PDA

View Full Version : Deer

Vientomas
08-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I thought I would share a close call I had on Saturday.

I was about 10 miles into a 40 mile ride and had just finished a substantial uphill. I crested the top and shifted to the big ring and was starting to pick up some good speed going downhill. Just as I was about to get into a tuck, I saw a young deer crossing the road up ahead. It stopped, looked at me, and then continued to move from right to left off the edge of the road. I applied a bit of brake but I was still moving along quite well. I suspected that there would be at least one other deer nearby and I hoped it, or they, had already crossed the road. Nope. Just as I reached the point where deer No. 1 had left the road, a larger deer appeared out of the trees just ahead on my right on a trajectory to cross the road right in front of me. When it saw me it got spooked and began to run parallel to the road next to me and it looked as if it was going to try to cross in front of me. I tried to accelerate ahead of the deer without success. As the deer and I were speeding down the road next to each other I was thinking to myself: "No, deer don't cross in front of me. No, deer don't do it. No, don't do it. No. No." Finally, instead of just thinking it, I yelled as loud as I could "NOOOOOOOO" and and the deer ran away from the road leaving me to descend in relative peace.

The remainder of the ride was thankfully uneventful.

dave thompson
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I had to stop for a moose crossing the path last month. They are very big!

aosty
08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Something similar happened to me with a pack of cows.... but offroad and lasted several miles. Cows are dumb. :rolleyes: :o

konstantkarma
08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Fawn crossings here. 2 in the last week. They are always followed by momma so I always slow down.

fmbp
08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I love seeing deer on rides, but man oh man are they ever dumb. I find it safest for me to expect that they'll do something stupid.

bart998
08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I had a close call with a cow standing in the road on a long descent during a solo ride, and a horse that decided to run with the pack during a road race.

Fixed
08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
had to stop for an alligator once
cheers

CunegoFan
08-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I had to stop for a moose crossing the path last month. They are very big!
Ditto. I rounded a corner during a switchbacked descent and found a moose standing in the middle of the road. I stopped and waited for it to walk off the road.

mike p
08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I live in deer central. I've almost hit them many times but have been lucky so far. Have two friends who have connected, one with horrific results. Got to watch those 50 to 60mph down hills!

Mike

2LeftCleats
08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Coyote, deer, vulture, and turtle in a 10 mile stretch last week

beungood
08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
cheers

I think that trumped all other animals!

I was out doing a short 21 mile hill repeat loop in the Blue Hills. The climbs are long steep and punishing but, the decents on the other side are the payoff. Except for tonight, as I rocketed around a sharp turn 2 fawn on either side of the road...I was wondering if the reputation of toughness the Serotta F1 fork has would survive broadsiding one of those fawns..

LesMiner
08-02-2011, 07:08 AM
I have had several encounters with deer along the road side. The scary encounter was while I was riding a bike path. A huge buck stopped in the middle of the path. I managed to stop about 10 feet from him. He just stood and stared at me. I thought "what will I do if he charges me?" Finally he snorted at me and casually walked off. In another incident on another bike path, a farmer's young bull was out loose. I was startled when he came up behind me. I accelerated as hard as possible. That little bull chased me for a quarter mile or so.

rustychain
08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
A few years ago I was going along at approx 25 mph at 11:00 am on a sunny fall day on a well used bike path. I saw a blur of gray before I hit what felt like a brick wall. I went down very hard, I heard the crunch of breaking bones. I had hit a good sized buck straight in the side as it jumped directly into my path. I was face down for about ten minutes before help arrived. I was removed to the hospital on a body board. My face required stitches, cuts and missing skin, broken elbow, broken wrist and a hoof print on my back were the deer kicked me before it ran away. My whole body was brused. I'm sure the deer was badly hurt, 200 LBs at 25 mph in the ribs has got to do some damage. The bike needed around $600 in repairs, clothes were ruined and glasses ruined and I was unable to ride for several months. Lucky as it could have been much worse.
If you see any deer, bear, etc I suggest you stop and keep away. Suckers hurt!

Vientomas
08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
a hoof print on my back were the deer kicked me before it ran away.

I know it's not funny, but damn that made me laugh. Talk about kicking 'em when they're down. Maybe he was mad that you hit him.

tiretrax
08-02-2011, 09:31 AM
you're lucky he didn't try to gore you with his horns!

one should never try to outrun a deer - they can go up to 40 mph with ease and run at that speed for a mile.

i was in pacific grove, california two weeks ago and three crossed in front of me. i slowed to a crawl. however, the scariest thing i've encountered is a rattle snake crossing a road. needless to say, i swerved well away from it.

A few years ago I was going along at approx 25 mph at 11:00 am on a sunny fall day on a well used bike path. I saw a blur of gray before I hit what felt like a brick wall. I went down very hard, I heard the crunch of breaking bones. I had hit a good sized buck straight in the side as it jumped directly into my path. I was face down for about ten minutes before help arrived. I was removed to the hospital on a body board. My face required stitches, cuts and missing skin, broken elbow, broken wrist and a hoof print on my back were the deer kicked me before it ran away. My whole body was brused. I'm sure the deer was badly hurt, 200 LBs at 25 mph in the ribs has got to do some damage. The bike needed around $600 in repairs, clothes were ruined and glasses ruined and I was unable to ride for several months. Lucky as it could have been much worse.
If you see any deer, bear, etc I suggest you stop and keep away. Suckers hurt!

rustychain
08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Well my wife considered it funny.

I once was climbing the Skyline drive and had just about arrived at the top of a four and one half mile climb. I was tired and looking at my front tire as I went around a bend. Looking up I see a momma bear and two cubs maybe thirty feet away. I got off my bike ( could not stomach going back down the hill) and kept the bike between me and the bear. Mamma and I got into a staring contest for what felt like miniutes. Finally I got smart and looked down in a submissive way. Mamma was now happy and walked away.

I also got into a staring contest once with a turkey vulture. It would not get out of my way. Somehow I knew that loosing a staring contest with a vulture could be bad mojo

toaster
08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Good thing you yelled at it!

zap
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
On my mid-day ride today I rode into the rear of a vulture as it was trying to gain speed/altitude.

Xhit we ride into sometimes. :rolleyes:

bozman
08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
cheers

I vote this as the unofficial winner.

I was descending Deer Creek Canyon and came around the corner to find a full-size female deer standing next to the road on my side. I put a skid on the road and in my bibs.

rustychain
08-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Vulture butt.......yuck
Sorry dude

rustychain
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I was following in a paceline behind a friend on his new kysrium wheelset. A chipmunk ran accross and didn't make it past my friends back wheel. I ducked as the two halves flew past me. BTW his wheel was still true

cyclebencycling
08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Glad to know that you came out alright after your encounter. I have heard a few stories about deer and have one of my own;

1) Yelling was probably the best thing to do. Mountain biker friend of mine finds that deer often run alongside him on the trails. They do not seem to realize what he is until he puts a foot down or pulls a camera out to take a photo. Only then do they turn and run away.

2) My own encounter was 7 weeks ago in a Pro,1,2 criterium. I hit and killed a full grown doe (T-boned, around 250 lbs) at 30mph. In a smaller break up the road so fewer people were hurt than could have been. Barely anyone saw her jump out from the trees. The result was a concussion and major soft tissue damage. Almost everyone saw the deer hobble back to the tree line, collapse, and die. My first words were something like, somebody smoke that 'B' I think I am hungry. Been on the bike two weeks now and still getting gear together for my race steed. Still harboring a little hostility towards any deer I see but it is getting better. Yelling, not really an option here... Probably should have taken my camera out.

William
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Between living in central Rhode Island, and Oregon I've had many close calls with Deer over the years. What do I do? I bark like a dog!! It works. Every time I've seen one, a couple of barks sends them scurrying into the woods. And if I'm flying down a wooded decent where I suspect there might be Deer... I bark all the way down.

Of course it makes me smile so even if there weren't Deer around I would probably do it anyway. ;)

William

rustychain
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Funny you mentioned still being a bit pissed at deer. Several weeks after I hit the deer I was driving home and a deer jumped in front of the car. Not super close but enough that I slammed on the brakes. I found myself swearing in the most unpleasant terms and loud terms. Something I don't usually do. Just a bit of pent up rage I guess. Glad your recovering. It was suggested that I find one of those Prussian helmets with the spike on top next time I go "deer hunting"!