PDA

View Full Version : Any framebuilders at DC?

ultraman6970
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
ANybody knows? ANybody doing brazing even for hobby ???

palincss
08-01-2011, 05:55 AM
If "DC" means metro Washington DC, would you consider Baltimore within scope? There are two frame builders I know of, Chris Bishop (http://www.bishopbikes.com/frames) and Tom Palermo (http://www.palermobicycles.com/) who work out of Baltimore.

ultraman6970
08-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks.. sent an email to palermo yesterday before asking here, forgot bishop, I'll give him a call i guess...

harlond
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
If Baltimore is within range, then maybe Aaron Dykstra in Roanoke is, too.

bicycletricycle
08-01-2011, 09:04 AM
bilenky isnt that far........

Doug Fattic
08-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I just went through my list of students that have taken my framebuilding class and found 4 with mailing addresses right in the metro DC area. All of them did a good job. email or call me if you want to find out how to get in touch with one of them.

sashae
08-01-2011, 10:12 AM
John Hollands in Reisterstown, MD is still building. I'd try contacting Larry Black at College Park Cycles/Mt. Airy Bikes to get contact information.

dbh
08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Check out Tommy Nash of Nash cycles in Baltimore. No one that I know of is building frames in the DC area commercially.

ultraman6970
08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Actually I found this in one of my frames and needs to be fixed. It is a hairline crack around 1 inch in lenght. It is so small that I thought using JB-weld but doubt it will stand the stress. 3M has a better product that is so good that is not being sold in stores hehe :)

Even thought in carbon fiber and wrap all that area with it, but needs to be fixed right i guess...

I could try myself using mapp, but I'm really afraid of burning the tubing or something.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j426/ultraman6970/crack.jpg

ultraman6970
08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
If Baltimore is within range, then maybe Aaron Dykstra in Roanoke is, too.

Just sent an email to aaron... thanks :)

Gummee
08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Don't forget Paisley out of Charlottesville.

He's been around for a LONG time. :nod

M

ultraman6970
08-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks, sent a few emails, lets see what happens.

charlie68
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Luke Sandusky at Lutherville Bikes is building steel road and mountain bikes so he might be able to help.

ultraman6970
08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Charlie thanks a lot for the idea, just called him and he actually answered the phone :D Just sent him an email so lets see what can be done. Wonder if possible to tig that thing instead of brazing it.

anomaly
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a friend who lives in DC who could fix it, but he is on a bike tour on the west coast right now. Tom Palermo built a touring bike for me, photos in the custom frame forum, that is top notch.

You still have the Pinarello I sold you some years back?

ultraman6970
08-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Oh havent talked to you in centuries :D Do you still have the track wheels I built???? We trade stuff, do you remember? :P I was not able to sell those wheels and u were stuck with the frame :p

No i dont have it, actually I re painted it, never got time or money to put the frame together, then went to another guy, then that guy sold it to another guy from the forums and that 3 weeks after I sold him something else in CL hehe :) Then the subject about a blue pinarello came up, then some names came up and yes, was the same frame. Small world.

That pinarello last time was in California and was sold to somebody else. I still have the headset parts moving around tho.

Sent an email to palermo but haven't heard from him. I think he will pass and the other guys I contacted as well... Do you think you could ask your friend??

anomaly
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh havent talked to you in centuries :D Do you still have the track wheels I built???? We trade stuff, do you remember? :P I was not able to sell those wheels and u were stuck with the frame :p

No i dont have it, actually I re painted it, never got time or money to put the frame together, then went to another guy, then that guy sold it to another guy from the forums and that 3 weeks after I sold him something else in CL hehe :) Then the subject about a blue pinarello came up, then some names came up and yes, was the same frame. Small world.

That pinarello last time was in California and was sold to somebody else. I still have the headset parts moving around tho.

Sent an email to palermo but haven't heard from him. I think he will pass and the other guys I contacted as well... Do you think you could ask your friend??
I sold the wheels last year after putting several thousand miles on them between the track and road use. They held up perfectly =)

That Pinny has been around the block, thats for sure.

weiwentg
08-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Thread drift - does anyone know a shop in DC that will service Campy ergolevers? otherwise my levers are going to Vecchio's.

dbh
08-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't have any first hand experience with an ergo rebuild from them, but you may want to ring Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown. Lots of Campy goodness in there, and they may know their way around the innards of an ergolever or two.

flydhest
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Pro Shop in Georgetown does not seem very interseted in servicing levers. Noel (service manager) tried to sell me on a whole new gruppo instead of thinking of rebuilding the shifters. As it turns out, I don't think the shifters need rebuilding either way. I think we are a bit out of luck with the right kind of shop in DC. Tony, one of the managers there, is fantastic. Overall, though, well, pm me and I'll give you more of my experience. They sponsor my team and have been enthusiastic about it, so that is good. My teammates, to my knowledge, have been pretty positive. The Campy shifter rebuild question, however, is one that I had particular experience with and Noel was much less than helpful.

ultraman6970
08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Sure they held fine, I built them :P the hubs were nice isnt? now the guy is making them for road but are too expensive.

Yes it has been everywhere ;)

I sold the wheels last year after putting several thousand miles on them between the track and road use. They held up perfectly =)

That Pinny has been around the block, thats for sure.

ultraman6970
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
U can do them your self, a lot of guides moving around, the only hard part is the darn spring in the last stage before to put the last screw :) all of the other ones are piece of cake. I bought the parts in Revolution Cycles at arlington/wilson blv. But for sure conte's have them too, or the bicycle pro shop over there in M street around the key bridge.

If you are going to do the job yourself I advice you to buy a set of small hooks in different sizes because your hands could be too big to hold some stuff and have a vice or something to hold a handlebar because it makes the job way easier to have the darn shifter attached firmer to something else. Besides that is not hard.

Good luck.

Thread drift - does anyone know a shop in DC that will service Campy ergolevers? otherwise my levers are going to Vecchio's.

djg
08-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Don't think I've had it done here, but if the Pro Shop doesn't pan out, try talking to Greg, at Conte's/Freshbikes in Arlington -- I don't know whether he'd do it, or for what charge, but that's where I'd start.

flydhest
08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
sounds like we are going to need a Serotta Forum DC ride sometime just after racing season ends and the weather cools own some.

weiwentg
08-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Don't think I've had it done here, but if the Pro Shop doesn't pan out, try talking to Greg, at Conte's/Freshbikes in Arlington -- I don't know whether he'd do it, or for what charge, but that's where I'd start.

I've been to Conte's and had some good interactions there, so I'll ask. Thanks!

zap
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I seem to remember that Spoke's Etc. rebuilt ergo levers.

weiwentg
08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
U can do them your self, a lot of guides moving around, the only hard part is the darn spring in the last stage before to put the last screw :) all of the other ones are piece of cake. I bought the parts in Revolution Cycles at arlington/wilson blv. But for sure conte's have them too, or the bicycle pro shop over there in M street around the key bridge.

If you are going to do the job yourself I advice you to buy a set of small hooks in different sizes because your hands could be too big to hold some stuff and have a vice or something to hold a handlebar because it makes the job way easier to have the darn shifter attached firmer to something else. Besides that is not hard.

Good luck.

Yes, I can and I have done this myself. But it was a PITA. Furthermore, the return spring for my right shifter's secondary lever is broken (such that the downshift paddle doesn't snap back). This is probably because I made an amateur mistake and followed too close to someone on the Mt Vernon trail - overlapped wheels and went down, probably damaging that spring. anyway, I don't know how to fix that!

djg
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
sounds like we are going to need a Serotta Forum DC ride sometime just after racing season ends and the weather cools own some.

Excellent idea.

But maybe before the racing season ends. Just getting the dirty party started at Charm City, third weekend in September.

ultraman6970
08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Would be interesting... I dont have a serotta tho.