PDA

View Full Version : Why I love traveling on Southwest

Bruce K
08-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Arrive at Logan Airport (Boston) traveling to Denver for Copper Triangle.

The woman at the check-in counter asks what's in the Bike Pro rolling suitcase and I answer that it's a bicycle and ask if my Amex is OK (they say they have a $50 fee for bikes).

She responds "Oh, there's no fee for a bicycle in a bike bag." The thud from my jaw hitting the floor must have been audible but now I've got one more reason to love SWA.

BK

PS - To top it off the TSA agent at the oversized luggage inspection station actually allowed me to open the box for him and re-pack everything when he was done poking, wanding, and unpacking everything.

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 06:25 AM
for over a year. My wife uses it exclusively and the few times I have used it in the last year to see my daughter and do Ride the Rockies, they have been excellent. I am a million miler on AMERICAN and even with that status they do not match Southwest for service and being on time.

BumbleBeeDave
08-01-2011, 09:40 AM
. . . and so many horror stories from others, I've gotten to the point of where if SWA doesn't fly there, then I re-evaluate my plans to go there!

BBD

saab2000
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Southwest is the best passenger airline in the United States. Every other airline should look to them to see how it's done. From the top to the bottom and back to the top it is, by far, the best run airline out there.

Why?

1. Focus on the customer
2. Accountability

Why is this formula so hard for other airlines to emulate?

I work in the airlines (not for Southwest unfortunately) and I know of what I speak.

Nooch
08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Southwest appears to be okay, unless you're Kevin Smith.

(link if you don't know what I'm referencing: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20344142,00.html )

rugbysecondrow
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
. . . and so many horror stories from others, I've gotten to the point of where if SWA doesn't fly there, then I re-evaluate my plans to go there!

BBD

YES! To take that a step further, when my wife and I were looking to relocate, we looked at locations where Southwest has service as a criteria.

I fly often for work and I always try to fly Southwest, happy employees that treat customers well. I could go on, but the truth is that when at a customer service cross roads, they choose the customer, I can't say the same thing for United, Delta or some of the others.

Also, is it just me or has leg room increased a little lately? Or maybe leg room on others has decreased so much that Southwest just feels roomier.

Joachim
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Good to know about Southwest, since they just started flying out of Charleston, SC (which has horrible connections to just about anywhere)

Muttleyone
08-01-2011, 10:15 AM
for over a year. My wife uses it exclusively and the few times I have used it in the last year to see my daughter and do Ride the Rockies, they have been excellent. I am a million miler on AMERICAN and even with that status they do not match Southwest for service and being on time.

Pete, I'm sorry you had this experience with American. As an employee this always troubles me to hear something like this and for a million miler to boot. American has always been geared a little more to the business traveler so to hear that from a million miler is not good.
From an employee I would to say I'm sorry you have had this problems and hope your future travels go better.

Thanks for flying AA
Mutt

saab2000
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Pete, I'm sorry you had this experience with American. As an employee this always troubles me to hear something like this and for a million miler to boot. American has always been geared a little more to the business traveler so to hear that from a million miler is not good.
From an employee I would to say I'm sorry you have had this problems and hope your future travels go better.

Thanks for flying AA
Mutt

Mutt,

I won't say who I work for but it's associated with a legacy carrier. But it's an outsourced position.

We both know that outsourcing removes accountability from the chain between the management of the brand name (American, United, Southwest, whomever...) and the fact is that Southwest does very little, if any, outsourcing. It shows. The folks you see at the check-in? Southwest. Folks at the gate? Southwest. Folks you see loading bags? Southwest. The list goes on and on.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but that's why service has gone downhill. Most large airlines have chosen to outsource a shocking amount of their service and in the case of United Airlines you have only about a 50% chance of actually interacting with a United employee or being flown on a United aircraft if you buy a ticket from them.

Why do I harp on this? Because it should be so obvious that outsourcing has a negative impact on everyone except the upper management's bonus structure. Anyway, I don't wish to digress too far.

But Southwest is the best for a reason - Customer service and accountability all the way to the top.

retrogrouchy
08-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Mutt,

I won't say who I work for but it's associated with a legacy carrier. But it's an outsourced position.

We both know that outsourcing removes accountability from the chain between the management of the brand name (American, United, Southwest, whomever...) and the fact is that Southwest does very little, if any, outsourcing. It shows. The folks you see at the check-in? Southwest. Folks at the gate? Southwest. Folks you see loading bags? Southwest. The list goes on and on.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but that's why service has gone downhill. Most large airlines have chosen to outsource a shocking amount of their service and in the case of United Airlines you have only about a 50% chance of actually interacting with a United employee or being flown on a United aircraft if you buy a ticket from them.

Why do I harp on this? Because it should be so obvious that outsourcing has a negative impact on everyone except the upper management's bonus structure. Anyway, I don't wish to digress too far.

But Southwest is the best for a reason - Customer service and accountability all the way to the top.

That makes perfect sense to me, and I've had nothing but excellent (and sometimes even entertaining, in the past) experiences with Southwest.

DreaminJohn
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
While I would never opine differently than the folks in the industry, I am experiencing a disconnect on this one.

If I take what Saab is saying and combine that with the fact that Southwest is the only consistently profitable carrier (at least in the US - dunno about globally), why WOULDN'T the other carriers structure themselves similarly? Union issues?

And please, let's not turn this political or union-bashing. I'm just trying to understand.

rugbysecondrow
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
While I would never opine differently than the folks in the industry, I am experiencing a disconnect on this one.

If I take what Saab is saying and combine that with the fact that Southwest is the only consistently profitable carrier (at least in the US - dunno about globally), why WOULDN'T the other carriers structure themselves similarly? Union issues?

And please, let's not turn this political or union-bashing. I'm just trying to understand.

I don't think it is union bashing to say that the unions have a stranglehold on many imperfect entities (public school systems), government, airline industry.

From what I have read, it seems that Southwest was setup properly from inception, one type of aircraft, that means air crew, baggage handling, flight attendants...everything is standardized. They are constantly working to perfect THE process, I emphasize THE because with one plane they only need to focus on one way of accomplishing a task vs. United which has numerous variations of plane sizes. Knowing all that, it seems hard for other airlines to retool now. Frankly, I also think there is a good bit of arrogance with the other airlines, have you spoken with a United employee recently? They are so important they will charge YOU for the privilege of speaking with them.

MadRocketSci
08-01-2011, 12:18 PM
any positive/negatives on Frontier Airlines (hub in denver). Their stated policy is that "bikes fly free"...

Lovetoclimb
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Looking to get out to Denver via Dayton and the nearest SW airports are 2 hours in several directions . Dayton is less than 1 and I have family to pick me up / drop me off.

Reading the fine print on Frontier's website they state bikes fly free so long as the case/bag/box its packed in is < 109 linear inches ( L + W + H )

Maybe a bit difficult for my 60cm bikes but willing to give it a go if people have good experiences.

swg
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
What is the policy for SW regarding size, weight, type of bag, etc.. to fly free?

1centaur
08-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Adding to the Southwest story, in addition to the tone being set and maintained by management from early on, creating a good culture, the routes selected were profitable city pairs rather than creating a hub and spoke empire. Profitable routes and not overloading with debt allowed Southwest not to be forced into the cost cutting game that the legacy carriers employ. Last I knew Southwest has unions too, but unions in profitable well run companies are not the intractable cost problem they are in the opposite.

Muttleyone
08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't think it is union bashing to say that the unions have a stranglehold on many imperfect entities (public school systems), government, airline industry.

From what I have read, it seems that Southwest was setup properly from inception, one type of aircraft, that means air crew, baggage handling, flight attendants...everything is standardized. They are constantly working to perfect THE process, I emphasize THE because with one plane they only need to focus on one way of accomplishing a task vs. United which has numerous variations of plane sizes. Knowing all that, it seems hard for other airlines to retool now. Frankly, I also think there is a good bit of arrogance with the other airlines, have you spoken with a United employee recently? They are so important they will charge YOU for the privilege of speaking with them.

I think a lot of it has to do with accountants running an airline. The only thing they understand is the bottom line. Customer service doesn't show up on the spread sheet.

Mutt

weiwentg
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM

It's true that airlines are heavily unionized (like the public sector), but it also appears that Southwest is heavily unionized: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines (see organized labor)

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with accountants running an airline. The only thing they understand is the bottom line. Customer service doesn't show up on the spread sheet.

Mutt

Accountants lose track on anything but numbers for that drives executive bonuses and large stock buying companies profits.

This very seldom has a positive LONG TERM result on company.

At this point, unless revenue is going up, it also is a poor longterm "happiness" foundation for the "orange" or service costs can only be squeezed so hard. :crap:

Today AA charges for everything, about half the flights are late system wide, If a plane gets cancelled they are running so lean that there is not much they have to put in service to get folks back on. They blame on the weather and that puts expense on the traveler.

AA is not the worse at the moment but they are not good. There are worse ones but at best AA based on my experiences over the past two years is in the lower half

Some of the reps are excellent but they are stretched VERY thin based on my dealings. When I do luckily get connected with them = = It is SERVICE and professional always.

Pete Serotta
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
It's true that airlines are heavily unionized (like the public sector), but it also appears that Southwest is heavily unionized: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines (see organized labor)

I was never UNION but leadership among the EXECs is lacking. Look at FORD and how they have done with product, marketing, and quality over the past couple of years. It was a partnership with leadership and a sharing team (union and non union.)

so so easy to blame unions....and yes, some of the union items do need to change with the times, as EXECs need to give some back. NJ and some of the other have a "front and center" on not being in touch with the world, education, or value.... JUST MY 2 cents and BB Dave might have to delete or close "me" :no:

Climb01742
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Accountants lose track on anything but numbers for that drives executive bonuses and large stock buying companies profits.

This very seldom has a positive LONG TERM result on company.

At this point, unless revenue is going up, it also is a poor longterm "happiness" foundation for the "orange" or service costs can only be squeezed so hard. :crap:

Today AA charges for everything, about half the flights are late system wide, If a plane gets cancelled they are running so lean that there is not much they have to put in service to get folks back on. They blame on the weather and that puts expense on the traveler.

AA is not the worse at the moment but they are not good. There are worse ones but at best AA based on my experiences over the past two years is in the lower half

Some of the reps are excellent but they are stretched VERY thin based on my dealings. When I do luckily get connected with them = = It is SERVICE and professional always.

pete, i also have an ungodly number of miles on AA too and the decline of AA the last 5-10 years is shocking and sad. once, AA was a pleasure to fly and their senior crews offered the best treatment a flier could hope for. now... :crap:

CaptStash
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
As a guy who flies about 100,000 miles a year I have had a good time following this thread. I agree that SWA can be pretty convenient, especially if you book the Business Select seats which guarantee you a good boarding number. Unfortunately I have had terrible luck in the last year with SWA's on time performance. It's been quite a disappointment.

My #1 airline (the one I have the most miles on) is Alaska Airlines which I have to say is right up there with SWA as far as customer service. They are Seattle based so are a great option for me and I have rarely met an AK employee who wasn't courteous and friendly.

The other thing that is important for me is that I get upgraded frequently and when I don't I get a guaranteed exit row seat which is pretty important since I use the time on board to work (I need the extra space for the computer). If I don't get the work done on the plane, it's time I have to take at home and time away from riding my bike.

See I brought it home and back to bikes!

CaptStassh....

Bradford
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
any positive/negatives on Frontier Airlines (hub in denver). Their stated policy is that "bikes fly free"...
I've been Summit (Frontier's highest level) for the last 5 years. I love Frontier...it is easily my favorite airline. And to put things in context, I have flown a lot for business over the last 20 years, including many years where I flew almost every week.

Frontier planes are nice, the seats are comfortable, and the crew is friendly...and most the planes have TV, which is a huge advantage when you fly frequently. When you are Summit you get the bigger seats for free and free TV, but I end up in the back of the plane every now and then and it is still better than the majors.

I go way out of my way to fly frontier, including scheduling meetings around their flight schedule and avoiding work in cities where they don't fly. My order of preference is Frontier, Jet Blue (also has TV), Southwest...then try assign the trip to someone else so I don't have to fly.

dschlichting
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
We just got back last week from Phoenix (civilian trip --with wife) on Frontier from LGA via DEN. I'm in the business as well and get the feeling that Frontier generally knows what they're doing. I've also contacted their customer relations people a couple of times got quick responses --which shocked the heck out of me.

firerescuefin
08-01-2011, 08:28 PM
My first choice...with SW 1A.

Bikes fly free, but only with Classic Plus...which averages about 15-20 extra for round trip and also gives you complimentary direct tv. Money well spent.