PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2011 BMW X3 interior space?

BlackTiBob
08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi,
I currently own a Mercedes 2005 ML 500 but am considering a new rig in the next year.
My bike finds very nicely on its side, with the back seats folded down.

The 2011 BMW X3 has grown bigger. Will a bike fit on its side in the back, with both wheels still on? I don't want to pull the front wheel.
Thanks

The X3 3.5i with the 300 hp turbo six seems pretty sweet and I believe it's rated at 26 or 27 mpg highway ( even higher than the NA six).

Also, for X3 owners, what do you think of it???
Bob

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I have had Honda Pilots for years and while the 2011 is bigger, the changes in the storage of 3rd row seat, when it is down, has raised the floor just a little -so the bike has to lean more due to less distance between headliner and floor than the prior one. I can put my bike, laying down in our PILOT.

The 3 series, I have, works well with bike but front wheel comes off.

The X3 is based on a 3 series floor so it will be close, best to check one on a demo first.

The new x3 has really improved/ Neighbor likes his, but he is not a biker and has never carried a bike.

The Honda Pilot is wonderful for what I use it for (and then for other times, we have a V8 M3 :D

Rockfish
08-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a '07 X3. I can almost get my 60cm Rivendell in with both wheels on. Length is the issue as much as width. The '11's are a good bit bigger I think.
My '07 is just OK - I bought it CPO and am glad I didn't spend retail on it but again the new ones are very different.
I've never seen anything close to the advertised hwy mileage on ours, even on pure highway road trips. My 3 series sedan, however, does better than advertised in most situations. Go figure.

dd74
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I'd go for the X-5 turbo diesel. More power (torque), better fuel mileage, potential federal tax break for using clean diesel technology.

Fits a bicycle better, too, as the X-5 is larger.

Charles M
08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi,
Will a bike fit on its side in the back, with both wheels still on? I don't want to pull the front wheel.
Thanks

The X3 3.5i with the 300 hp turbo six seems pretty sweet and I believe it's rated at 26 or 27 mpg highway ( even higher than the NA six).

Also, for X3 owners, what do you think of it???
Bob

I think taking the engine from my 11' 135 and dropping it in the 08'X3 would be neat.

That said, you would have to put both seats down to get a bike in the back without taking at least the front wheel off in the new X3, just like the old.

It's not notably larger in practice... But then removing the front wheel is so easy, who cares...

The handling is great but being honest, I would rather have a 335 wagon than an x3.5. The body roll is too much to enjoy that motor much.

And Gas milage will NOT be above 23 in any of the turbo's any place but the highway (where it will be close to 23).

BlackTiBob
08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I'd go for the X-5 turbo diesel. More power (torque), better fuel mileage, potential federal tax break for using clean diesel technology.

Fits a bicycle better, too, as the X-5 is larger.

Thanks,
I am considering the X5 turbo diesel but am disappointed they didn't go with the 8 speed tranny....
X3 is appealing as it's 800? lbs lighter so more agile and I think hwy mpg with X3 300 hp gas turbo is almost equal to X5 diesel.
Also thinking of new Mercedes ML diesel (out in Sept?) and VW Touareg diesel

Charles M
08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
It's not...(gas milage). any of the 35's need to be driven a lot more tame than anyone that has any interest in the 300HP and 300lbft of torque would drive them.

BlackTiBob
08-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I wonder what the X5 diesel gets for real world on the highway, as in cruising from MN to Texas for Hell Week?

Touareg diesels appear to be capable of 30 + mpg at 65/70 mph, real world reports. They are rated at 28 mpg hwy.

Can X5 d beat it's hwy rating of 26??

Another interesting option is that VW Touareg will likely get 4.2 diesel in 2012. 340+ HP and a gazillion lb-ft of torque.

Never owned a diesel but these newest ones are very tempting.

jlwdm
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Bought the X5 this weekend. Needed a little more rear seat leg room than my FX35.

Jeff

BlackTiBob
08-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Bought the X5 this weekend. Needed a little more rear seat leg room than my FX35.

Jeff

Diesel or gasser?
Please let folks know what you think of it as you get a few miles on it.

jlwdm
08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Drove both but went with the 2012 gas; 2012 diesel is not out yet.

Jeff

dd74
08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I wonder what the X5 diesel gets for real world on the highway, as in cruising from MN to Texas for Hell Week?

Touareg diesels appear to be capable of 30 + mpg at 65/70 mph, real world reports. They are rated at 28 mpg hwy.

Can X5 d beat it's hwy rating of 26??

Another interesting option is that VW Touareg will likely get 4.2 diesel in 2012. 340+ HP and a gazillion lb-ft of torque.

Never owned a diesel but these newest ones are very tempting.
We have a ML 320 turbo diesel, and we get a consistent 30+ mpg on the highway, not to mention almost 400 lbs of torque. I've outrun 5.0 Mustangs with it.

I bet the BMW could go between MN and TX on one tank. Cruising range on our MB is over 600 miles.

At any rate, the BMW turbo diesel is much more powerful than the Mercedes in its class. It actually behaves like a gasoline engine in that I think it redlines at 5,500 RPM - which is actually only 1,000 RPM less than Audi's LeMans turbo diesel race car. I think the BMW has something closing on 500 lbs of torque, though I'm not sure.

The VW Touareg is a beast, particularly if you can get a V-10 turbo diesel, though those are highly coveted.

I truly believe turbo diesel is the next "hot rod," but with sensibilities toward MPG, the environment and the type of driving most of us would do in a real-world situation. Americans, by and large, are the most ignorant lot when it comes to diesel. They'd rather be sold a bill of (political) goods re. hybrids, which are, ironically, horrifically environmentally unfriendly vehicles. At least with a modern diesel, you can have an option to fuel it with vegetable oil.

In short, hybrids can't compete with diesels. In fact, diesels get consistently better fuel mileage while developing much, much, much more power and sustained speed.

Look at it this way: the BMW 335 diesel is almost as fast as the 335i, but with a manual as BMW doesn't produce a transmission strong enough to withstand the diesel's torque. That and almost twice the mpg, and it's a no brainer.

dd74
08-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Drove both but went with the 2012 gas; 2012 diesel is not out yet.

Jeff
Yes, they are. One was on my street a couple nights ago. Gorgeous in dark blue with the 18-inch wheel package.

dd74
08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Touareg in action, pulling a 747 --

Touareg's are also raced extensively in off road endurance events. There's video somewhere of one tearing it up on Pikes Peak.

Rockfish
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
+1
If your goal is to carry a bike inside and get good mileage you'd be better off with a wagon - BMW, Audi and MB all make very nice ones that handle better and get better mileage that any of the "trucks" including the diesels.
Wagons are so under-appreciated IMHO! :)

I think taking the engine from my 11' 135 and dropping it in the 08'X3 would be neat.

That said, you would have to put both seats down to get a bike in the back without taking at least the front wheel off in the new X3, just like the old.

It's not notably larger in practice... But then removing the front wheel is so easy, who cares...

The handling is great but being honest, I would rather have a 335 wagon than an x3.5. The body roll is too much to enjoy that motor much.

And Gas milage will NOT be above 23 in any of the turbo's any place but the highway (where it will be close to 23).

dd74
08-02-2011, 01:32 PM
You could get a diesel Volkswagen wagon, and trump the diesel BMWs and MBs.

dd74
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
BlackTIBob, check out this link to see what manufacturers have and will offer diesel in the U.S. in 2011-12.

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2012-usa-diesel-cars.htm

jlwdm
08-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, they are. One was on my street a couple nights ago. Gorgeous in dark blue with the 18-inch wheel package.

Really, I just checked one of the BMW forums and it said production starts in October 2011. Did not do any major research.

Jeff

DHallerman
08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
The 2011 BMW X3 has grown bigger. Will a bike fit on its side in the back, with both wheels still on? I don't want to pull the front wheel

Heck, with my Volkswagen GTI hatchback, I can fit my 56cm bike in the back, on its side, with both wheels on.

That is with the rear seats down, but still.

I kinda think of the GTI with the rear seats down like a sports-car-wagon.

So, if I can fit in one bike in a small hatch, I would think the BMW X3 should be easy for that. Or are you thinking with the rear seats still up?

Dave, who along with his wife took their bikes to the car dealers when they bought their current SUV since they wanted one where both bikes fit inside basically standing up

Dlevy05
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd look at the Audi Q5 if you want a small SUV.

Also, the touareg and cayenne are amazing beasts, especially the diesel touareg.

As far as an x5 would compare, well, I'd only consider the diesel, and that's if I consciously wanted to forfeit off-road prowess. The Merc, well, that's just overpriced, in my opinion, and offers nothing to trump the competition.