PDA

View Full Version : Chipped/Nicked Aluminum Finish

Monthly Payment
08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
I bought a Cannondale Capo last winter as a project. Its a raw aluminum finish which I really like. However, the top tube is chipped and scratched from the previous owner carrying his chain lock on the top tube. The damaged finish is about 8" long but the rest of the bike's paint is perfect. I considered a repaint but I really like the subtle silver decals and everything on there now but for the damage.

My shop recommended Simichrome aluminum polish but I don't want the bike to be shiny or mirror finished - I just want to get the bike back to the point where I can ride it without it looking too funky or concerned about any corrosion from losing the clearcoat layer. Sandpaper? Any thoughts? Would putting a sticker over the scratched area be enough to protect it? Its a prime spot for my sweat to land on.

AngryScientist
08-01-2011, 10:11 AM
is that clearcoat that's scratched? or is it a truly brushed alu finish with no clear over it?

davidlee
08-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that frames got a coat of clear over the nude aluminum.. The only fix for that is to knock it down ( the whole frame with particular attention to the scratched areas) with wet 600grit and have a new clear shot on it .

Monthly Payment
08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that frames got a coat of clear over the nude aluminum.. The only fix for that is to knock it down ( the whole frame with particular attention to the scratched areas) with wet 600grit and have a new clear shot on it .

I think you're right. Sorry, I don't know all the technical terms but I'm fairly certain its brushed then clear coated.

The fix you describe sounds like a lot of work for a bike I effectively traded an iPod for. I think the sticker over the scratched area will be my short term fix for now.

Thanks!