PDA

View Full Version : Campy seat binder bolt snapped

Joachim
08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
After regreasing my seatpost this weekend, I broke/snapped the Campy seat binder bolt on my MX Leader. I ordered a replacement from Oldpotatoe, but would like to know if anyone else experienced something similar? I did not use excessive force (I have the upper body strength of Rasmussen) and was surprised at ease of breakage.

davidlee
08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
ahem, torque wrench buddy. :beer:

Gummee
08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
That would be a Campy binder bolt for you.

I always keep at least one spare.

M

biker72
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I've had no problems on 3 different bikes with Campy seat binder bolts.

ahumblecycler
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
It happens ... as stated above keep an extra if possible.

Joachim
08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
ahem, torque wrench buddy. :beer:

You have seen my arms...I can't even reach that kind of torque. But I'll get the torque wrench out the next time.

Just saw on Park Tool website, they recommend 4-6.7nM.

jr59
08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I always keep 3 around.
1 in the bike and 2 spares.

They break easy and it's never the correct time for it to break.

thwart
08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Is it a new bolt?

If not, see the thread here on fractured 30 year old steel frames. Old, frequently and heavily stressed steel can indeed fail.

Joachim
08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Is it a new bolt?

If not, see the thread here on fractured 30 year old steel frames. Old, frequently and heavily stressed steel can indeed fail.

Nope, came with the frame, so could be up to 16-ish years old.

thwart
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow... 7 replies in 3 minutes. Wonder what that means... ?

Joachim
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
It happens ... as stated above keep an extra if possible.

Yes, ordered two backups...

Joachim
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM

1) It has happened frequently before
2) I'm being accepted as a forum member
3) Work is slow on a Monday
4) People like when someone's metal parts snap

flydhest
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
ROTFLMAO . . . LMAO!!!

because it is not just me . . . :(

I have only done this three times. :crap:

Joachim
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
ROTFLMAO . . . LMAO!!!

because it is not just me . . . :(

I have only done this three times. :crap:

Now I don't feel like a total idiot...or maybe we are part of a handful of idiots.

retrogrouchy
08-01-2011, 11:48 AM

It's too hot to be out riding?

fiamme red
08-01-2011, 11:50 AM
It's happened to me too, just before the start of a 400km brevet. Lowered my saddle a bit, tightened the bolt carefully, then -- SNAP! :crap:

Since then, I've replaced my Campagnolo seatpost binder bolts with Sugino.

cassa
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
After regreasing my seatpost this weekend, I broke/snapped the Campy seat binder bolt ...
Happened to me once too. The trusted guy at the shop told me to be sure to grease the threads next time, to reduce the risk of the threads binding. Now, if I ever loosen the bolt, I remove it and grease the threads before I tighten again.

zetroc
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I forget who said it, but I think I read a post somewhere saying that if you run a tap through the Campy bolts there cease to be problems. Haven't tried it myself.

Idris Icabod
08-01-2011, 12:33 PM
My buddy snapped 2 and he was using a torque wrench.

ahumblecycler
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I responded and yes I have done it but not to a Campy binder ... and yes I was using a torque wrench. I was just glad I was not on the bike at the time.

e-RICHIE
08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I forget who said it, but I think I read a post somewhere saying that if you run a tap through the Campy bolts there cease to be problems. Haven't tried it myself.
i said it, and have done it going back to the no-lugs-left-behind days atmo. these parts have remained unchanged for generations and the seat lug ears that have been typical since the late 80s bear little resemblance to what came before. use a common 6mm X 1 tap and it takes all of 20-22 seconds to complete the drill. also, i jettison the chrome washer that's supplied with it and have my own smaller diameter stainless versions that mate with the counter-bore in the seat lug's right (and/or left) hand sides. funny, after all the changes, it's the only campagnolo part i still use on my bicycles.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :) :rolleyes:
:) :) :rolleyes:
:) :) ;)

Muttleyone
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Funny I just snapped mine last week and on my MAX frame to boot. It scared the crap out of me at first because when it popped the only thing I could think was that my seat tube had cracked.

Mutt

Charles M
08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
News flash...

Every fastener on that bike is subject to failure after 16 years. Not spontaneous explosive internet thread failure, but more like "my dog was 18 man years old and died" type failure.

Joachim
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
News flash...

Every fastener on that bike is subject to failure after 16 years. Not spontaneous explosive internet thread failure, but more like "my dog was 18 man years old and died" type failure.

Not saying it was 16 years old. It could've been 16 weeks old. If it was 16 years old I'm more than willing to let it go to it's grave. Hereby "my seatpost binder bolt was 16 man years old and snapped, not psychologically, but physically". :)

Gummee
08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I've had Campy SP binder bolts snap pretty early in their lives. I'm not sure what is going on metallurgically, but its a common break.

I got to the point where there was permanently a spare in my 'on the road repair kit' as well as my race bag.

M

DHallerman
08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Since then, I've replaced my Campagnolo seatpost binder bolts with Sugino.

Me, too. Me, too.

I have great distaste for Campy seatpost binder bolts. I read once they're meant to snap after a few tightenings.

e-RICHIE
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I have great distaste for Campy seatpost binder bolts. I read once they're meant to snap after a few tightenings.

now we have as well atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Squint
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
It happened to me quite a few times until I switched to non-Campy bolts.

Hindmost
08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
As has been said, it happens. Especially, if when tightened the seatpost lug faces are not parallel the bolt takes a set. When losened and retightened the bolt head weakens until failure.

flydhest
08-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Just so I am clear about my issue, I know for a fact that it was my fault when I snapped them. I can be a ham-handed nunkhead, especially when in a hurry.

e-RICHIE
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Just so I am clear about my issue, I know for a fact that it was my fault when I snapped them. I can be a ham-handed nunkhead, especially when in a hurry.

regardless of your issues, how often are you (guys) taking an allen key to
these bad boys? once the seat post is set, it's kinda' sorta' set. i don't think
i have touched mine in 2-3 seasons atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :) :)
:cool: :) :)

flydhest
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
these bad boys? once the seat post is set, it's kinda' sorta' set. i don't think
i have touched mine in 2-3 seasons atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :) :)

I'm with you. It has happened only when I have let "friends" borrow the bike and adjusted the saddle. I usually regrease about once every other year unless I am letting someone else use. The problem is each time, I didn't think about it and hopped on, rode away, thought, oh, it's not right, at the first stop sign, tried to adjust, but, as usual, was late to join the team, tried to do things too quickly, snap. Totally a f'up on my part.

I completely agree that "user error" whether in ham handedness or not being able to stop yourself from playing with your tool, leads to the issues.

e-RICHIE
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I completely agree that "user error" whether in ham handedness or not being able to stop yourself from playing with your tool, leads to the issues.

that can speak to more than just seat post bolts atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:D :D :D
:D :D :D
;) :D :D

thwart
08-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Now they tell me.

Maybe I can stop shaving my hands sometime soon...

Joachim
08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
these bad boys?

Could be part of the problem, had to do it 3 times in the past few weeks. The first build (1), readjust during riding (2) and to remove/regrease after an extended training session in the rain (3). In hindsight I should've left it after the rain, but the Merckx still needs a drainhole in the BB.