PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Creek Bike Trail...... Denver

Todd Owen
07-05-2005, 11:27 AM
I just rode the CherryCreek bike trail from downtown Denver about 35 miles this weekend for the first time. MOST DANGEROUS RIDE IN MY LIFE!!!! I noticed there were alot of Tri-athletes swerving with the time trial bars, every aluminum Specialized bike sold in the last 2 years, and way too many riders going way too fast for such tight a trail. I was shocked at the riders who would hammer in a mini pace line while just missing slower riders and walkers/runners on the trail. I think I will stick with the roads as they are IMHO much safer that this trac. I would challege all the pseudo racers to enter a sanctioned race where they are not passing grandma and her friends cruising the trail and see how fun racing really can be. I also observed the trail is FLAT so you can build up alot of speed regardless of your ability. My favorite act was when my wife slowed down to avoid a stoller with a family and got a dirty look from a couple hammering at 25 mph, and the safety my wife thought necessary caused the pseudo racers to slow down for a fraction of a second. oh please! WAY too much testosterone and by the way the uglist collection of jerseys I have ever seen. Thank goodness for roads to ride on!!!!!!

Tailwinds
07-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I ride this trail very often, but I avoided it last weekend b/c of the holiday. The holiday weekends, especially when combined w/this fantastic weather, are usually way too busy on the CC Trail and also the Platte River Trail. Have you checked out the section of trail that is now completed on the north side of Denver? It runs through Commerce City and right into Golden. It seems not many people (including cyclists) know it's open yet, and it's usually a pleasure to ride... lots of trees and water, very peaceful.

The last couple of times I've been on the CC trail near downtown, I've seen a couple of riders (riding solo) speed between other cyclists and/or pedestrians when they shouldn't have. Usually when I see it, I'm slowing behind a slower trail user to wait for an oncoming person to pass, when the person behind THEM sees a small opening and goes for it. :no: Yikes, what a recipe for disaster.

Todd Owen
07-05-2005, 12:08 PM
thanks for the info I assumed it was like this all the time! I will try the trail to Golden Thanks.

crossjunkee
07-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I just moved to Denver from the midwest. Not only do I find the trails dangerous, the cyclists in general are not very friendly! I typically ride the Platt trail South to Chattfield and hit the road to Deer Creek canyon. I'm amazed daily at the number of "cyclists" in time trial position! The bike trails are not wide enough and there are too many blind corners.

Where are the safe less traveled roads out of Denver? Are there any group rides? Riding is as much fun as it is frustrating here.

Ozz
07-05-2005, 12:58 PM
The Burke-Gilman / Samammish River Trail system here gets way more than it's fair share of use by cyclists, strollers, skaters, dog walkers,....you name it.

It does have a posted 15 mph speed limit, and occasionally the police set up camp with a radar gun and hand out tickets.

However, in the most congested part (by the U of W) they have signs indicating the "fast bicyclist bypass" which directs those with excess testoserone to burn to a road....it is amazing (unbelieveable?) the riders that use the trail for fast training...it's a recovery ride route at best.

I usually avoid this trail (for all the reasons listed above) except for very early AM rides...after 9:00 it is just a parking lot.... :cool:

Tailwinds
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
The best resource I found when I moved here a couple of years ago was www.teamevergreen.org. They have tons of maps to get you started. They have plenty of group rides. I'm not sure how you like to ride, but I'd advise printing out the map associated w/any of their group rides that you attend. They are a very strong bunch of riders!

I have also noticed that most of the cyclists here are... "reserved." That's a polite way of saying it. Some of the friendliest riders I've met going up Deer Creek Canyon happen to be the ones that race professionally or the top amateur levels. I guess they are a little more secure and don't need to show off to a mortal like me. As far as safety, I think the best time to ride Deer Creek is mid-morning on a weekday (not very conducive to WORKING, huh). Weekday evenings are not so fun in the canyon, and even early mornings can be rough w/people driving to work.

Group rides here are much different than where I moved from (FL). It's harder to stick together w/all the climbing, and there's such a huge range of abilities. People seem to ride moslty in smaller groups or solo.

If you race and want a hardcore training ride, try the Meridian ride off of I-25 and Lincoln on Tues./Thurs. nights. It's flat-ish and is a nice circuit. You might recognize some pro's there. It's super, super-fast.

boulder_courier
07-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Are there any group rides? .

Rocky Mountain Cycling Club has organized group rides almost every weekend of the year...

http://www.rmccrides.com

crossjunkee
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I've yet to show up at Meridian. A few people have mentioned it to me.

Mountain Man
07-05-2005, 03:40 PM
I never ride the Cherry Creek trail if I can avoid it. Way too crowded, especially on the weekends. I have a good friend who went over his bars when a dog on a leash went right in front of him and he had to slam on the breaks. Broke his collarbone in five places.

By contrast my wife and I did the Ralston Creek trail yesterday and it was almost deserted. You can catch the trail just east of Wadsworth where it meets the Clear Creek trail and it will take you out to Highway 93 north of Golden. We usually do a loop out of Golden that includes a portion of the Clear Creek Trail, some riding on Highway 93 (about 2 miles or so), and the Ralston Creek Trail. It is almost exactly 30 miles and the trails are so winding that in most places you really can't go much fast than 15 mph or so, even if you wanted to. Our average speed yesterday was about 12 mph. Just a spin in the park.

I'm also a big fan of the Platte River trail north of REI. Almost deserted. You can make a nice long loop combining that with the Clear Creek trail.

dirtdigger88
07-05-2005, 03:42 PM
It does have a posted 15 mph speed limit, and occasionally the police set up camp with a radar gun and hand out tickets.

what kind of ticket do you get- does it go against your driving record- I have always wanted to get a ticket on my bike- I even try to ride as fast as I can through speed traps- the cops usually just smile and shake their heads at me.

Jason

Ozz
07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
what kind of ticket do you get- does it go against your driving record- I have always wanted to get a ticket on my bike- I even try to ride as fast as I can through speed traps- the cops usually just smile and shake their heads at me.

Jason
now that I think about it, they may not be "moving violation" tickets...just sort of "Official Reminders" to slow the f*ck down.

Hope you don't mind if I borrow your "f*ck" word... :p

dirtdigger88
07-05-2005, 07:09 PM
now that I think about it, they may not be "moving violation" tickets...just sort of "Official Reminders" to slow the f*ck down.

Hope you don't mind if I borrow your "f*ck" word... :p

feel free to use the word all you need- its not my word-

here, see for yourself

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-f-word.htm

Jason

boulder_courier
07-05-2005, 09:12 PM

Jason

In Colorado your driver's license is not penalized when you commit a traffic offense while riding your bicycle. However, you are given the same monetary fine as a motor vehicle for the same offense, e.g. , running a stop sign, etc.

Jim

smcg21
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree with you about the Cherry Creek Trail on weekends. People are so rude that we've taken to making our own way on-street. At least motorists know the rules--and usually follow them, unlike the cyclists on the trail. The only time I ride it is in winter when all those macho wannabees stay indoors--guess they can't take the cold! And here's the thing--I'm not a wimpy rider myself, and have been riding since before some of those jerks were born. Grrr.

As for other rides in Denver--get a copy of the Denver Bicycle Touring Club's map. It covers the entire metro area, including Boulder and Louisville. Shows the bike paths, plus tons of great on-street routes.

fierte_poser
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
smcg21,

You just resurrected a 3-year old thread! :crap:

:banana:

Welcome to the forum.

Kent

chuckred
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh, and don't let her fool you with her modesty - she's a strong rider!

I rode Morrison - downtown via the Bear Creek and Platte River trails off and on for a couple of years when I was working down there. I always enjoyed not dealing with cars, and never had any experience that scared me - other than coming out of the sun under an overpass and finding a homeless guy asleep across the trail. Luckily someone had warned me or I would have been practicing my bunny hops!

The secret is to be willing to slow down when you see kids, homeless, or anyone that looks squirrly. Pacelines... as mentioned - wouldn't be a good idea.

Team Evergreen has great rides. There's also a Team Evergreen racing club - wide range of interests, skills and speeds. Great training rides during the late fall - winter (Saturdays) and early spring (any temperature/wind you're willing to ride in, and as long as the roads are "mostly" dry. Summer training rides are less structured on weekends due to individual schedules (show and go at the Conoco at the corner of Rooney Road and Morrison road at 9 am. Wed climbing rides are also going through the summer.

Club rides are on Sundays with a variety of routes.I tend to ride more on my own during the summer due to schedule though.

There's really no excuse to live here and not have great riding - but you just may need to explore a bit more.

I also recommend Road Biking Colorado by Michael Seeberg - you should be able to get it at most Denver bike shops, or Tattered Cover (if you're new to the area and haven't checked them out, you're missing something!).

And - after all that - we haven't even mentioned mountain biking (or cross for that matter).