PDA

View Full Version : Any bike shops in Vancouver, BC worth visiting after RSVP?

Christian.
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
We will end up in Vancouver, BC on the 6th after completing the ~188 mile ride from Seattle (http://shop.cascade.org/content/events/rsvp-details) starting on the 5th.

I am interested in any bike shops, tracks, etc. worth visiting while we are in town. A friend of mine says they have a great MTB park just outside of town so we may go there. Any other suggestions, bike, fun, must see, etc. or food related?

Thanks,
Christian.

Lovetoclimb
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Check out Grouse Mountain, do the Grouse Grind if you fancy a non-bike related challenge. I went after it so simulate a criterium, harder than any 40 minute race I have ever done!

d_douglas
08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
This is hallowed ground for xxxtreme MTBing - if you are comfortable on an MTB, try some of the crazy stunts on Mt Seymour to start. There are secondary routes for pussies like me who cannot handle the highwire-act riding that abounds here. Alternatively, get a coffee and chill out in the sun (or possibly the rain) on Jericho Beach - a great big beach in the middle of the city.

Otherwise, hit Solly's Bakery for the best cinnamon bun you have ever eaten in your life (I truly miss these) and try out Toshi sushi on Main and 16th - great, affordable sushi.

As for cool shops, check out Dream Cycles on Commercial Drive - hipster joint, but with its fair share of IFs, Vicious Cycles, etc. Also check out Mityriders on West Broadway - very eclectic and the owner knows his stuff.

Avoid Il Campione (shady road shop) but have a look at La Bicicletta, which has been around for years. No deals to speak of, but very knowledgeable staff, I would say.

Christian.
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks greatly for the suggestions thus far. I will let you know how things pan out after the ride.

Christian.

qjetha
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Have dinner at the Naam. Really good trendy vegetarian restaurant - open 24 hours too so it can be a late night dinner :)

Enjoy the Couver. :banana:

Lovetoclimb
08-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Ate there 3 times in 4 days. Then I discovered East is East. Another incredible place to sit down and enjoy an overall dining experience.

I think I have Vancouver withdrawal . . .

d_douglas
08-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Yes, Vang is a diner's paradise. Also try Gu - whacky Korean cuisine.

But overall, sushi is the one thing not to miss. If you are up for it, try Tojo's (not Toshi's as mentioned above). I have actually never gone, BUT Tojo is one of the most famous old school sushi masters in the entire world. It is obviously expensive, but it is like eating at a JaPanese Michelin starred restaurant. If you love sushi it might be worth it ( I will try it one day in my life)

Have fun and try to chill out on Jericho beach - my favorite spot in Vancouver

I miss home. Soon enough, I am moving back.

Cheers

Darren

noflysonme
08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Celebration of lights fireworks on the 6th.

Wreck beach for nudists.

Vancouver has a lot of great restaurants and greasy spoons. Go wild!!!

Ride the seawall but only if you enjoy scenic views and/or folks in bathing suits. You cannot ride fast as there will be mega tourists here.

Whistler is the mtb park 1.5 hrs north of Vancouver.

If you are used to wearing armor and airtime, it's for you.

If not, don't waste your time and money.

If you have never ridden a dualie, then SFU [burnaby]is good for

beginners. Low level elevated ramps. Lower Burke mtn [coquitlam] is good too.

The north shore is not for beginners but has a few technical xc trails. If you are used to riding downhill with your butt behind

your seat, you will have fun here.

There are some non-technical trails on the shore too and you can ride a gravel trail all the way to grouse mtn.

Have fun!!!!