report back shortly. Side note: does anyone experience toe pain after long hours in the saddle? This might be a HTFU issue but just checking. I've heard that Speedplays distribute the pressure more evenly on the foot.

crownjewelwl
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
what shoes are you using? that'll probably make more of a diff

sounds like u really want to try speedplays...

LiteFM
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Sidi Genius 5 Pro. I also use Dominators for CX and never had any pain. I honestly just think I need to harden up. I've been putting a lot of miles in lately... more than ever actually so I think I just need to embrace the pain!

Charles M
08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Your pedals wont cause toe pain. your cleat placement might in the case that ther are not placed right or fixed and slightly out of alignment

I would remeasure and adjust (in the case only the pedals and cleats are new).

LiteFM
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I guess I'll tinker with the placement but I don't know where to begin! My right foot is fine...