PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it real - Boulder trip

SamIAm
08-01-2011, 01:20 PM
One thing I really like about this forum is that many of my connections to other members are real, not virtual.

Case in point was our recent trip to Boulder.

We met "Whitcomusa" at Classic Rendezvous this year. He was kind enough to provide us with the places to eat and ride in Boulder. The 3 must do cycling routes came from him and he nailed them, epic, scenic, challenging and varied.

Also at CR was Dave Wages who built me a 650b DRB (Dirt Road Bike) for adventures just like this, a bike that was at home going up and down on the road, but also perfectly suited for some offroad adventures along the Switzerland trail. He worked overtime getting it built and built up in time for this trip.

Enter OldPotatoe, who was gracious enough to receive all 4 of our bikes at his shop the Friday before the Monday of our first ride. He got them all built up, fixed the various defects that had occurred during shipping and stored the 4 bulky boxes in his "cozy" shop. Big thanks to him.

Next up, Firerescuefin, drove all the way up/down from Denver in rush hour traffic to lead us on a ride followed by lunch and a beer on Pearl St. Great ride with, in his words, only 1500' of climbing, unfortunately all 1500' ft were in the span of 3-4 miles. That's not what we call 1500' here in Atlanta. But he was ever patient as we slogged up it.

A couple pictures

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ent9qb.jpg

Firerescuefin on the left, me on the right, my buddy Walt in the middle.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vdseu9.jpg

Me on the Ellis DRB.

http://i52.tinypic.com/33m5w1d.jpg

My wife and I just before going up Berthoud pass to Mt. Flora. This is a gorgeous hike if you are ever in the area.

Big thanks to all from my wife and me.

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for sharing these with us...... THe smiles you all have is wonderful to see.

Now back to the oven of the south, PETE

Johny
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Rob, Glad to see Sydney and you, friends and forumites have a good time. This is what it is all about.

My Goodrich D2R2 bike is being painted by Curt currently. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=94063 Many Thanks!

John

Johny
08-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh, I got the same orange Goodrich hat. :)

mgm777
08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Glad you had a nice time in the PRB. Which rides did you decide to do?

SamIAm
08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Glad you had a nice time in the PRB. Which rides did you decide to do?

Here are 3 of the rides with descriptions courtesy of whitcombusa

Classic Boulder (just under 50 miles, maybe 4500 ft. of climbing, amazing views!)

Take north Broadway (Rt 7) North to Lee Hill Dr., turn Left . Stay on this all the way till it ends at Lefthand Canyon Dr. turn left UP the canyon. Follow this wonderful road up, up, UP till you come to the interesting "town" of Ward. There are a couple of small general store type places for coffee, snacks etc. This is agreat place to catch your breath and see the sights (you'll understand better once you have SEEN Ward!) You have just climbed 4000 ft in 20 miles.

From the "center" of Ward continue up the same road a short distance to the Peak to Peak Hwy.(Rt 72) turn left and you will ride the ridge at around 9-10k feet to the town of Nederland 12 miles away. This is one sweet piece of road for cycling!
Once in ned there is a great spot for lunch (actually many) called the Pioneer Inn, a favorite of mine. You can look around town too but then take Boulder Canyon Rd. (RT 119) the 17 miles back DOWN the canyon into Boulder. This is down hill all the way into town. Make sure those brakes are working well!

The climb up is fairly gradual. But is does go on and on!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flagstaff (great shorter ride, 11 miles each way, still climbing and views)

Take Baseline Rd. west off of Broadway (uphill) past Chautauqua Park which turns to Flagstaff Mt. Rd. Follow this up the switchbacked road (past the really nice restaurant) to the Summit Rd. on your right. Go down to the sunrise amphitheatre for a great view of Boulder. Go back out the way you came in and then turn right continuing up Flagstaff Mt Rd. You'll pass Kossler lake on your left and then Walker Ranch park. You will come to Gross Dam Rd entrance on your left. Check out the view, take a break, maybe a pick-nick lunch. Then it's back the way you came to Boulder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunset (this is one of my very favorite rides!) around 30 miles, DIRT for much of it. This one will take your breath away on so many levels!!!

Get on the Boulder Creek Bike Path heading west up towards the Canyon. This ends and you cross Rt 119 (Boulder Canyon Dr) Across the road you will see Four Mile Canyon Dr., head up that road. You will soon pass the Boulder Mt. Lodge, continue on up the road. After awhile you will turn left following Four Mile Canyon Dr. where Gold Run Rd. goes straight up the hill. Soon it will turn to dirt and continues a gradual climb. You will pass a few gold mines still active by locals on the right side as you get closer to the "town" of Sunset. You will come to a triangle in the road with a mining ore cart. THIS is the center of Sunset!. Turn around and a very short distance back with be a dirt "trail" in your left heading into the mountains. This is the Switzerland trail, an old narrow gage mining railroad bed trail. This is an amazing section to ride! Enjoy these views as you climb gradually up this switchbacked path in the wilderness. Follow this until you cross Gold Hill Rd. (CO Hwy 52) turn right and take this dirt road into the town of Gold Hill ( 8300 ft. population 230) There is a general store and the Gold Hill Inn as well. After looking around there, continue the same way crossing Gold Run Rd. and continuing straight on Horsfall St/Sunshine Canyon Dr. This has some great views down into Boulder but watch the road as this decent is somewhat challenging. Again make sure your brakes are working well FIRST (you're not in Kansas anymore! I know it's Atlanta....but you know what I mean!)

------------------------------------------------------------------

SamIAm
08-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh, I got the same orange Goodrich hat. :)

Ha, mine is courtesy of Serotta Pete.

Lovetoclimb
08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
OldPotatoe was instrumental in setting me on this route. WARD is indeed a unique place and only after I had moved on and returned to Peter's shop was I informed there is a WARD resident who wears a suit of armor and challenges passers-by to duels. Shame I missed that.

SamIAm
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
OldPotatoe was instrumental in setting me on this route. WARD is indeed a unique place and only after I had moved on and returned to Peter's shop was I informed there is a WARD resident who wears a suit of armor and challenges passers-by to duels. Shame I missed that.

I have to be honest, after that last 1 mile or so pitch up to Ward, I would not have been up to a duel. I would have asked for quarters.

There was a posting at the general store asking for witnesses to a fight that had occurred there the previous evening. Ward sounds like a wild and wooly town.

mgm777
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Ward - a very unique town. I will leave it at that.

witcombusa
08-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Looks like you guys had a great trip! One thing about Colorado cycling trips,
by the time you head home, your legs are complete toast, there are just too many great rides out there :D

How did you like the 650b's on the Switzerland Trail? That is such an awesome section to ride :banana:

SamIAm
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Looks like you guys had a great trip! One thing about Colorado cycling trips,
by the time you head home, your legs are complete toast, there are just too many great rides out there :D

How did you like the 650b's on the Switzerland Trail? That is such an awesome section to ride :banana:

Well, I did it with Pacenti Pari-motos, but it was still quite challenging. Knobbies would have been better.

mgm777
08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
For me, descending from Gold Hill to Sunshine, on the dirt road section, with a road bike, is a white-knuckle experience.

witcombusa
08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, I did it with Pacenti Pari-motos, but it was still quite challenging. Knobbies would have been better.

What were you running for tire pressures?

My CO travel bike has 700 x 35's @ 60psi they are perfect so long as it's not too wet in the dirt....which doesn't happen often out there in the Summer!

If you head out there again I've got some real interesting places for you on those 650's!!!

GRAVELBIKE
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Move along people, nothing to see here... There's no good riding in/around Boulder. Nope, none at all.

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/07-31-2011a2.jpg

(Snapped that pic on Sunday's mixed-terrain ride.)

witcombusa
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
For me, descending from Gold Hill to Sunshine, on the dirt road section, with a road bike, is a white-knuckle experience.

I always go up to Gold Hill on the Switzerland and down Sunshine Canyon. Yeah on 23 or 25mm tires it would not be near as much fun! And good brakes are NOT optional.

Have you ever ridden up to Eye of the Needle? I park in Rollinsville, pedal to the East Portal, then Rollins Pass road up to the summit. If you have the time, down the other side take Corona Pass to Winter Park and stay over, then back the next day. Coming down Rollins Pass Rd on ANYTHING short of a full suspension mtb is "interesting" ;) . And you can really spin out a big gear from the portal down to Rollinsville :D

witcombusa
08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Move along people, nothing to see here... There's no good riding in/around Boulder. Nope, none at all.

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/07-31-2011a2.jpg

(Snapped that pic on Sunday's mixed-terrain ride.)

Oh, right! What was I thinking. ;)

SamIAm
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
What were you running for tire pressures?

My CO travel bike has 700 x 35's @ 60psi they are perfect so long as it's not too wet in the dirt....which doesn't happen often out there in the Summer!

If you head out there again I've got some real interesting places for you on those 650's!!!
I think I had them at 70 PSI. It was bone dry as expected, but it required me to pay more attention to the trail than I wanted. Would have prefered to focus on the scenery more. But regardless it was a great ride.

Bradford
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
My wife and I just before going up Berthoud pass to Mt. Flora. This is a gorgeous hike if you are ever in the area.
Hike? You mean without a bike? You didn't ride Berthoud? :D

Berthoud is a great ride, I did it for the first time this year, starting in Granby and ending in Georgetown. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Oh well, something for the list next time you come out here.

mgm777
08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I always go up to Gold Hill on the Switzerland and down Sunshine Canyon. Yeah on 23 or 25mm tires it would not be near as much fun! And good brakes are NOT optional.

Have you ever ridden up to Eye of the Needle? I park in Rollinsville, pedal to the East Portal, then Rollins Pass road up to the summit. If you have the time, down the other side take Corona Pass to Winter Park and stay over, then back the next day. Coming down Rollins Pass Rd on ANYTHING short of a full suspension mtb is "interesting" ;) . And you can really spin out a big gear from the portal down to Rollinsville :D

I am going to take you up on your suggestion and ride it on my 29er in the next couple of days. I will report back on how the small block 8s hold up. Should be fun and exciting. I am finished with high speed dirt road descents on slick, wimpy 23s. Too scary for me. ;)

firerescuefin
08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Had a blast riding with Rob, Mrs. Rob ;) , and friends. Great riding and even better conversation. Rob has definitely affected friends' riding preferences as Ellis, Strong, and Bedford bikes were not in short supply.

Warning regarding Rob. Don't let the smile and nice bikes fool you, bro has a twin cummins turbo diesel under the hood.....relentlessly strong.

Can't wait to do it again (here or there)...now time to start working on Rob to do the TBP next year.

GRAVELBIKE
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
For folks who are interested in combining paved an un-paved riding, I wrote up a brief guide on selecting suitable tires.

You can read it here:
Mixed-Terrain Tire Primer (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=146)

SamIAm
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Had a blast riding with Rob, Mrs. Rob ;) , and friends. Great riding and even better conversation. Rob has definitely affected friends' riding preferences as Ellis, Strong, and Bedford bikes were not in short supply.

Warning regarding Rob. Don't let the smile and nice bikes fool you, bro has a twin cummins turbo diesel under the hood.....relentlessly strong.

Can't wait to do it again (here or there)...now time to start working on Rob to do the TBP next year.

Thanks for the kind words, but my recollection is a bit different. As I recall, you had slowed down or stopped to check on the rest of the group. I took that opportunity to make a break for the top, figuring that once I was out of sight, I could slow down or even stop and no one would be the wiser. Five minutes into my plan, you were right there with me and doing the unthinkable, carrying on a conversation!

GRAVELBIKE
08-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Taken this morning going up Fourmile Canyon:
http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/08-06-2011-300x225.jpg

Full-size image here:
Fourmile Canyon (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=196)